Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Good MID afternoon everyone....     My day turned into a vacation day quickly, as me and co-worker headed out of town to a church to tune a pipe organ per usual this past few months (wrapping up the tuning marathon this week!)..   Only to find the organist opening the door for us crying her eyes out !!  (we have NEVER seen this before).   She was going on and on about being SO embarrassed because the furnace broke down and the church was only 42 degrees  inside !!!:o

The trick is that the heat must be on in the church to the same temp as it is used for a Sunday mass or service since the organ is VERY temp sensitive and we can only tune when those requirements are met, it is just part of the business..   Anyway, a quick call to the office, rescheduled for tomorrow (should they get the heat going) and drove back to the shop.

I spent a little time at my bench repairing a Weller solder station (magnetic switch assy.) and the CEO said to take the rest of the day off as vaca since I have a week left.  (we don't roll over vaca time!)  

Stopped at HD and picked up a new Delta 4 hole stainless kitchen faucet (Foundations series) and then my annual stop to the kitchen store for some exotic olive oils and a kitchen gadget or two...   :)   

Sorry to go on, but I am home, late lunch and went through all the posts here since my last.^_^

Chuck, I am doing better, voice still not back to normal and throat still a tad sore but improving, and I hope you are feeling better also!   Sounds like you had a nice drive in the S2k, we are in total winter mode here, iron horse sleeps for the season now, winter snow tools all back in service once again.  :rolleyes:

Congrats on taking those speakers from your neighbor, yet another speaker made in my own state :emotion-21:, and part of the 'East Coast' sound movement.....

Oh, on the car tape players...   MANY people do not realize that the 4 track was the predecessor of  the  8 track!   And when the 4 track format concluded on the market, it continued in the broadcast industry.   I was going to broadcast school in 1973, all the commercials AND radio station jingles were on 4 track 'carts' as they called them..  (Gates playback  machines)

MPK,  man, you must love listen at  the high DB-A levels! :D  You would never be able to push the KHorns with those kind of watts.  The amp that runs out of power for the MRS. would be PLENTY ear splitting on my pair..   I can't get anywhere near the rated power level of my Dynaco MK III's   Tried to push it once with an orchestral recording which I may have mentioned here before...   Even with the size of Music Hall,  and sitting 17' back, 108 DB-A  was breath takingly LOUD !  (and SO damn clean and about 20 seconds of that was all me and Pezz could stand) and still not approaching the 60w per ch. the amps can deliver..   If you have a DB meter, you should take some measurements, it would be interesting to see how much sound pressure you normally enjoy.;)

Ok, enough writing...    Enjoy your day, I will check back later...

..............g 

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, Tigerman said:

Oh, Miner Mark, beware the Magnapan..........they will snap, arc and burn down if you want to get some good level out of them!   Many have had the experience (including myself) with those....

Yeah i liked his SS mono block 400Wpc amps he had at the time, that was 20+ years ago, he fried the amps, so after hearing that i wanted nothing to do with those speakers.

Not the first freebies iv turned down, im sure not the last.

• Like 8

• Moderators
4 hours ago, minermark said:

It's a Grizz, picked it up w/tooling couple months back.

Have the 8" x 75" joiner for a few years now, it's the only Grizzly I have but it seems to be well built and works great.

• Like 4

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Tarheel said:

My neighbor, a Gent in his early 80s, called with some free speakers if I wanted them.  I don't have room for them but to help him out I picked them up in the Volvo wagon. 

Know anyone who needs some sound, any of the old dudes you have breakfast with ? You could be santa this year.  

• Like 6

Evening gents. I saw my truck temp show a -4 this morning, fortunately there was no wind.

It looks like we will have a brown Christmas:mellow: Rain and 45

Nice score on those speakers Chuck, they look nice, I'll bet they're heavy.

My finger is finally feeling better. I installed a TV wall mount yesterday, I probably over did it, but I just can't sit still. It's different when you're living in a remodeling zone (my own house) I see all the projects I could be working on. Today, I managed to install the overhead track system for a 5' wide sliding barn door for a closet. I don't think I can assemble the door yet. 

Gary, can a huge temp change in a church like that permanently damage the pipe organ system? I really like those old pipe organs.

• Like 6

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, mungkiman said:

Nice jointer. When I hear "joiner," I think of biscuits...

Thanks I love when tools do a good job at what they are supposed to do. I have the one for biscuits also but haven't used it in a while, I wish they made one with bigger and thicker biscuits than they do to use with bigger things. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, dtel said:

Thanks I love when tools do a good job at what they are supposed to do. I have the one for biscuits also but haven't used it in a while, I wish they made one with bigger and thicker biscuits than they do to use with bigger things. 

Check out the Festool Domino.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Evening gents. I saw my truck temp show a -4 this morning, fortunately there was no wind.

It looks like we will have a brown Christmas:mellow: Rain and 45

Nice score on those speakers Chuck, they look nice, I'll bet they're heavy.

My finger is finally feeling better. I installed a TV wall mount yesterday, I probably over did it, but I just can't sit still. It's different when you're living in a remodeling zone (my own house) I see all the projects I could be working on. Today, I managed to install the overhead track system for a 5' wide sliding barn door for a closet. I don't think I can assemble the door yet. 

Gary, can a huge temp change in a church like that permanently damage the pipe organ system? I really like those old pipe organs.

Great the finger is doing well.

Remodel is fun, not so much when you have time to stare at it, you keep thinking of more things to do eh?

Been there done that.

If you still have a system available to crank up, try one of my Fav's https://youtu.be/46SWrxVgElo

My neighbors know when they hear this, Mark is just getting started.

I find Mid volume brings these McMs and notes on the Organ to life.

• Like 7

Evening gang

36 and DAM sure feels like it.

NO fireplace use in Calif, you will be Fined/charged to use it.

You must prove you use it for primary heating, and of course that involves a state inspection.

We have a great HVAC unit thank god.

Another neighbors outside pipes blew last night.

Mine are wrapped and i keep just a little water running through the night.

Coffee, Haagen Daz, Nap........:emotion-44::emotion-21:

• Like 7

Morning all,

Didn't really have chance to check-in yesterday....

20 hours ago, minermark said:

A Grand was well worth it.

Yes it was Mark... nice score :emotion-21::emotion-21:

Chuck, those speakers look cool... they do have that 70's look lol lol... 

1 hour ago, Tarheel said:

and when I think of biscuits I think sausage gravy and biscuits:P

Yea me too......

18 hours ago, Tigerman said:

MPK,  man, you must love listen at  the high DB-A levels! :D 

LOL LOL Yea Gary I like to feel the music... when I had the two Carver guys over this summer. The one guy had a db app on his phone, when we had the JBL's playing we were hitting 95db's..... we were about 18/20 ft from the speakers. It was crazy loud and they had so much more in them.... the chest thump is nuts... I could have pushed them more but sometimes it's just too much even for me:o.... All joking aside I do like loud music but it's got to sound good... and I don't sit in front of my system all the time frying my ears... Sometimes there just a few tracks you gotta pump out ;)

When I meet up with the Carver guys down in DC this past weekend, my bud Randy was there. He was the guy that had the db meter at my house. He was talking to some of the other Carver guys about my JBL set-up... He was telling them it was like someone just hitting ya in your chest from the bass lol lol.

OK gang gotta roll...

Not a whole lot going on today... might try to work on my little sub woofer project..

MKP :-)

• Like 8

We got a new TV for the shop a few weeks ago. It's been sitting in the box until this morning. The BOSS asked me to set it up for her. 

So we took it out of the box and this is what we got:(......and The BOSS was just saying on the drive in that she didn't want to deal with any problems today.....She was on the phone most of yesterday dealing with :pwk_bs:......

MKP :-)

IMG_20161220_113036.jpg

• Like 4

13 hours ago, dtel said:

Glad to hear that, you got lucky, probably don't seem like it but it could have been much worse. 

Thanks. My finger has made a nice improvement in the last couple days. My whole hand was gray, now the color's coming back. And it doesn't constantly hurt. 

I probably used it too much initially. Last week I made a comment about how little pain there was. Well the next day we got 4' of snow. I have a new truck and a new snowplow, with a few clients to work for, so I had to plow their drives. I didn't plan on all the snow shovel work though. 3 hours of that was enough for me.

• Like 5