Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

7 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

You're in Wilmington?

Yep...450 feet off a tidal creek that empties into the ICWW.  Plans are changing for lots of folks who were headed to Charlotte and Raleigh as the storm is looking like it will cover most of the state.  Nowhere to run.........

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Yep...450 feet off a tidal creek that empties into the ICWW.  Plans are changing for lots of folks who were headed to Charlotte and Raleigh as the storm is looking like it will cover most of the state.  Nowhere to run.........

Hopefully it'll veer north of you and you'll be on the "clean" side of the storm.  It makes a huge difference.

• Like 3

• Moderators

There are other places besides NC, West almost anywhere, take a ride, it's not like if you stay you would save either house. You may also save a car like that.

At least you don't have any big trees in your yard that could fall on the house or any waterways that could help the storm surge fill the neighbor.  Oh nevermind :unsure2: :sad::blink2::blush:

11 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Nowhere to run.........

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Hopefully it'll veer north of you and you'll be on the "clean" side of the storm.  It makes a huge difference.

That's true it makes a huge difference in intensity, it also determines which direction the trees fall. 

But really the day after katrina while driving back from N Louisiana we could tell where were compared to where the worst winds were by what direction the trees were leaning or fallen. 

• Like 2

I have a friend down the street that comes down for cocktails now and then, 82 retired CIA, went down to pick up a house key and his guns as he doesn't want to leave them in the house.  Thought about a side hustle to offer the neighbors "heavily armed ex parole officer will watch your property for $100/day".

He and his wife are headed for Apex, NC......also in the storm zone.

Big, tall Pines on all sides of my and LF's houses.  Bubbles will be in her garage and hopefully not under a tidal surge.  Trish and Jake will be okay where they are going.

• Like 3

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Those beach houses can be lifted off their foundations and floated until they bash into other people's homes, etc.  Cars and boats, too.  I'd stay clear of the beach areas.  Drowning is a real risk.

Uh yes, it looked like this for more than a 1/2 mile from the beach, only cement slabs left.

I-LongBeach-Neighborhood2.2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tarheel said:

Thanks Mike.....good on TP and my arsenal should discourage any looting.  My Jack Daniels small batch is iffy and may have to be replenished.  My neighbor down the road on the water is sticking it out and they are even older than me😉   A little concerned about that decision.  When it gets too bad....it's too late to leave.

Ridden them all out since 49' but this one has me worried.......

Best of luck man. I was about a mile away from the South shore on Oahu when Lane put us into its cross-hairs as a Cat 5. We were visiting my Brother and Sister in law, they have a 21 month old boy and we have a 19 month old girl. The Navy pulled out all the ships from Pearl Harbor and the ports closed so we just prepared and waited with no evacuation plans possible.  I still dont know how we dodged that bullet but I have a greater appreciation for the guys that live down south and that foreboding feeling you get as you look up the updated spaghetti models every 4 hours and run through all the different scenarios.

Im a Bulleit Bourbon fan myself, Knob Creek is good as well but it can be a little hot until you settle in with it. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dirtmudd said:

McMaster has all roads out opened up..

Tomorrow @ noon..

That's SC, and it's great of him to do that!

All those houses put up on the Outer Banks.......

Might end up looking just like the last time I went camping there in 1978.

• Like 2

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

ow!  Yeah, a picture tells a thousand words! 

My mother's house in 06, no storm surge pushing water,   just 10' of slowly moving water. This was before the mold took over, just a empty lot now.

colter_06-59.JPG

• Sad 4

=== in no way do I diminish what’s heading your way but at least with a hurricane there are several days for preparation/evacuation etc.

Where we live in tornado alley the luxury of preparation doesn’t exist. Watch radar, TV and of course stand outside in the driveway “watching” for the funnel. Hit the basement when the sirens blare.

Hoping you the Best, ‘Heel — 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, richieb said:

Where we live in tornado alley

I  wouldn't live there, for the reason you said, 0 warning.

You could go from no rain just clouds, to 200 mph winds in seconds, I'm good no thanks.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dtel said:

I  wouldn't live there, for the reason you said, 0 warning.

You could go from no rain just clouds, to 200 mph winds in seconds, I'm good no thanks.

=== ok, don’t reside, just visit. You can join us crazies standing outside, deciphering the clouds for funnels, wall clouds etc. “Generally” there’s plenty of time to hit the basement. So long we don’t loose power you will have a good ol’ time - Jubes, LS, along with several others, good amplification etc. Enough volume to drown out the train passing overhead — 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

It's cat 4 now and building.  I fully expect a bad ending.....just how bad is the question.  Thanks for the well wishes!

I hope you are fine and have only minor problems, were not trying to scare you just worried about you. It's scary enough on its own, you have a football helmet ? :lol:

I'm laughing because our neighbor stayed home in his log cabin. When we got home the day after the storm we went to check on him, he was sitting in his front door with a football helmet on. :ohmy: We asked him if he was ok and he said no, physically he was fine but that was about it he was quite freaked out. He said he seen his large barn disappear along with another neighbors barn, and his house was shaking losing some of the roof.  He said he seen large trees from the yard uproot spin around in the air the fly off. He has never been the same since,  he was an engineer for Stennis Space center.

We had 140 mph winds here for that storm, Florence is at 140 mph sustained winds right now and it has a long way to go to get to land and will probably be stronger. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

It's cat 4 now and building.  I fully expect a bad ending.....just how bad is the question.  Thanks for the well wishes!

looking at a dictionary = bad is an adjective, "bad weather" not such as to be hoped for or desired; unpleasant or unwelcome.

other things, like on Thursday, trying to make coffee, and the power goes out, that's bad, or it's high tide, raining, wind blowing like a bad mf

or bad is like getting a root canal, without a cocktail, and that last's for about an hour of drilling on your teeth, or bad is like a ahhh ahhhh, waiting to leave and then getting a flat, but a cat 4 is a heavy duty low barometer reading, pretty bad deal. get one of those modern laptop things with a battery, head west, and stay in touch 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1