Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

32 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Thanks.  Between my track saw and son in laws table saw, everything fit together perfectly.  When we had all the baffles in place, you could put a straight edge across every one and not see daylight under any of them.

I take it the track saw works well?  I've been looking at getting one myself.  Seems to be the next best thing to a proper table saw setup.  What brand do you have?  I was looking at this one.  http://www.grizzly.com/products/Track-Saw/T10687

Figured it would work for a few sub projects.  Great looking build though.  Looking forward to seeing it finished.

• Like 2

I have a couple of those female type children as well.  15 and 13, I'm right in the thick of it.  When the wife and those 2 get going sometimes I hide in the bedroom. :ph34r:  Thankfully, the gear that I listen to the most is there.  It's like a safe haven.

• Like 2

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, ACV92 said:

I have a couple of those female type children as well.  15 and 13, I'm right in the thick of it.  When the wife and those 2 get going sometimes I hide in the bedroom. :ph34r:  Thankfully, the gear that I listen to the most is there.  It's like a safe haven.

We had 3 girls, I think the teenage years are the worst, teens know everything.

Glad that now there all in the late 30's.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dtel said:

You got that right.  Oldest is in driver's ed right now and every time her and Mom go driving she comes back mad.  Does not like criticism of her skills.  I'm sure in her mind she's ready to drive across the country, hardly.  Good kid, as you said though, a teenager.

• Like 3

Time for a tonic. Spent the morning getting repair estimates on my truck and 10' diameter stone pad with fire pit built
2003 Silverado SS with 166000 miles no work on suspension other than shocks and brakes.

tie rod ends
stabilizer bar links
steering gearbox replacement (slight leak, I remember changing the seal in the days gone by)
left rear caliper is dragging for some reason (pucks or slides?)
front and rear differential drain and re-fill (Chevy says due at 150,000)
brake system flush
power steering flush

Shop 1 never used them before but in business since 1950s:

just change one tie rod end that is worn

would change both rear calipers / pads
they use only GM OEM

$3850.00 - $50 military discount

Shop 2 have used them in the past and was pleased
replace all 4 tie rod ends
replace left rear caliper assy and both side pads (5 and 7 mm remaining, front good; weird I replaced all rotors and pads at same time a couple of years ago)
GM steering box and Moog tie rod end, didn't ask about the caliper
$1850 if paid in cash

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, ACV92 said:

I take it the track saw works well?  I've been looking at getting one myself.  Seems to be the next best thing to a proper table saw setup.  What brand do you have?  I was looking at this one.  http://www.grizzly.com/products/Track-Saw/T10687

Figured it would work for a few sub projects.  Great looking build though.  Looking forward to seeing it finished.

I have a Festool.  It will cut as accurately as you can mark.  It's easier than using a table saw for ripping full sheets.  It's also faster because there's no set up per cut like a table say.  For me it's easier to cut angles as you just draw a line and cut as opposed to using a protractor and setting up a jig.  I wouldn't say it's the next best thing, I'd say it's different and in many respects better

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Went fishing at Rodney's fishing and caught 9 nice bass , Roy probably cought more I would think.

About when it started to get dark we went to the clubhouse, only about 5-6 people last night but they had the 396's cranked up. At first they sounded funny, almost no bass, Roy found the problem. When they moved them someone wired them out of phase so very little bass. After he fixed it there was plenty bass, it had been a while since I had heard them, I forgot how good they sounded. :emotion-21:

We left after 2 this morning, it's a rough place to hang out. Still have not left Roy's, it will be dark when we get home at this rate.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Time for a tonic. Spent the morning getting repair estimates on my truck and 10' diameter stone pad with fire pit built
2003 Silverado SS with 166000 miles no work on suspension other than shocks and brakes.

tie rod ends
stabilizer bar links
steering gearbox replacement (slight leak, I remember changing the seal in the days gone by)
left rear caliper is dragging for some reason (pucks or slides?)
front and rear differential drain and re-fill (Chevy says due at 150,000)
brake system flush
power steering flush

Shop 1 never used them before but in business since 1950s:

just change one tie rod end that is worn

would change both rear calipers / pads
they use only GM OEM

$2850.00 - $50 military discount

Shop 2 have used them in the past and was pleased
replace all 4 tie rod ends
replace left rear caliper assy and both side pads (5 and 7 mm remaining, front good; weird I replaced all rotors and pads at same time a couple of years ago)
GM steering box and Moog tie rod end, didn't ask about the caliper
$1850 if paid in cash

Rear caliper issue is not uncommon on the Chevy's of that vintage, or other brands as well.  Corrosion and rust are big problems out back.  Many times on the GM's it was the right rear that was the issue.  Saw this in a lot of shops. 

The problem is airflow over the rear brakes.  Was just in a class and this was briefly discussed.  That's why some newer cars are going back to drum rear.  I saw a '16 Tercel not too long ago with drums.  Could just be a bad caliper though.  I like OEM myself but $1,000 difference is pretty substantial.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ACV92 said:

34 minutes ago, dtel said:

28 minutes ago, -js- said:

and sometimes the knowing it all continues into the 20's.  I have a step daughter like that.  knows everything

I have 2 teenage daughters, both good kids. I will take girls over boys ANY day. I have 5 brothers, I know what boys are capable of :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Just curious, what was the price on the 10' stone pad and fire pit?

$2000.00 estimate. This is based on one that is going in at new house being built on my street and the home owner is acting a general contractor. I am tagging in on some concrete parking pad and some interior paint. I looked at his fire pit (gorgeous work) done by the guy that did his interior and exterior stone work. Mine will be grey tone rather than his sand / beige.

His stone guy hauls the material from San Antonio (2 hours away) and sleeps in my neighbor's garage during the week as he works saving motel bills. Last time I priced a metal pit it was that much. Cheap enough that even the wife said let's do it and she don't be spending no $$

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, -js- said:

and sometimes the knowing it all continues into the 20's.  I have a step daughter like that.  knows everything

True, they still know everything, and now we're just old is what they think.

We are old, can't argue with that, it's best to just let them think they are always right.

Then later when something happens, just say how did that work out for you? :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, USNRET said:

$2000.00 estimate. This is based on one that is going in at new house being built on my street and the home owner is acting a general contractor. I am tagging in on some concrete parking pad and some interior paint. I looked at his fire pit (gorgeous work) done but the guy that did his interior and exterior stone work. Mine will be grey tone rather than his sand / beige.

His stone guy hauls the material from San Antonio (2 hours away) and sleeps in my neighbor's garage during the week as he works saving motel bills. Last time I priced a metal pit it was that much. Cheap enough that even the wife said let's do it and she don't be spending no $$

That's a very good price. I like that light colored stone look, seems popular around there, probably a light colored mortar also. I've done those ranging from $1000-$6000.

Will you burn wood or have a gas log? Here's a couple pics of a nicer one I built. Homeowner asked if I could add a water feature....

Firepit 1.jpg

Firepit 4.jpg

• Like 4