Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Strange days! Indeed. If that graphical thing is for today? We had purple in Charlotte yesterday. Not joking, clear skies today but yesterday it was smokey and hazy all day long. What the heck's up with that?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Strange days! Indeed. If that graphical thing is for today? We had purple in Charlotte yesterday. Not joking, clear skies today but yesterday it was smokey and hazy all day long. What the heck's up with that?

Things are a little better today then they were yesterday up here.

• Like 3

• Moderators
5 hours ago, grasshopper said:

I was beginning to wonder if I was needing to use alternate methods to make coffee this AM.

We had a bit of a storm yesterday afternoon. The electricity went down.

A solar stove should work great where you are at. BUT if you get up in the AM before sunrise nevermind. But why get up that early anyway? (just me)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, dtel said:

A solar stove should work great where you are at. BUT if you get up in the AM before sunrise nevermind. But why get up that early anyway? (just me)

...if you want/need to be outdoors. That is the only time of day that it's cool and light.

I had a friend that made/dried jerky on the clothesline. Serious

now, if you are in Phoenix, time of day doesn't matter. It cools down to 90`

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dtel said:

But why get up that early anyway? (just me)

Ha! With me it just happens sometimes. I've gotten up at 4:00 a.m. thrice this week . Just to go lay back down or stay up anyway and dismiss the 6:00 a.m. alarm.

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 hours ago, grasshopper said:

I had a friend that made/dried jerky on the clothesline. Serious

I was wondering if that could be done, between the really low humidity and heat, just watch out for critters.

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

Ha! With me it just happens sometimes. I've gotten up at 4:00 a.m. thrice this week . Just to go lay back down or stay up anyway and dismiss the 6:00 a.m. alarm.

I get up sometimes like that, but after reliving some pressure I go back to bed. The good thing is I go to sleep in less than a minute and tend to sleep about 8 hours automatically.  

• Like 3

My wife spent 6 mo in Malaysia Whenever I mention going to HI, she says NO... because that is what she knows as tropical

that weather sounds miserably warm and wet

sleep... no... I nap

was looking at the lawn.

I decided it wasn't weedy. They are companion plants for the grass.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Had a friend who was from the Miami area, and had a lawn care business. When he told friends he was making a trip to the Philippines, they told him it was really hot. He kinda wen Pffft, I'll be fine, I worked in Miami. He said when he stepped off the plane, the heat just slammed him. Had never felt anything like it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

No central air in this place but I think every other house here in the hood has it.  Wound up buying a window unit for the bedroom last year.  I fire that up if it gets too hot to sleep.  Lately at nite it's been driving me nuts.  Thing just wasn't running much after the initial cool down.  Starting and running 30 seconds then quitting.  10 minutes later same thing.  Tonite I went up nosin and somehow it was set on the Economy setting.  Test run tonite so might be in bed til noon tomorrow.  Fat people sweat a lot!  A/C makes ya soft!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

It'll spoil ya for sure then ya get the electric bill.  Have a floor fan in here running on the hot days.  Wasn't putting out much air last year to took it apart and cleaned the back cage.  Never saw so much tumbleweed in one place in my life.  Works fine now.  lol.   I'm out.  Gettin weak.  lol  Ni ni!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We looked at this area in the Phil's a few years ago and kinda fell in love with it. It has a geothermal power generation plant that provides power to a fairly large area. Power customer here get a 50% bill reduction. The town area is a couple hundred meters above sea level so no great typhoon worries.

We also may never retire there... you know how hat stuff goes.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valencia,_Negros_Oriental

The advantage, if you like it, is after acquiring housing, is you can pretty easily live on 15-20k a year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Dave1291 said:

It'll spoil ya for sure then ya get the electric bill.  Have a floor fan in here running on the hot days.  Wasn't putting out much air last year to took it apart and cleaned the back cage.  Never saw so much tumbleweed in one place in my life.  Works fine now.  lol.   I'm out.  Gettin weak.  lol  Ni ni!  

I clean and lube mine [almost] every year. It's amazing how much difference clean blades make ... not to mention all of the stuff on the "grill"

• Like 2

6 hours ago, grasshopper said:

that weather sounds miserably warm and wet

That's probably why the malls are so full, all day, every day. Hard to get a seat in the food court and it goes on for about 150 yards. Not to mention all the other Restos in the place.

20230719_150951~2.jpg

• Like 4

AQI is back down in the 60’s this morning.

not ideal but better than the past few days.

I picked up some lamb yesterday from a friend of mine who runs a meat processing business with his dad.

Actually, an entire sheep’s worth of meat so that’s what we will be eating on for a while.

I can already tell the cuts are better and way cheaper than anything like it from the grocery store.

Last night I made some lamb ragù with a couple pounds of the ground meat.

IMG_1005.thumb.jpeg.4bb4e8c23242eaa4d1cff34d1ed3c55f.jpeg

IMG_1010.thumb.jpeg.22a3363e60d6ed7aa05dac7d1d2b6d8c.jpeg

• Like 5