Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Wife said pay the rest of the bills wile i make muffins/Gravy, so i will do this.

Postpone Movie/Nap, go for the Duggans/Coffee i am.

TotalWine run later today, new Scotch will be on the venue.

And to Ceptor, thanks for the "LIKE" puts me @ 10K.......time for that irish coffee... :emotion-21::emotion-46:

Hey….you deserved it. I feel honored :D

Almost a 2:1 like:post count is impressive.

Beeker and his wife really over did it last year, hell iv not been here two years yet :o

• Like 2

Up from Nap, scotch shopping.

Killing the last of the coffee from this morning.

Internet orders done, i think, BM mix and BBQ sauce from Mo on the way.

Shipping really sucks on some items but it's all about the weight.

Yep we are already pushing 80s here....again for the next week.

Afternoon all.....no effect from the storm here....just busy busy weekend

Friday was Homecoming Game and daughter as (reluctantly) on Homecoming Court....so went to the Parade and Game....we got the much needed divisional win.

Saturday was spent starting to clean out the new digs......man....75 years of collecting stuff.....lots of trips to the dump ahead. took over 1000 pounds of stuff this weekend.

Ever heard the phrase "Don't know sh*t from Shinola".....well apparently Shinola was Shoe Polish......they went out of business in the late 50's.....found like four bottles of the stuff in a kitchen drawer.

Pulling up some of the carpeting....floors are toast...and too many gaps to use as permanent flooring. Dad came by and we assessed the situation. He called his buddy at the sawmill and he told us that he'd cut us a deal since dad uses him so much.....1x6x8 heart pine rough cut for $1/board....well then run those through dad's planer and sander before install.....dad thinks we can do it all in a weekend.

Kitchen cabinets are actually in great shape...just need to be cleaned, sanded and painted....new countertops are needed.....deciding between butcherblock or concrete

Have a buddy going by one day this week to bushhog the field and till my wife up a 20x30 plot for her garden.....she's itching to go ahead and plant mustards, collards, kale and swiss char

Have a few out buildings that need to be torn down and either burned or hauled to dump.

Gonna be a hard few weeks....hope to be in by Thanksgiving......once real demo starts I'll start posting pics of progress.

• Like 8

I had great plans for the bathroom this weekend but, let's see, what went wrong
While splitting time between the bathroom and garage I had a mishap in the bathroom.

Carl, perhaps you should start a "Depends" thread?  It's nothing to be ashamed about probably--happens to a lot of people, it's just part of life. 

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 9

While splitting time between the bathroom and garage I had a mishap in the bathroom.

Carl, perhaps you should start a "Depends" thread?  It's nothing to be ashamed about probably--happens to a lot of people, it's just part of life. 

Steve……that's freakin hilarious!!! You sir….won the internet today….bravo :D

• Like 8

It was a mishap, not a blowout.  No racing stripes were created at THAT particular time.

True story.  I'll never forget another time my brother and I were working on a small bathroom.  We took an early supper and went to a local burger joint for burgers and beer then went back to work in the bathroom.  Our GI tracts must be fairly similar as we began outgassing at the same time a fairly rapid and loud pace.  We laughed so hard we had to stop working a couple times.  Thank god for fart fans.

• Like 8

Afternoon Gang

Up from a restfull Monday.

Purchased Scotch online from Lagavulin, the wife had a request for her own, and i figured since she is buyin, i better get her what she wants.

Guinness Blonde & French Butter Cookies is a pretty good lunch.

These interesting snacks will be my undoing :P

post-57941-0-77020000-1444081692_thumb.j

• Like 5

Hello there Todd!   If you want to see things spin up, just push the RIGHT tension lever UPWARD, you will here the cooling / drive motor spin up, then your play and fast forward should work.

Don't be alarmed while in play mode that the TAKEUP motor will spin in the OPOSITE direction!  These are 'eddy current' rewind/forward motors that keep even tension on the tape (in either direction) while in PLAY....

Have fun my friend ^_^

Mark, I surely will keep everyone abreast of the Dynaco situation...  Clearly, the problem is with what is DRIVING the right hand '88...  Red plating follows the single SOCKET, not the tubes....  Any '88 I have swapped out will red plate in that socket only..

As soon as I finish my testing tomorrow evening, I will post and hopefully have a solution... :unsure:

.....Gary

I hope the hell it is not the input transformer, way back when i had a tube go bad (Short) it then shorted the transformer that then went high voltage, determind this by checking the output voltage from the other channel with leads disconnected.

• Like 3

Tuesday brings me to my LEAST fav dude on this planet, Dentist, and i hear tell he's wanting to keep"One" of old my faithfull lower teeth and i'll be minus this for at least 6mo then implant time, oh joy.

Iv reserved a bar stool for mid morning after :emotion-21: 

Meanwile the wife is making me my last meal, Bison Meatloaf.

Think i'll have another Blonde.....Guinness that is.

• Like 7

Good evening friends........... :)   Read through a couple days postings to catch up on the latest weather, storms, naps and adult beverages :D ...

Anyway, I wanted to report my findings with the Dynaco amp.   First off, took all tubes out, checked voltages at the sockets, everything checked out FINE!  Brought home my solder station, re-soldered all points on the pre-stage PC board and all points concerning the upgraded bias circuits/components...  Turned that amp on, still have one tube red plating !   Started swapping out KT-88s ...  It was getting pretty confusing.  Swapping out tubes and finding TWO OEM Gold Lion originals (1965) were red plating when paired together!! 

I took the two Russian Gold Lions (matched quad for the Mark III rebuilding back in 2009) from the left channel amp, plugged into the troublesome right amp and they performed perfectly, the bias voltage was stable etc.   This told me that I SURELY had a bad tube NOT amp...  

Here is where it got strange.  After much swapping and trying to keep track why only certain combinations would cause one tube to red plate, then swap out it's neighbor ONLY, and it would NOT red plate!   Turns out, the tube that was NOT red plating was BAD and was causing any other tube to red plate when paired with it!  This tube also DID NOT have the blue 'glow' on the glass bottle as the others did which seemed to point out more problems with it.

SO, I found two OEM original to the amp that worked well together and set the bias and all held nicely.   Put in a recording for testing and it all sounded wonderful ^_^  So, I will run them for now and order up a matched PAIR of new Gold Lions again... :rolleyes:

Well, that is the update so far, but it is good to have stereo once again...

OH, and I ordered room acoustic treatments which I hope will arrive this weekend, should really warm up the sound and hopefully take back some of standing waves in the room so the bass will be more even...

Good night my friends......  -_-

Edited by Tigerman
  • Like 6

Mark retirement is affecting your Memory

It's Taco Tuesday  :D 

Good DRY Tuesday morning folks, boys in schoo, breakfast down and Hot Chai tea sipping has begun

Chuck time to clean up after all the rain,  Get Busy

JefKlipsch, Pace yourself, dont wanna burn out on the new diggs.......................

Carl fart fans are a godsend depending on the type, exhaust  :emotion-21: , Some guy standing wafting his hands towards his face and grading each on merit not so much

post-14548-0-73500000-1444138342_thumb.j

• Like 6

Morning Gang

Taco tuesday, trash day, Dentist day.

Well i'll do two outta three, no taco's today, Dentist wants to keep a piece of me.

Dickinsons Fresh Cracked Beans are-a-Perkin, Duggans waiting.

Will take the wife to the PiedPiper Bar after, a lil drinkin, a lil gamblin (StateLottlo).

Tiger, glad it was ONLY a tube or two.

Coffee time, i see the wife has beat me to it. (CCTV on the patio).

• Like 4

• Moderators

Steve……that's freakin hilarious!!! You sir….won the internet today….bravo :D

:D Steve that is funny :P but a little scary, the thought of a mostly del taco and ketchup diet could have unbelievable results :o  :unsure:  :P    

• Like 5

Morning Gang

Taco tuesday, trash day, Dentist day.

Well i'll do two outta three, no taco's today, Dentist wants to keep a piece of me.

Dickinsons Fresh Cracked Beans are-a-Perkin, Duggans waiting.

Will take the wife to the PiedPiper Bar after, a lil drinkin, a lil gamblin (StateLottlo).

Tiger, glad it was ONLY a tube or two.

Coffee time, i see the wife has beat me to it. (CCTV on the patio).

Mission completed............Awaiting breakfast :emotion-46: :emotion-46: :emotion-46: :emotion-46: :emotion-46::emotion-21:

• Like 6