Anyone listen to 78s?

Tarheel

It looks like a very early direct drive system. The modern Technics direct drive decks have the stator in the base and the rotor bolted to the bottom of the platter. It's about as simple as a drive system can be, apart from the control circuitry that maintains the constant platter rotation speed.

That tiny platter suggests that the machine is made to play 7" records, or is it possible to play 12" discs on it as well?

I found these boxes to add to the couple hundred or so I already have...found them in my uncles garage along with a mobile player.

9789724434_8eb982a535_c.jpg

9789702035_bef31ba823_c.jpg

9789698675_0d83944d2d_c.jpg

9789783963_dac17cfc43_c.jpg

9789720564_0ee2745e58_c.jpg

Oh wow!!

I always buy Asian records when I see them. Don't know why but I love Korean or Japanese covers of American standards..... Too cool.

Standard single play discs, as shown in the images he uploaded, are 10" I suspect it would handle 12" as well. Those were mostly classical albums. Remember, these things were much more rigid than LPs.

That's true, and the tonearm length looks roughly like the 9"-10" we see in modern gear, plus the spindle-to-tonearm-pivot distance looks right, and yet something looks off. I wonder what the top side of the platter looks like? Seeing that heavy layer of rust seems so out of place on a piece of audio equipment.

It would be helpful to see the turntable with the platter in place and a record sitting on it.

Could the little "pointer" between noon and 3 o'clock be part of the rpm sensor system? That would suggest it's not using a synchronous motor that uses the AC frequency for correct speed, but instead uses circuitry of its own.

If the screws holding up the stator support spider have soft (probably long since hardened by now) rubber washers on them, that could be a rudimentary suspension system. The spacing of those screws also seems a bit strange. I'm not at all familiar with old turntables, but this one has features that suggest to me that it could be a better-quality unit, not just a basic clunker.

Since that portable player is electric and not acoustic, the tracking force should be much lower than it would be on the old windup jobs, so the records could be in decent shape.

Also, I wonder if it came with a dedicated speaker, to make a player kit, since most people at that time would not have had a suitable portable speaker sitting around?

I do 78's but I don't do bulk and really only buy the 78s in books.The condition is usually very good if kept in books. I try to only collect those I'll listening to or I'll be over run with them.

Those books are where the expression "record album" came from, even though it made no sense when it was later applied to single LPs, but you probably knew that already.

Young guy: "Have you heard Led Zeppelin's new album?"

Old guy: "What album? There's only one record."

Half a century later, young guy is old, and old guy is listening to angels.

Half a century later, young guy is old, and old guy is listening to angels.

Listening to Seraphim...Angels of the Highest Order. Angel

Dave

Seraphim, or Jimi Hendrix on the weekends, if they have weekends up there.

Once old guy started listening to young guy's albums, he found he liked the rockers as much as the big bands, and now he has time to hear them all.

Okay, that picture clears it up. The felt looks nice. You can see how it looked like rust on the bottom side. That seemed really odd.

Was there some kind of tonearm rest? You'd think a portable would certainly have a way to secure the tonearm.

Why not give it a test play with an old disposable disc, just to hear if it works? The player may even have a built-in amp to drive an outboard speaker.

I am scare to try anything because those steel needles look deadly!

That's true for the record if they've been used. While the tracking force is very high, the needles, when sharp, sit on the bottome of the groove. It's the sides that are modulated. The troughing and severe wear comes when the tip is no longer sharp causing the needle to be shorter and therefore wider. That causes it to smooth and damage the walls.

Unless it's unusually rare and disirable, I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try with a fresh needle just to see how it sounds.

Dave

• 2 months later...

While plundering through the Victor talking machine I found this item in the box......

It is inscribed Victor talking machine "Exhibition" and then Camden, NJ

What is it?

Looks like a Victor Exhibition reproducer. This is a very common reproducer produced by Victor Talking Machine Company and used with many of it's phonographs, issued as standard equipment with many of it's outside horn machines (Victors) and also the inside horn Victrola. This reproducer was designed for playback of acoustic recordings (roughly 1903-1924) from before the era of electrical recording. The Exhibition uses either steel needles or fibre needles for playback. But many of the old reproducers need to be rebuilt to experience the true sound that they are capable of. The gaskets are often dry and brittle, the needle bar springs may be worn out, and the mica diaphragm could be damaged or loose. When properly restored the sound from the Exhibition can be jaw dropping. Huge volume with steel needles. Remember these reproducers are very heavy, so they will wear the grooves of shellac records.

Victor produced a more refined No. 2 reproducer later during the acoustic era. This was replaced by the Orhthophonic reproducer in the mid 1920s to play the new electric recordings. Amazing acoustic playback of recordings made with the electrical process.

• Like 1

Just how long is the playing life with those needles? And how many plays of the discs before the high frequency loss reaches the point of the record not sounding very good anymore?

I'd expect that a modern turntable and tonearm would cause quite a bit less record wear per play than that classic unit.

If you look at many of the original sleeves, they state that you should use a fresh needle for every play. As to wear, they are amazingly resilient. I've many with visible groove enlargement that still sound good. I run my Empire TT at 6 grams. That's, of course 10 times what one may run on an LP, but still a fraction of what a vintage player might have. Wear with a proper stylus and modern cartridge is neglible.

Dave

Agreed. Don't play any rare discs on original Victrolas because the very heavy reproducer and steel needles will wear the shellac disc. But many 78s are numerous and common examples, so it can be enjoyable to play old 78s on an original phonograph. Use a new steel needle for each play. Only use the needle once and then discard the needle. Otherwise you risk serious wear to the groove.

So if I am getting this right from reading the first page. If I pick up a cart for playing 78s, I all so need a 78 equalizer to go with it. I ask because I should be getting my Dual 1019 back, and which my aunt has some 78s I can have. I thought about giving them a listen, thought it would be fun.

So if I am getting this right from reading the first page. If I pick up a cart for playing 78s, I all so need a 78 equalizer to go with it. I ask because I should be getting my Dual 1019 back, and which my aunt has some 78s I can have. I thought about giving them a listen, thought it would be fun.

My 78 project has been on hold but I would guess an equalizer is not mandatory. Maybe the other guys will check in later.