Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Carl, I trust you are happy the procedure is over. Not my idea of a night out, or day. Good Job!

Thanks.  The procedure is a cake walk.  The prep the night before is a beeaatch.  That stuff is NASTY!!!

I hear you...nasty stuff. Looks innocent enough until you have a swig. :emotion-19::emotion-21: I say good job again.

• Like 3

Got the meds for Jakes joints and stiffness yesterday so he is on day two.

My labs were playing rough last week outside...they like to run and tackle each other...fall and roll.  The 6.5 year old (Marley (BTW, that's him in my avatar, 6 years ago) reminds me of Jerome Bettis...low and wide and tries to make some sharp cuts back and forth.  Anyway, Blaze tackled him and he let out a good yelp last week.  We were concerned...no limping, but didn't want to move and would walk a little, then want to sit down.  Called the vet and he suggested 325 mg SAFTEY COATED aspirin, but only for 3 days.  This would not be something you would want to do for a prolonged period for chronic aches due to old age or arthritis (would cause stomach problems).  It worked magic and he is back to himself.  Going to have to keep them a little more mellow.  Can't afford any serious injuries or surgeries.

Hopefully Jake will take to his new meds well.

How's Baxter?  Like he has been part of the family forever, I imagine?

Edited by tnr
  • Like 5

First cup was really good to the last drop! Now on number three . . .

Finally installed two trapeze hand holds for mom over her bed yesterday. Turned out really good and is already helping her gain a little more independence moving around in and getting in and out of bed.

As I was tweaking the final install yesterday, I had mom lie in the bed so I could adjust he lengths of both ceiling mounted trapeze hand holds for her . . . I was on a ladder leaning over her at an awkward position while she was prone (with her two little toy dachshund/chihuahua mixes) as I was adjusting the length of each of the two trapeze handholds at the eye bolts in the ceiling. The ladder wobbled as I was leaning directly over her . . . I almost fell off the ladder and would have landed on her from 8ft high!

Would have been some kind of headline . . . "Freak (Show) Accident: Large Man Crushes Own Mother to Death (and her two little dogs too) in a Fall from a Trapeze!"

Please pray for my mother . . . I am her temporary full-time caretaker! I just want to get her well enough to return home in a few months . . . before I accidentally become her doom! Ha, ha.

It is an extended family circus!

Edited by Rhetor
  • Like 4

Carl, I trust you are happy the procedure is over. Not my idea of a night out, or day. Good Job!

Thanks. The procedure is a cake walk. The prep the night before is a beeaatch. That stuff is NASTY!!!

Glad it went well and you are back on real food and drink again!

Annoying procedure. I had it done this past summer for the first time. I think the worst part for me was when I was waking up (kind of) in the recovery area, and the doctor came in. Then he shoved about 10 different color pictures in my face of his completed camera work while explaining things in graphic detail about how well it all went . . . that was . . . well creepy, sickening, bizarre, paralyzingly . . . Or just provide your own adjective! Snapped me out of my blissful post-operative state. A very rude awakening and the worst part for me! ;-)

Those pics are not on my iPhone!

Edited by Rhetor
  • Like 4

Got the meds for Jakes joints and stiffness yesterday so he is on day two.

My labs were playing rough last week outside...they like to run and tackle each other...fall and roll.  The 6.5 year old (Marley (BTW, that's him in my avatar, 6 years ago) reminds me of Jerome Bettis...low and wide and tries to make some sharp cuts back and forth.  Anyway, Blaze tackled him and he let out a good yelp last week.  We were concerned...no limping, but didn't want to move and would walk a little, then want to sit down.  Called the vet and he suggested 325 mg SAFTEY COATED aspirin, but only for 3 days.  This would not be something you would want to do for a prolonged period for chronic aches due to old age or arthritis (would cause stomach problems).  It worked magic and he is back to himself.  Going to have to keep them a little more mellow.  Can't afford any serious injuries or surgeries.

Hopefully Jake will take to his new meds well.

How's Baxter?  Like he has been part of the family forever, I imagine?

Baxter couldn't be better. He finally has a home where he can belong and be part of a family. He thinks he's been here forever and so do we. Thanks so much for asking. Baxter sends his Springer best to Marley, Blaze and Jake.

• Like 3

First cup was really good to the last drop! Now on number three . . .

Finally installed two trapeze hand holds for mom over her bed yesterday. Turned out really good and is already helping her gain a little more independence moving around in and getting in and out of bed.

As I was tweaking the final install yesterday, I had mom lie in the bed so I could adjust he lengths of both ceiling mounted trapeze hand holds for her . . . I was on a ladder leaning over her at an awkward position while she was prone (with her two little toy dachshund/chihuahua mixes) as I was adjusting the length of each of the two trapeze handholds at the eye bolts in the ceiling. The ladder wobbled as I was leaning directly over her . . . I almost fell off the ladder and would have landed on her from 8ft high!

Would have been some kind of headline . . . "Freak (Show) Accident: Large Man Crushes Own Mother to Death (and her two little dogs too) in a Fall from a Trapeze!"

Please pray for my mother . . . I am her temporary full-time caretaker! I just want to get her well enough to return home in a few months . . . before I accidentally become her doom! Ha, ha.

It is an extended family circus!

We are not the the only one's on this thread to have taken a primary role in caring for a loved one, mother in my case too. It really is an all important labor of love. You appear to be doing a fine job, barring the precarious situation you found yourself in on the ladder, where you succeeded in not falling(lol). The responsibility can weigh on you. Thinking you have help. A willing person can responsibly do what is required. because of the caring love connection. It was the most important thing I have done so far in my life. Your request is freely granted, and may she and you rely on the strength of your bond to carry on.

Welcome here and please continue to post. There is nothing if not support for each other here.

3 cups...now that is a real coffee drinker, where I come from.  :emotion-44:

Edited by billybob
  • Like 4

Met two friends for breakfast at 7:30.  Cheese grits, country ham, three over medium for me.  The same two friend and five others will be meeting Saturday night for an oyster roast......my first this season.  Bourbon, friends, and oysters seem to go together :)

Coffee done, Jake walked, and nothing on tap except for the 3:30 guitar lesson.

Jake says woof back to Baxter.

Cheers :emotion-44: Gents

• Like 3

I wish I liked coffee. I force fed it to myself for 6 months trying to develop a taste for it. It still just tasted like burnt sticks dissolved in hot water. I like it with lots of milk and sugar and partially frozen, but that's not coffee, that's a coffee flavored milkshake.

• Like 4

Oysters right down my alley...enjoy.

They usually get fatter and juicier going on this time of year.

Pratically was living on them for awhile In Tally. Shuckers

kept me happy. Placed called Barnicle Bill's still there. Their smoke shark and other supplemented my oyster diet. Cannot seem to eat then without beer.

Iced tea will not cut it.

• Like 3

I wish I liked coffee. I force fed it to myself for 6 months trying to develop a taste for it. It still just tasted like burnt sticks dissolved in hot water. I like it with lots of milk and sugar and partially frozen, but that's not coffee, that's a coffee flavored milkshake.

Nothing wrong with iced coffee, or milkshakes. Coffee is coffee is coffee.

• Like 3

Morning Gang

Appears everyone has checked in, all is quite here on the western front. (So Far) :emotion-21:

CECAA850, Good job :emotion-21:

Rhetor, Hang in there, been there, done that, make sure she has a TV with remote.

Tarheel, im NOT worried about, you have the best weather in the country at this time.

Managed to get into bed before midnight, good for a change, phone goes off @1am, FEMA alert telling me im on standby and asking what positions im available to fill,(Pilot, Driver, Logistics), just another day in paradise. 

Think ill make another pot of coffee :emotion-44:

Edited by minermark
  • Like 5

Lotsa ways to get your caffeine jolt these days without coffee. In college (back in the dark ages) I sucked down hundreds of cola drinks. Finally got so sick of it that I developed a "taste" for coffee.  Would be a lot better off if I grabbed a bottle of water every time I think I need a caffeine fix!!

• Like 3

• Moderators

Good luck with your mother, I know what your talking about.  

I watched my mother for her last few years, she only had use of one arm and had lost one leg from diabetes so she had to be helped to be moved anywhere. We promised her she would not go in a home so it was up to me to help with everything except showers, a nurse would come to the house for that. I helped with her going to the bathroom but I didn't with showers. It took a while for both of us to get use to it but turned out to be more of a problem for her which I can understand. It did take a while to convince her she was not a burden, be sure to always be positive and never make it feel like anything is a problem, I say this because when some one is in that predicament it really easy for them to get depressed thinking there a problem to be cared for. Even if it is at times really inconvenient or aggravating never let them see that whatsoever, they are having a tough enough time as you could imagine.  

The last years having her here ended up being good for everyone, she got to see the grandkids everyday and the rest of the family and felt useful.

Good luck   

• Like 7

Good luck with your mother, I know what your talking about.  

I watched my mother for her last few years, she only had use of one arm and had lost one leg from diabetes so she had to be helped to be moved anywhere. We promised her she would not go in a home so it was up to me to help with everything except showers, a nurse would come to the house for that. I helped with her going to the bathroom but I didn't with showers. It took a while for both of us to get use to it but turned out to be more of a problem for her which I can understand. It did take a while to convince her she was not a burden, be sure to always be positive and never make it feel like anything is a problem, I say this because when some one is in that predicament it really easy for them to get depressed thinking there a problem to be cared for. Even if it is at times really inconvenient or aggravating never let them see that whatsoever, they are having a tough enough time as you could imagine.  

The last years having her here ended up being good for everyone, she got to see the grandkids everyday and the rest of the family and felt useful.

Good luck

That is simply great advice. She is one of the world's sweetest ladies. I will print your advice, put in in my desk drawer, and read it from time to time.

Thanks!

• Like 5

Morning Gang

Appears everyone has checked in, all is quite here on the western front. (So Far) :emotion-21:

CECAA850, Good job :emotion-21:

Rhetor, Hang in there, been there, done that, male sure she has a TV with remote.

Tarheel, im NOT worried about, you have the best weather in the country at this time.

Managed to get into bed before midnight, good for a change, phone goes off @1am, FEMA alert telling me im on standby and asking what positions im available to fill,(Pilot, Driver, Logistics), just another day in paradise.

Think ill make another pot of coffee :emotion-44:

Wow! Thank is some rough schedule . . . maybe instead of just a pot, you can put your coffee in an IV bag and make it last all day when you get called!

TV with remote . . . check!

Edited by Rhetor
  • Like 4