Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Tigerman said:

Good afternoon my friends.....  Just got back last evening from my annual trip to see my folks in NC. Instead of putting miles on Chris'  Mariner, I decided this year, we would rent...

MPK, I must tell you, we ended up with a '17 Santa Fe' pretty well loaded, seating for SEVEN !!   AWD and a 290 HP. v6....  6 speed auto/manual shift..  It was quiet, comfortable and had every bit of power my Escape has. But with a bit more room inside...

We returned it this morning...   The most amazing thing was the fact that it got GREAT fuel eco.  !    Our trip home was 12.5 hours actual driving time.   Took many photos of the fuel mileage we were getting.   When it finally settled down about half way home (about 6 hours into the trip), you can see the average (and the trend gauge) for yourself..   It pretty much stayed this way right 'till we got home!   Keep in mind, this thing can tow 5000lbs. !, so it must weigh in over the 3500lbs. of my Escape.

I got some photos when the average ran up to 30.3 mpg. when we here headed down the long hills of the highway, but once we settled on the more equal grades, it went back to 29....  This at 73 mph. with AC and cruise pretty much in continuous use..

Here is a photo..IMG_6656.jpg

Nice vehicle @tigerwoodKhorns  So I have to tell y'all. One of our vehicles is a 2006 a Saturn Vue with 306,000 miles on it. Seats 5. I will drive it to the wheels fall off. 30 MPG on the highway fully loaded with our "stuff" and everybody else's "stuff", when we travel. We had the rear seats down and "stuff" stacked up to the roof when we travelled to Hope, AR for the Pilgrimage. It gets about 26 MPG running errands around town. Original motor. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, dtel's wife said:

Nice vehicle @tigerwoodKhorns  So I have to tell y'all. One of our vehicles is a 2006 a Saturn Vue with 306,000 miles on it. Seats 5. I will drive it to the wheels fall off. 30 MPG on the highway fully loaded with our "stuff" and everybody else's "stuff", when we travel. We had the rear seats down and "stuff" stacked up to the roof when we travelled to Hope, AR for the Pilgrimage. It gets about 26 MPG running errands around town. Original motor. 

Uh oh.  Do I have a sock puppet?  Not me.

Speaking of driving until the wheels fall off,  I have a 1996 Lexus LS400, 120K miles.  Just sat for 3 hours barely moving in a traffic jam, about 104 degrees outside, and the air never stopped blowing cold and I did not have to turn it down.  AC has never been touched.  Best car I have ever owned.

• Like 5

Thanks for adding,  MKP and Mike.............. 

I have found the BIG difference between those earlier GM products and today's newer technology as in the Sante FE' is, you can have 290 HP. which is a nice fun factor for the most part, and do it in a 4000 lb. vehicle (0 to 60 in 7.3 sec.) and still get the mpg !!  I am still amazed, not sure many AWD suv's can boast that performance (AND economy when driven easily)....  It is why I wanted to share that photo, that average is the real deal if the computer is being truthful :lol:....

Mark, I just checked and that 3.3 liter motor is direct injected (normally aspirated) with dual variable valve timing.   Also has a top speed of 130mph. as tested by C&D...   All this high tech stuff :o

Well, we had fun with it anyway.....;)

• Like 2

Not generally taking my car on longer trips we drove I35 from KC to Wichita this weekend and got to check steady hiway mileage.

Dodge Challenger 6.4L 8 speed auto. Auto pilot set to speed limit, 75,  got 24.5mpg. Pretty good I think for a heavy car with 485hp V8.

At 75 was only turning about 1800rpm, really just coasting along. And yes this engine has the cylinder cutout feature which I hate and disable in town but serves well on the open road.  Electronics can show real time HP and torque readings. Flat hiway crusing using all of 45-50 HP; torque around 125 ft. Lbs. I told my wife this justifies having the extra 435 HP - ya know, just in case.

• Like 3

Nice Rich!  Yes, I hear that is a 'heavy' platform, but they are working on making them lighter ??   But, yeah, the very TALL gearing helps, but I would bet it comes out of 'lockup' in 8th if it is a substantial incline on the highway....   The Sante FE' would stay in top gear in the manual mode!  I think there would be lots of downshifts if I had hills to deal with....

What color Challenger ?   I remember well getting rides with fellow gearheads that had BRAND NEW Mopars back in those final days of the muscle cars...  Fun times...   Could have bought my buddie's 1970 GTX = 440 - 6 pack (only 2 years old with 24k) for $2400 !!!   Instead, I bought a brand new 1973 Olds for $2700 instead.....  Darn, too young and stupid  :wacko:...............but later, a 1968 Olds W-29 442 in '74.....  Restored 7 year old car, owned it for 12 more years...

Now, I have my 20 year old Taurus SHO.............only 57k and been in storage since 2000.  Needs nothing, still looks like a 3 year old car :D.............the replaced OEM tires still have all the little molding 'fingers' hanging off the sidewalls :lol:....  One day, I will drive it again...............car shows and cruise nights here we go !!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, richieb said:

Not generally taking my car on longer trips we drove I35 from KC to Wichita this weekend and got to check steady hiway mileage.

Dodge Challenger 6.4L 8 speed auto. Auto pilot set to speed limit, 75,  got 24.5mpg. Pretty good I think for a heavy car with 485hp V8.

At 75 was only turning about 1800rpm, really just coasting along. And yes this engine has the cylinder cutout feature which I hate and disable in town but serves well on the open road.  Electronics can show real time HP and torque readings. Flat hiway crusing using all of 45-50 HP; torque around 125 ft. Lbs. I told my wife this justifies having the extra 435 HP - ya know, just in case.

I was hanging out on I35 this past week! Had a conference in Overland Park on Thursday. Didn't notice any Challengers passing me up, so must have missed ya!

7 minutes ago, Tigerman said:

Nice Rich!  Yes, I hear that is a 'heavy' platform, but they are working on making them lighter ??   But, yeah, the very TALL gearing helps, but I would bet it comes out of 'lockup' in 8th if it is a substantial incline on the highway....   The Sante FE' would stay in top gear in the manual mode!  I think there would be lots of downshifts if I had hills to deal with....

What color Challenger ?   I remember well getting rides with fellow gearheads that had BRAND NEW Mopars back in those final days of the muscle cars...  Fun times...   Could have bought my buddie's 1970 GTX = 440 - 6 pack (only 2 years old with 24k) for $2400 !!!   Instead, I bought a brand new 1973 Olds for $2700 instead.....  Darn, too young and stupid  :wacko:...............but later, a 1968 Olds W-29 442 in '74.....  Restored 7 year old car, owned it for 12 more years...

Now, I have my 20 year old Taurus SHO.............only 57k and been in storage since 2000.  Needs nothing, still looks like a 3 year old car :D.............the replaced OEM tires still have all the little molding 'fingers' hanging off the sidewalls :lol:....  One day, I will drive it again...............car shows and cruise nights here we go !!

Small world,  I had a '69 442 unfortunately Not the W30 package. But the 455 could still get up and go. And a 440 Coronet in early 70's. 

The Challenger is Ingot Silver with black lightweight Mopar wheels. I'm still surprised how many compliments I get about the car. 

And yeah she's a big pig about 4300lbs. I think. And like you said 8th gear in standard D has her doing about 2300 rpm at 100. I would think its a 170mph car.  When running in sport mode using paddle shifters it shifts remarkably quick but when you really jump in it it revs to redline in a split second and you need shift through the gears quickly. And in sport mode the active exhaust opens up and sounds pretty damn good. I really like the car and so far zero issues, zero rattles so knock on wood.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MookieStl said:

I was hanging out on I35 this past week! Had a conference in Overland Park on Thursday. Didn't notice any Challengers passing me up, so must have missed ya!

You didn't Miss me, you just didn't See me -- beep beep -!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tigerman said:

1 hour ago, richieb said:

Small world,  I had a '69 442 unfortunately Not the W30 package. But the 455 could still get up and go. And a 440 Coronet in early 70's. 

The Challenger is Ingot Silver with black lightweight Mopar wheels. I'm still surprised how many compliments I get about the car. 

And yeah she's a big pig about 4300lbs. I think. And like you said 8th gear in standard D has her doing about 2300 rpm at 100. I would think its a 170mph car.  When running in sport mode using paddle shifters it shifts remarkably quick but when you really jump in it it revs to redline in a split second and you need shift through the gears quickly. And in sport mode the active exhaust opens up and sounds pretty damn good. I really like the car and so far zero issues, zero rattles so knock on wood.

You guys had me at 442:D

I had a 69 442 in high school, it was a 4 speed. It had a small block 400. I ran the crapola out of that car. Would love to get another one.

• Like 2

Sounds like you got a good one Rich! Nice on the 442..........but, need to clear the air........  The 400 cid. was the correct engine in 1969.  The 455 cid. was available on the Hurst Olds ONLY, and was introduced in the 1970 w-30...

The '68 and '69 motors were LONG strokers and differed from the '67 400 cid.    If memory serves, the pistons were under 4" and the stroke was 4:25"   ...   Redline on mine was 5400 !   But made 410 ft. lb. of torque in the low 2000 rpm. range...  Autos were rated at 325 HP.  4 speeds were 350 HP.

The '68 - 9's were W-29's   the higher performance W-30's option had the under bumper ram air system.........RED thermo-plastic wheel wells under the hood....   Interesting thing is, if you wanted, you could order the W-30 vertical fender stripe for your W-29 if you wanted...   I put one on mine....   :)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

You guys had me at 442:D

I had a 69 442 in high school, it was a 4 speed. It had a small block 400. I ran the crapola out of that car. Would love to get another one.

You know 'Cept you need to attend at Hope sometime soon. A 442, RC51 - like brothers from another mother --?

• Like 1