Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Morning yet again gang

Welp three cups down and the wife preparing to go, so i better get my azz in gear.

Cannot even think of one dam thing i need from this swapmeet, so im going to stop by the ATM and get Max cash because that is how my "Luck of the find" goes.

Sure as hell i start walking around and see something, cash talks.      Dam CornDog(s)

• Like 7

Mornin' everybody. All this car talk is a message to me from the Auto Gods to get my ancient Pathfinder in for oil and a good going over before long. Winter can come early here. What's really unreliable are the weather forecasts!

Best part of today will be our granddaughter's 2d birthday ... will have a nice family party at the park. Temps are warm and the sun is shining.

Enjoy your weekend. Cheers.

• Like 8

Whoa, I've just been reading about a semi common issue with that motor.  I don't know if this is your issue or not.  I've never seen a motor set up like this.  Many motors have counter balance shafts that rotate opposite the crankshaft to cancel vibrations.  This motor has one as well BUT it's not inside the motor or lubricated with engine oil like all that I've ever seen.  It sits in the V of the motor and is driven by a chain.  The bearing is sealed and non serviceable.  In order to replace it the motor must be pulled.  If it fails, the engine jumps time and you put valves through the pistons.  What a design fubar.

Bingo. It's called a "read drive unit" which is married to the motor and it's unique to them. It's our noise maker. They can pull it out and if no gear teeth are damage, etc they could reseal it and we could be good to go. (That's a $2,600 exploration). If there were damage to any of the gearing, the whole thing (engine and all) has to go back to Volvo. Our particular year, our particular model (they quit using these specific v6 engines go figure) is cost $9,500 (because it's a package deal) and $1,800 for 20 hrs labor to pull/reinstall. The tech at Volvo sounded pretty squared away. He said he and the other guy who's been around the longest said their gut says it sounds noisy enough that they're pessismistic that they would be able to repair it. (Our personal mechanic echoed concern with that option). So we believe we are car shopping. Deep breath. Lesson learned. We certainly weren't expecting this. I'd deal with 1000 of these vs one doc visit saying s family member is sick.

• Like 9

Good morning / afternoon everyone....

We are here in Rhode Island at Pezz' home and about to sit down and do some serious listening to some music I brought.. The SPL meter will be setup on its tripod and we will be ready to go... However, some really great nosh was setup for us and a great wine too....

Stand by for photos (0:

.....Chuck, sorry about no gloves, however, I am a bit of a sticker with hand washing, trust me, no grease from the fingers was added ;0)

.....Gary

• Like 8

Okies...On Topic. 

Whilst researching coffee grinders I keep seeing references that the type really didn't matter with Aeropress.  It was said that the inconsistencies were irrelevant with the fine stainless steel filter or paper.  Given it's only 35.00 with a stainless steel filter, decided to give it a try as the reviews seem to be pretty much 5 star and many, many hundreds. 

So, it arrived Thursday but I waited until this AM to have the time to really study the situation.  Decided to try the "inverted' brew method as it seemed to have a number of adherents.  So, here's the story:

post-7390-0-39660000-1444494448_thumb.jp

Found some green Papua New Guinea I had in the freezer and, per usual, smoked the PAW all the way to the patio making a just less than French roast.  Here they are on the driveway where I blew out the chaff with canned air.  If you've never done this, there is a side benefit of putting the very finest seasoning on cast iron of any method.  Note how shiny it is.  I tried air roasting back in the 90s and found it roasted fine, but also stripped the oils. 

post-7390-0-38260000-1444494642_thumb.jp

Ready to go.  Printed the instructions.  Just wanted to make sure I didn't really goof up as it was my first time.  The PAWs boiler, perfect for the job. 

post-7390-0-70700000-1444494761_thumb.jp

Used the "temporary" spice grinder to grind to powder.  I just keep it running until I heard no impacts. 

post-7390-0-77420000-1444494914_thumb.jp

Poured in the water, gave it 90 seconds, and a 20 second press. 

Cleanup was as easy as advertised.  Pop the used grinds into the sink, quick rinse of the unit and filter and your done. 

Now, you have extract.  Tasted and found it delicious.  Good to go if it's expresso you're after but I wanted an after breakfast (steel cut oats, mass of butter in there with half and half to cool, buttered toast and orange juice) palette cleanser so I filled it with water.  Too weak!  Repeated the process and dumped the fresh into the old, quick reheat in the microwave and...YUM! 

It's a keeper.  I understand you can just make a few batches of extract as with cold water extraction, then keep in the fridge to add to hot water.  It's said that its much more hot brewed like than cold water extract.  Makes sense and will try it.

Dave

Dave

• Like 7

Wow Dave, that is an excellent presentation! Very interesting how that was done and with successful results, congrats ;0)

Meanwhile, we are enjoying this bit of nosh as mentioned, Pandora on the system for back grains listening....image_42.jpeg

• Like 8

Hey there Steve, good to see you.... A nice sunny fall day here in RI .... We are listening to one of my newest purchases 'The Three Fates' with symphony orchestra..... Nice listening level, peaks to 86 DB A weighted..... Tarkus is playing now...image_44.jpeg

• Like 5

Mark be sure and inform the government officials to announce them selves dont want a WACO in NC...............otherwise bring it on, they can not get bllod from a stone  :D

Chuck Happy B-day to the little one

Listening to the Sennheiser HD800's as I type, sound good but frankly having trouble seeing / hearing all the hype I have read..........Patience GrassHopper

Nice pics as always Gary

Edited by joessportster
  • Like 6

Dave check out youtube for some recipes on the aeropress, I use the inverted brew method as well with mine 18ish grams of medium gring decaf french roast, 250 grams of water at 190ish degrees (add a few ounces to wet the grounds and stir, then add remaining water) allow to set 2 minutes Ish then 20 second press (I use the paper filters as there were some complaints about the stainless disc either clogging or allowing grounds past

Makes for a really good strong cup o joe  B)

• Like 4

Damn sure does, Joe.  My concern with the paper filters is their trapping oil.  The stainless I have did fine...there was just a bit of VERY fine sludge in the bottom, but remember I used a blade grinder to pulverize the coffee so that is neither surprising nor was it a problem. 

As I used a tea boiler, I brought it to a boil and let it sit for a minute or so.  Didn't check the water temp but suspect it was about where you suggest.  I'll be experimenting.  Have you made concentrate?  I want to try it.  I made cold water for a while and it's long keeping qualities and convenience were great...but the taste just wasn't the same as hot brewing.  This sounds like a good compromise.

Dave

• Like 3

The women that run the place around her have all departed to do whatever the Heck it is they do when I'm not around. Shopping for more shoes or something like that.

The bar is open and the joint is rock'n at max volume to two full watts of 45 SET goodness! :emotion-22:  :emotion-22:  :emotion-22:  :emotion-22:  :emotion-46:  :emotion-22:  :emotion-46:  :emotion-22:  :emotion-46:  :emotion-22:

• Like 8

Damn sure does, Joe.  My concern with the paper filters is their trapping oil.  The stainless I have did fine...there was just a bit of VERY fine sludge in the bottom, but remember I used a blade grinder to pulverize the coffee so that is neither surprising nor was it a problem. 

As I used a tea boiler, I brought it to a boil and let it sit for a minute or so.  Didn't check the water temp but suspect it was about where you suggest.  I'll be experimenting.  Have you made concentrate?  I want to try it.  I made cold water for a while and it's long keeping qualities and convenience were great...but the taste just wasn't the same as hot brewing.  This sounds like a good compromise.

Dave

No cold brewing here, and no concentrate either,  I look at it like this, I bought aero press so I could brew 1 hot FRESH cup of fresh grounds at a time and so far that is how I have used the press

as far as the paper goes I use hot water to wet it down before putting it on the press........................1 of the best features of the press is the ability to experiment and tailor the brew to your personal tastes

Plus it forces me to get up off my lazy AZZ  :D  (the wife wont use it :( )

• Like 5