Guy says he'll give me his Bose 901's if my speakers outperform...

dtximages

True story. I was surfing Craigslist a little while ago and here is the add:

"That's right. Bring me your speakers and we will test them against these. If your speakers out perform these then I'll give them to you, if not then you'll have to pay me before you leave with them. Show me the cash first. The absolute best of the Bose 901 series speakers purchased new in 1972, no foam surrounds on these speakers! "

Which one's should I bring? If he's serious, I might bring the KG 3.5s because I think it would be funny to make a clear winner out of a speaker half its cost.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is that the test is entirely subjective. Hell say his sound better no matter what.

No foam surrounds?? All 9 drivers have foam surrounds, I don't know what he's referring to there, unless all the foam rotted off (common) and there's none left. In that case, they'll sound like a couple fart cans.

I hate to bust the bubble but it sounds like a "scam" to me. Plus, who makes the call when it comes to deciding which one outperforms the other... No

Do you suppose that this guy drives a white van and cruises around shopping center parking lots?

The problem is that the test is entirely subjective. Hell say his sound better no matter what.

No foam surrounds?? All 9 drivers have foam surrounds, I don't know what he's referring to there, unless all the foam rotted off (common) and there's none left. In that case, they'll sound like a couple fart cans.

The first 901 Series 1 had cloth surrounds. He is correct No Foam.

The first 901 Series 1 had cloth surrounds. He is correct No Foam.

I'll certainly defer to you on that. I had a pair of IV's and a pair of VI's. They both had foam surrounds. Thought they all did.

I'd be very careful with this situation. Wants to see the money first. Maybe he just wants your money How many friends do you have that are willing to go with you for back up? If it sounds too good to be true it most likely is. If I were going into a situation like this I would most likely be packing, but I really think I'd stand back and avoid this one. Not worth the hassle that could come with it............... [:(] .................Taz

Bose people can be a little fanatical, he would have been in for a big suprise.... You have to admit, for such a small speaker they do create a lot of sound in a little package. I just sold some series vi's that I bought with stands for 29$. I do miss working outside with them on full blast and never worrying about blowing them up or caring. The funny thing is my 5 yr didnt say a word when they disappeared from his play room, when I parted with my cornwalls about a 1yr and a half ago, to this day he says " I miss the speakers with the tweeter and the midrange and the woofer"

I will say out of a few pair i'v owned and yes the series1 are clothe and series 5&6 are rubber the rest are foam(oem)...bose 901's push out one hell of a lot of air. Without the bose eq at high watts its a bit shocking to be honest at very high volume levels.Turn them around(which is identical to a bose 802 panarays pa speaker)and is what paul klipsch done with his less than 4 min approx. 3min 40sec audition with a pair of 901's and you will see air move out of them like no other until you test other speaker/air movement. Sound quality is average in their optimum set up in perfect corners but with a huge 200watt perch amp they are LOUD fart cans. I would take your heresys with a 12x12 tube amp and you will make him cry. carry a weapon to protect your gear