Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Yea I got a stupid good deal on an upgraded Havana over on head-fi, I just got plain lucky and happened to check the source for sale adds right after the seller posted it, he replaced the output caps, a few resistors, put in the WE396a tube and included the R Core transformer if I ever wanted to have it replaced

I had got all caught up in getting better resolution files and abilities to play same at the highest rez. What a huge mistake for me I found the sound so flat I could barely listen. I was super depressed and started looking at selling everything, I sold the supposed better dac and next day Havana comes up, and then a bifrost uber I was able to get both for what I sold the Metrum

Now I like Bifrost it is AWESOME especially at under 300,  but I flat out LOVE Havana at any price under 1000

Had some serious sellers remorse after selling my first Havana, I wont have that again...............they can keep 24 / 192, I will take musical and involving

Yeah, higher resolution doesn't mean better recording for sure!  It is hit or miss as it seems they will release ANY quality of recording in high resolution.  That latest Linda Ronstadt compilation was disgusting low quality but, hey, you could get it in high resolution.  If I were you I'd go ahead and convert those 24/192 resolution files down to 24/96 so you can play them on the Havana.  I use dBpoweramp which is really fast.  You might like those better on the Havana... of course you have to get them to a resolution that it will play.  That Havana is a really fun DAC!  

• Like 4

Evening Gang

Taking a break from wearing a headlight and tracking down Ant trails,

had them in check for almost 6Mo, the dam lil critters are coming in from the neighbors on both sides of me.

Amazon has some great bait food for these Ants, between the bait and a little spray i should be able to hold-em at the fence line.

Cold coffee/Duggans is tasting pretty good.

I mix sugar water with boric acid (sold as different brands of "roach powder") and soak it up into cotton balls.  The ants swarm over it and take it home to feed the family.  muhwah ha ha

Keep it away from pets though.  I hear you can use it for bait for termites as well.  I'm thinking you could set some bait traps with wood soaked with boric acid.

So are you trying the cold brew heated up, Mark?  Or are you actually drinking it cold?

• Like 4

Evening Gang

Taking a break from wearing a headlight and tracking down Ant trails,

had them in check for almost 6Mo, the dam lil critters are coming in from the neighbors on both sides of me.

Amazon has some great bait food for these Ants, between the bait and a little spray i should be able to hold-em at the fence line.

Cold coffee/Duggans is tasting pretty good.

I mix sugar water with boric acid (sold as different brands of "roach powder") and soak it up into cotton balls.  The ants swarm over it and take it home to feed the family.  muhwah ha ha

Keep it away from pets though.  I hear you can use it for bait for termites as well.  I'm thinking you could set some bait traps with wood soaked with boric acid.

So are you trying the cold brew heated up, Mark?  Or are you actually drinking it cold?

Naw, cold is good w/Duggans, hell anything is good w/Duggans, well what the hell< Duggans is great on the Rocks.

• Like 4

Name that singer.

11138068_392218847639350_328228518970811

Lynard Skynard,  Ronnie van Zant........................Simple Man..............Funny he was wearing a Neil Young shirt considering there opposing views of the south

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/neil-young-vs-lynyrd-skynyrd-nastiest-rock-feuds/

Edited by joessportster
  • Like 6

Back again guys. Had a great vacation in Taos, NM. Great scenery, mountains, food and even some fellowship along the way. One of the highlights was a 2 mile hike in the mountains with Better Half and Baxter.

Good to be back .... there are so many 'likes' that I'll never catch up and will just take it from this point forward.

Happy Friday everyone. Have a great day and cheers to all.

Chuck

• Like 6

• Moderators
JL Sargent, on 09 Oct 2015 - 04:23 AM, said:

Ants worst natural enemy is the termite. So if you have plenty of ants, you probably don't have termites.

Well that's good to know, I would rather have ants than termite, never thought ants would be good news.  

• Like 4

Good morning all. Two cups this morning. Heard the '08 suv w/86k miles probably needs a new engine yesterday to the tune of $11k... Going to be trolling for second opinions, but all maintainence has been done at the dealer, religious synthetic oil changes and now a peculiar noise and it's dead?! Sigh, we have our health. It could be so much worse but I'm still having two cups today! :-) Cheers!

• Like 5

Name that singer.

11138068_392218847639350_328228518970811

Lynard Skynard,  Ronnie van Zant........................Simple Man..............Funny he was wearing a Neil Young shirt considering there opposing views of the south

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/neil-young-vs-lynyrd-skynyrd-nastiest-rock-feuds/

That was more media hype than anything.....they actually respected each other quite a bit.....it was more of a ribbing than a true feud......I used to talk about it quite a bit with one of my best friends father....a Mr. Billy Powell....good lord than man had some stories

• Like 3

I didn't realize the "feud" was hype, thanks.

At least according to Mr. Powell.....he said Neils song kinda ticked Ronnie off since it kinda categorized all Southern men into a single stereotype.....apparently something that him and Neil had discussed in previous face to face conversations.....so as a "ribbing" back to Neil Young he put that into the song....saying what he had told him in person...supposedly that "If that's how you view all Southerners...than I don't need ya around me."

Now this was taken from Mr. Powell....so who to say how accurate it was some 30 years after the fact.....we all know how fishing stories go... :D  

Edited by JEFKlipsch
  • Like 3

Good morning all. Two cups this morning. Heard the '08 suv w/86k miles probably needs a new engine yesterday to the tune of $11k... Going to be trolling for second opinions, but all maintainence has been done at the dealer, religious synthetic oil changes and now a peculiar noise and it's dead?! Sigh, we have our health. It could be so much worse but I'm still having two cups today! :-) Cheers!

Trade it in towards something else. 11k ? to keep it going with 7 years wear is BS in that country.

Edited by minermark
  • Like 3

Trade it in towards something else. 11k ? to keep it going with 7 years wear is BS in that country.

Here is one Drama senerio iv handled with logic.

Whatever truck/car i buy, slam Michlines on those things fast, zero flat tire calls from the the wife for the last 20 years. 

we are all confronted with things we could have made come out different, through out the road of life, if all it takes is a little money to insure reliabilety, dammint i do it. 

• Like 3

2nd Opinion for sure and a new mechanic as well, I dont know which engine you have  (majority have either 305, 350 or 454) any of those engines can be had with performance upgrades for 5K or less (check jeggs and summit on line)  a crate engine from GM should run about the same

Engine price tells me your dealer / mechanic is gouging the hell outta you for labor,  around me a high price to swap a motor is 2500..................Perhaps they are quoting high in hopes you opt for a new vehicle.............never trust a dealer unless you have a personal relationship of Family

wife took a car for inspection in MD to a friend of mines shop, they told her 3300.00  to get the car through inspection, I took the ca home informed my friend what she was told I spent under 100 in parts (light bulb, brake pads, wiper blades) took the car in myself  and miracle it passed inspection without replacing the steering column and neutral return on the blinker switch 

• Like 3