Where Does It All End.......

Tarheel

I really love the appearance of Tannoy Westminster Royal speakers and figured at their price, not to mention their weight, that they must be pretty wonderful. So today I went to take a longing look again and stumbled on David King's modifications of the Tannoy Westminster!

Yikes....it has to be modified? Internal wiring and new xovers to get it up to snuff?

Crestfallen is the word. I already had plans to order a pair and a third for a center channel once I get the right power ball numbers.

See jeffsplace.me/wordpress/p.=2135 or Google David King's Tannoy Westminster Royal modifications.

The fact that someone finds the need to modify them does not mean they are not "up to snuff"....Heck I've even heard of Klipsch owners modifying their Heritage speakers, it's as if PWK's hearing wasn't "up to snuff"..... :rolleyes:

Edited by oldenough
  • Like 1

In my own experience, and in the experience of friends and other that I have seen on forums, it ends like this.

You go through years of upgrading and changing out components, and finally hit a plateau where you can either make a major change (like speakers, or amps which will then require several other changes) or just be happy and stay where you are.

When this happens, if you choose the later, a major "downgrade" usually happens soon afterward. Many wind up selling most of the super expensive gear and settle in on a system that is much less than what they had, and they are just as happy. This was my experience and I have seen and known others who did the same thing.

• Like 2

When I completed my MCM-4 setup, the biggest thing Klipsch makes, I found myself sort of dead ended in upgrading. So now I'm fooling with smaller stuff again because I need to be fooling with something, it's fun, and it's a lot cheaper than fooling with big stuff.

It will end when I die.

• Like 1

Good points Guys.

I feel a need to do this, maybe a catharsis or something, so here is what I have been pondering. Feel free to set me straight.

I've often wondered if most of the folks here have as much money in their music as they do in their gear. I spend a lot of time and a little money trying to get the right sound from my system, buying this, upgrading that, and then am at a lost as to what I want to hear....again.

OB use to say "its' all about the music" but I have to answer that question for myself by saying "is it"? I guess I am more a gear head than a music lover in that I like to find the right recording to make the system I cobbled together the best it can be. Not as much time is spent assembling a great music collection. And of what music I do have hundreds of CDs and even more LPs sit on the shelf collecting dust. Honesty hurts.........

I find this hobby entertaining and thought provoking (as you can see), I have been a member of three different audio forums and appreciate the time spent reading and learning about all things audio. I even enjoy scheming as to how I can keep some of my 50 plus year old gear alive.

And while I am rambling....something Dean said about how revealing the jubilee system is bothers me. If the Jube makes the majority of one's recordings sound unlistenable by revealing too much.....then where are we? Has the 'top shelf' hardware now surpassed the availability of good source material. Have we arrived at "near live" reproduction capabilities only to find we have little to play on these dream systems?

That stream of thought leads me to ponder Dave's ideas about live recording as mentioned in the quad adaptor thread I believe. I must pull some of the Maple shade CDs recorded live, in house, on analog equipment to see how good they are.

Okay gents...answer all this then off to you Christmas parties!

Edited by Tarheel

There will always be someone with more and someone with less; money, time, education, hearing, etc. Serenity comes not from what you have but knowing what you can live without. Remember you are the only person who has to like your stereo. So, you decide how good is good enough.

• Like 2

More resolving systems render more recordings unlistenable, it is true. So make sure what you wish for.

I always have to have a hobby and have been doing woodwork and home improvement, and really enjoyign motorcycles. There will always be soemthing, but the audio upgrade path is pretty much over for me, at least as far as really expensive gear.

I have old beater La Scalas and K Horns that I will restore someday, just need to finish the house, then the shop, then buy more tools...

• Like 1

When I completed my MCM-4 setup, the biggest thing Klipsch makes, I found myself sort of dead ended in upgrading. So now I'm fooling with smaller stuff again because I need to be fooling with something, it's fun, and it's a lot cheaper than fooling with big stuff.

It will end when I die.

You pretty much nailed it!.......I have been pretty satisfied with the sound of my Khorn Bass BIns and Altec Midrange Horns, but that alone does not satisfy my need to Putz with things. So, I ordered a pair of Oris Horns to be delivered this coming Spring......My last upgrade will be a Boombox in my Coffin.

• Like 1

Why you buncha mamby pamby, skirt wearing, lickspittle, negativist, spoiled, whinning, tutu prancing, mime loving poor excuses for audiophiles. I'm almost ashamed to even be associated with such a bunch of tentative, hesitant, oh gosh, oh glory grandmothers masquerading as intelligent, affirmative and, lol, decisive arbitrators of all things audio.

Man up girlies. Westminster, sounds like something an English fop would own. Oh I have old Khorns that poor little ole me will have to get around to restoring someday.

Should I play with my music or am I playing with my toys and just pretending to like music.

Ten shut you dogs!

This is America. We can and will have it both ways. Any thing less smacks of defeatism and is defeatism the American Way? Hell no!

Why all over this great land, yearning, hungry audiophiles sit around the pathetic constructs of their systems, wishing they could trade in their Realistic speakers and Tandy amplifiers for something you take for granted. Yes, they wish too for music better than left over Trogs albums found along the side of the road. And yes, maybe just, maybe trade in their collection of Billy Joel albums for a single pristine copy of Barry Manilow singing The Carpenters Greatest Hits.

Tarheel, lose those Lascala. They are the crummy compromise in the Klipsch Heritage firmament, and that jumped up parvenu Klappenhammer has more than likely destroyed any sonic qualities with his high-minded meaningless theories on how to upstage those who design Klipsch horns, whom he perceives as dunderheads. Like he ever could.

Sell that crap and get some Jubs or Khorns, You all ready have everything else need to make them sing. And when they start to sing, maybe just maybe, you'll find some time to renew your acquaintance with your music collection. Music, after all, is, at it's most basic, mood. So when the mood strikes let it take you.

Tiger, if you lived closer I'd hit you over the head with once of those wrenches you purport to need.

Listen up. It's simple you dunderhead. Put fresh caps in the khorns, stick them in a corner, put some flowers on top of the cabs and fergit about the cosmetics and boogie on down.

• Like 2

Why you buncha mamby pamby, skirt wearing, lickspittle, negativist, spoiled, whinning, tutu prancing, mime loving poor excuses for audiophiles. I'm almost ashamed to even be associated with such a bunch of tentative, hesitant, oh gosh, oh glory grandmothers masquerading as intelligent, affirmative and, lol, decisive arbitrators of all things audio.

Man up girlies. Westminster, sounds like something an English fop would own. Oh I have old Khorns that poor little ole me will have to get around to restoring someday.

Should I play with my music or am I playing with my toys and just pretending to like music.

Ten shut you dogs!

This is America. We can and will have it both ways. Any thing less smacks of defeatism and is defeatism the American Way? Hell no!

Why all over this great land, yearning, hungry audiophiles sit around the pathetic constructs of their systems, wishing they could trade in their Realistic speakers and Tandy amplifiers for something you take for granted. Yes, they wish too for music better than left over Trogs albums found along the side of the road. And yes, maybe just, maybe trade in their collection of Billy Joel albums for a single pristine copy of Barry Manilow singing The Carpenters Greatest Hits.

Tarheel, lose those Lascala. They are the crummy compromise in the Klipsch Heritage firmament, and that jumped up parvenu Klappenhammer has more than likely destroyed any sonic qualities with his high-minded meaningless theories on how to upstage those who design Klipsch horns, whom he perceives as dunderheads. Like he ever could.

Sell that crap and get some Jubs or Khorns, You all ready have everything else need to make them sing. And when they start to sing, maybe just maybe, you'll find some time to renew your acquaintance with your music collection. Music, after all, is, at it's most basic, mood. So when the mood strikes let it take you.

Tiger, if you lived closer I'd hit you over the head with once of those wrenches you purport to need.

Listen up. It's simple you dunderhead. Put fresh caps in the khorns, stick them in a corner, put some flowers on top of the cabs and fergit about the cosmetics and boogie on down.

Wow!!! I have to put this speech right up there with two of the classic speeches of all time......

The Otter defense when the Deltas were on trial

http://youtu.be/ROxvT8KKdFw

Bluto's motivational speech to his Delta house brothers after the conviction of the Deltas

http://youtu.be/ep-xgd_eETE

Myself, I may see myself selling off less important items to fund new and intriguing items; however, in general I don't expect to downgrade, but I do figure at some point, while some of the gear may interest relatives and friends, I expect that an estate picker will end up stumbling upon my gear after I'm gone and recycle it for the next generation....

• Like 2

For me, I want to enjoy the music. I don't obsess over the equipment. My toes will get a tappin' with cheap pc speakers on occasion... then I know the music is good.

Wardsweb is correct, in that it is all in what WE have. Sort of falls along the lines of the recenlty passed guitarist Jim Hall. It isn't about al the notes you put in, but the space you leave around the ones you play. Could I enjoy a better system? Sure I could! On the otherhand, I could enjoy the one I have without ever buying anything else. At this point in my life it would be like retiring and still going into debt on a NEW retirement home.

Bruce

• Like 2

• Moderators

Well enough of that audio talk and hand wringing for tonight......the tubes must be warm by now.....and maybe just two fingers of Makers Mark.

Cheers gentlemen!

That's where it all ends, repeat as often as possible. :emotion-29:

• Like 1

More resolving systems render more recordings unlistenable, it is true. So make sure what you wish for.

I always have to have a hobby and have been doing woodwork and home improvement, and really enjoyign motorcycles. There will always be soemthing, but the audio upgrade path is pretty much over for me, at least as far as really expensive gear.

I have old beater La Scalas and K Horns that I will restore someday, just need to finish the house, then the shop, then buy more tools...

I recently fixed my resolving issue Tigger, bought myself a $2K medium resolution rig and to give creedance to Bruces computer toe tapping I find myself enjoying my new little rig just as much as the one that cost 10 times as much! Now how :wacko: is that or even better how :wacko: am I :blush2:

post-16574-0-71420000-1386970035_thumb.j

It will end when I die.

You pretty much nailed it!.......I have been pretty satisfied with the sound of my Khorn Bass BIns and Altec Midrange Horns, but that alone does not satisfy my need to Putz with things. So, I ordered a pair of Oris Horns to be delivered this coming Spring......My last upgrade will be a Boombox in my Coffin.

Oh, you are going to like those Oris horns!

It will end when I die.

Oh, you are going to like those Oris horns!

I have heard the Oris 200 but not the Orphean System. I see you have the 150s......Bert claims the Orphean is his best system to date. I'll get them in the spring when I get back from Florida this winter.

Where are you located?