Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

I have lusted over your work in the past..VERY nice. This will be simple 10' diameter flag stone (my words, I know nothing) on sand and concrete under-layment with 1 36" pit using fire brick bottom and special mortar, no gas. Have yet to meet the 'stoner' and just sending photos of our house brick for matching. He returns Wed and based on trust of my neighbor I said it would be ok to haul the stone down to save a 4 hour round trip.

What should I ask?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ACV92 said:

Rear caliper issue is not uncommon on the Chevy's of that vintage, or other brands as well.  Corrosion and rust are big problems out back.  Many times on the GM's it was the right rear that was the issue.  Saw this in a lot of shops. 

The problem is airflow over the rear brakes.  Was just in a class and this was briefly discussed.  That's why some newer cars are going back to drum rear.  I saw a '16 Tercel not too long ago with drums.  Could just be a bad caliper though.  I like OEM myself but $1,000 difference is pretty substantial.

Yep, I have an extremely low mileage (60K) 1999 Silverado that needed fairly extensive brake work as the calipers were basically falling apart. Another big issue associated with is the brake lines to the rear, under the bed. A buddy and me did mine last spring and depending how far forward you splice can be a Real pain. Best way is to remove the bed and since he owns a body shop and three 1000 pound hoists the job was relatively simple. New shocks all around too --

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, richieb said:

Yep, I have an extremely low mileage (60K) 1999 Silverado that needed fairly extensive brake work as the calipers were basically falling apart. Another big issue associated with is the brake lines to the rear, under the bed. A buddy and me did mine last spring and depending how far forward you splice can be a Real pain. Best way is to remove the bed and since he owns a body shop and three 1000 pound hoists the job was relatively simple. New shocks all around too --

Replaced the brake lines for corrosion failure about 3 years ago. One burst just after I turned off the freeway @70 and was down to 5 mph when I had zippity.

• Sad 1

No need for a huge foundation I guess, not much frost. Usually water drainage is an issue here, again from the freezing, but being built for water to escape can help. A gravel base below the fire pit area will help with water. A fire brick lined pit is very good, will take all the heat you can generate. I haven't found any kind of masonry, concrete, stone, or granite that can withstand the 1000 degree heat a wood fire can create. I like to run the fire brick all the way to the top, where the coping or trim stops, that way no masonry is exposed to the heat. This way might not look the best, but will last the longest. This is more important if they're using brick, very few clay brick will hold up to a fire. If the homeowner uses a gas log, I'll use a nice something nice looking to cope, or finish the top. 

Here's one designed for a gas log, limestone coping on top. That stone would last about 15 minutes with a wood fire....

IMG_20130925_093402.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Schu said:

wow... I love that. very nice

Thanks....that started as a 2 day long, $3000 small stamped concrete patio, ended up a month long 80k project. The homeowner just kept adding things. The bad thing was I didn't have a month's work for him scheduled, I actually lost a builder from that job.

• Sad 1

59 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

That's a very good price. I like that light colored stone look, seems popular around there, probably a light colored mortar also. I've done those ranging from $1000-$6000.

Will you burn wood or have a gas log? Here's a couple pics of a nicer one I built. Homeowner asked if I could add a water feature....

Firepit 1.jpg

Firepit 4.jpg

@Ceptorman That is drop dead gorgeous.  I would have put a wood fired pizza over on the fountain side, but that is exceptional work.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Replaced the brake lines for corrosion failure about 3 years ago. One burst just after I turned off the freeway @70 and was down to 5 mph when I had zippity.

Yep I noticed from one day to next that the brake pedal was nearing the floor and braking was "marginal". After parking in the drive, of course, I see a rather large puddle of fluid. Brake fluid of course. The mechanic in me quickly assessed I had a brake issue. Got 'er done in the next couple days. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, USNRET said:

So I can expect @Ceptorman to be observing spring break down here on Padre Island for a working vaca?

I did a 2 week vacation last summer in the San Antonio area, 3 days spent installing French doors at my FIL's home.

I really liked it down there, everyone was friendly, awful hot though.

I like doing the hi-end outdoor rec areas, they pay well. A lot of my work is just standard masonry.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

@Ceptorman That is drop dead gorgeous.  I would have put a wood fired pizza over on the fountain side, but that is exceptional work.

I did suggest a pizza oven in the cedar shelter/bar area, I was surprised they didn't add it. It already had a gas grill, fridge, TV, sound system. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, USNRET said:

Any tips on getting surface rust off calipers and rotors?  Some kind of spray?  The new to me Z4 has some.....doesn't bother anything....just cosmetic for now.