Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Yes Rich, the stripes on the 69 were on the hood............the 68 had no such option...  These were HUGE and were above and below the '442' numbers on the fenders.   They were chrome and black filled, short and  W I D E....  Yours had the taller designed numbers with the raised centers...   There is a BIG controversy over the 'super stock' wheels....  I see it again and again when I go to car shows...  Hard to find the correct 442 wheels on the correct year!   

When I bought mine, the gas crises was in full swing.  Was laughed at for buying such a beast, one guy even called me out at a gas station !!   I told him this....   "Right now, you think gas guzzler, but this little era of 10 years which the supercars were made will be a distant memory, and someday, they will be worthy of restoration and holding on to!"   I still got laughed at, no one would listen, you could not even find a magazine on them, the muscle car was DEAD!   Plenty of magazines on building race cars etc. but that was about it.

I remember how Pontiac moved there GTO to the 'Nova' platform.........also the many moves that Mopar made with the Road Runner !  They were all trying to relive the look of the super car, but that was all it was..........Smoggy, weak BIG V8's with no power, crappy mileage, and 'looks' packages were all that remained...

Those that lived through it, remember well...  

I was happy to have been able to drive a 1967 442.......   it was only 3 years old :o, needless to say nearly new....   (A fellow my mom was dating at the time bought it new, let me take it for a drive now and then..........that is what got me hooked on the Oldsmobile performance cars....  Then, I went to work for an Olds dealer and that helped too :)   The story went on and on.....

• Like 2

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, richieb said:

45 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

You guys had me at 442:D

I had a 69 442 in high school, it was a 4 speed. It had a small block 400. I ran the crapola out of that car. Would love to get another one.

You know 'Cept you need to attend at Hope sometime soon. A 442, RC51 - like brothers from another mother --?

Kevin Harmon here on the forum has a 442, all his videos on youtube are under Harmon442, including the pilgrimages.

His 442

• Like 2

Thanks Elden, I will take a look!

Mark, you know what is VERY important about that under hood photo that most would NEVER realize ???  

That METAL air cleaner label WITH chrome center clamp !!!!!!!!!!!   You hardly ever see that, most have the paper 'foil' retro made label that sticks on and many DO NOT have that center clamp, just the chrome wing nut.  

Though my car is long gone, I managed to KEEP both of those items!

(I went with the foil label because you could NOT get the metalized label ANYWHERE new....  GM was out of them at that point when I was buying all the factory made parts and doodads...)

I was going to put them up on eBay at some point..    Nice photo, it reminds me so much of mine that the photo scared me, as I thought I was looking at my old car !!!  :o

• Like 2

Oh, thats right Mark, the 'little' Road Runner..............however, my buddy had the 1973 (was in the Satellite body that year)...he had the 400............I had a new 1974 Cutlass S with the 350 - quadrajet and duals (remember, those were discrete duals in those days, NO cats yet)  Both cars ran about the same performance on the street....  ;)

I rather liked the Road Runner when they moved it into the 'Fury' body....  Had a nice graphic on the trunk lid...   I remember well when it was brand new that year and thought it was a cool look considering those 'wanabe' performance years....

• Like 2

Ok, I just went and dug this out of the garage....   These are the real deal and the very parts that came off mine, they are indeed 50 year old items now...   The metal label is in very rough shape.  

Back in the day, mechanics did not care what they did to these, they just tossed them around when they serviced the air cleaner, this was no acception to the way this one was treated...  I could not install this on my restored air cleaner housing, which is why I still have it in storage here....IMG_6635.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, richieb said:

You know 'Cept you need to attend at Hope sometime soon. A 442, RC51 - like brothers from another mother --?

I know, the last two years I planned to be there, payed the fee, bought the shirts, then work got in the way and couldn't make it. I was bummed to miss the 70th.

Lately I've had this urge to acquire some Jubs:D

5 hours ago, dtel said:

Kevin Harmon here on the forum has a 442, all his videos on youtube are under Harmon442, including the pilgrimages.

His 442

Awesome video, that's my car! It was the same color but had a black vinyl top. I didn't know a lot about the car, I was 16, but I knew it was fast. My older brothers were Olds guys, they both had a couple 66 and 67 models. I'm sure theirs were faster, because they always modified their cars, but I liked the looks of the late 60s Cutlass better.

Another older brother shook up the family when he dropped a 427 into a 1969 Nova, it was much faster than the Olsmobiles. He invested all the money a working 19 year could come up with into that car. He still has the quarter mile time slip from a drag strip in Cincy...he ran a 12.09. I do remember him strapping me into the back seat of that Nova and buzzing it down the road, until my Mom freaked out and scolded him for putting me in harms way! I was 8 years old :P

• Like 4

2 hours ago, teaman said:

Dang, I never got anywhere near 24.5 mpg in my 2007 Charger Daytona Rich, and mine only had the 5.7 Hemi.

Tim 

You know there's really only one way to check the mileage? Fill it up, drive it, fill it back up, check the mileage again:D  Quite a few people use the car's instant fuel mileage  computer to give them the MPG. I had a BMW that would show 60 MPG when I drove it easy! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

You know there's really only one way to check the mileage? Fill it up, drive it, fill it back up, check the mileage again:D  Quite a few people use the car's instant fuel mileage  computer to give them the MPG. I had a BMW that would show 60 MPG when I drove it easy! 

Good Monday morning everyone.................:emotion-44:   Enjoying another vacation day here...  

Ceptor, that is what I tried to clarify with my photo....   The 'trend' meter is instant...responds to the TPS.

The average MPG display (a totally different animal) is just that...Did you not have one in the BMW?  That certainly would NOT behave that way...

My Ford Escape has both as well.   Right now, I am looking at my average mileage for better then a year's time because I don't reset it UNLESS the Ford dealer accidentally does when they do my oil change service. 

Presently,  my average is hanging right at 24.5 mpg.   That will change during the winter, especially if I pre-warm the car which takes the mileage down quickly over a couple months time.....  Sitting in lots of traffic with idle time on the engine will do the same thing, I can watch the mpg average drop a point after about 5 minutes sitting with the engine running!

I can also tell you that, when it says your range is down to a mile, they mean it..!   Did that with Chris' Mariner (same as my Escape) on a trip to NC. a few years ago.

We missed a fuel exit due to a construction site on the highway, and I had been pushing my luck ...   It was scary, got off the next exit which was NOT a fuel exit, ended up in a small town, early on a Sunday morning looking for a station.   Down to '0' miles left on the meter...   Knocked on a house door, lucky a lady answered and said the gas station was DOWN HILL about a mile down the road.   With engine running, we coasted to this station!   I filled it up, and the pump showed just what the fuel capacity of the tank was ! (16.5 gal. !)  

Needless to say, I never fool with that anymore, and always get off for fuel when it says 25 miles left before EMPTY....:excl2:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

I understand But isn't the instant, real time fuel mileage what I'm looking at for This particular period of time? I completely understand this car Does Not Average 24.5. In town is around 17-18 driving very conservativly. Being Very generous with the loud pedal has seen 13.  But 75% of the time I drive to what I am - a Grand Pa. I worked with a guy who said you drive like an old man, this when I had an Audi S4 V8

and he a V6 Honda coupe. Knowing the outcome we still had a little fun one day after work. Upon smoking him, I rolled down the window, both of us smiling and said "how's that sonny". A good chuckle was had.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Tigerman said:

Hello Rich..........yes, the instant 'trend' gauge will give you that for sure..    Ah, I see the new Audi s4 is a v6 now.....

Seems the trend to obtain emission/fuel mileage requirements. Smaller displacement, turbocharged is the trend. And I see Honda has done away with their V6 engine in 2018 for yes, smaller turbos. But an interesting car for Honda will be the Civic R Spec with 305hp, manual only. Now That might be fun. Power to weight should make it damn quick. 

• Like 2

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2013/08/17/212710767/how-many-cups-of-coffee-per-day-is-too-many

How Many Cups Of Coffee Per Day Are Too Many?

August 17, 20135:54 AM ET
_mg_0043_wide-af5cd5abda9bd58148b0793f86

A barista makes coffee using the pour-over method at Artifact Coffee in Baltimore.

NPR/Benjamin Morris

That morning cup of Joe is a daily, practically sacred ritual for many of us. A large body of research has confirmed that a coffee habit is perfectly fine for most people, and may even have some health benefits – from fighting depression in womento lowering the risk of strokeand prostate cancer.

But is there too much of a good thing?

A study published this week in Mayo Clinic Proceedingssuggests that when it comes to coffee, too much appears to be more than 28 cups per week, at least if you are under 55.

The researchers found that younger men who passed the 28-cup weekly threshold – which works out to about four cups per day – had a 56 percent increased risk of death from all causes. Younger women who were heavy coffee drinkers had a greater than two-fold increased mortality risk. A cup was defined as eight ounces of coffee.

"The older people, over 55, were not affected by these high amounts of coffee," study co-author Dr. Chip Lavie, a cardiologist at the John Ochsner Heart and Vascular Institute in New Orleans, said in a video statement.

• Like 1

....good evening my friends................well, since we were sharing photos of old autos of the past....  I thought I would share a fresh photo from my garage (wall on the other side of Music Hall actually :emotion-29:)   Hard to believe this one is going on 21 years old !  When purchased back in 1999, I coated everything rubber under the hood and all the triple door seals, hood and trunk seals included with 100% silicone spray (NO other chemicals/petroleum in it)...  All rubber is still like new...  I just bought two more cans today at a warehouse in town..   Food grade silicone spray is what I use...  If anyone would like some of this product, I would be happy to share the info...IMG_6643.jpg

• Like 2

.......well, you probably thought (ok, what condition are those headlights in?)  so, here they are, original, with 3 winters on them, so there are tiny dings from our New England roads, however, there is NO fade or fog....  I simply used a detail spray wax on them and the paint/finish for the shows/cruise nights....  here is a photo from moments ago....  (split on seal around bottom is an actual seam....both have this)IMG_6735.jpg

• Like 1