Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

So I got introduced to cannolis of a different variety via Sicilian Italians, can't stand the chocolate chips in them. Well they didn't anyhow.

We do a little cocoa powder on top followed by the reddi whip!

Since Publix came here three years ago I can get them without the choc chips!!

Before that nothing, nada. The cream is easy, never tried to make the shells...I'm not a baker and don't wanna be.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

All this martini talk I had to go make one.  No vodka snob here.....any of the top five mentioned before is okay.  Can't say I would want a Smirnoff pour though.  Use an insulated shaker, glass from the freezer, bleu cheese stuffed olive, and Carl's 100 shake formula.  Bien!

I've read that Sobieski is pretty good.  It's really cheap which scares me a bit but I'm willing to take one for the team and try it out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

So I got introduced to cannolis of a different variety via Sicilian Italians, can't stand the chocolate chips in them. Well they didn't anyhow.

We do a little cocoa powder on top followed by the reddi whip!

Since Publix came here three years ago I can get them without the choc chips!!

Before that nothing, nada. The cream is easy, never tried to make the shells...I'm not a baker and don't wanna be.  

ricotta impastata....  what is used to

make cannoli...

and John i can send you some shells

Casa Imports Cora Pastry Cannoli Shells, 6 ea
Casa Imports Cora Pastry Cannoli Shells, 6 ea Image 1 of 1

Casa Imports Cora Pastry Cannoli 
  • Like 1

That would be great but my 55 was in June<_<

That's a brand partial to your latitude, never seen it down here.

Make it with the leftover ricotta from making Lasagna a couple times a year. We get those big packages at BJ's.

conf sugar, lemon rind, pinch cinnamon & something else.

No whip cream???

Or you're a purist and make your own!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

That would be great but my 55 was in June<_<

That's a brand partial to your latitude, never seen it down here.

Make it with the leftover ricotta from making Lasagna a couple times a year. We get those big packages at BJ's.

conf sugar, lemon rind, pinch cinnamon & something else.

SICILIAN CANNOLI

MARCH 15, 2011

cannoli recipe

Ricotta impastata, a smoother and drier version of ricotta, is typically used for filling Sicilian cannoli. This recipe comes from cookbook author Nick Malgieri.

Landon Nordeman

Ricotta impastata, a smoother and drier version of ricotta, is typically used for filling cannoli. This recipe comes from cookbook author Nick Malgieri. This recipe appeared in our March 2011 issue as a part of our special feature, Soul of Sicily

MAKES ABOUT 24

For the Dough

2 12 cups flour
14 cup sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. kosher salt
4 tbsp. unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
5 tbsp. red wine
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 egg white, lightly beaten
Canola oil, for frying

For the Filling

1 lb. ricotta, drained overnight in a cheesecloth-lined strainer, or ricotta impastata
34 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. orange zest
Amarena cherries, halved, to garnish
Candied orange peel strips, to garnish
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, ssh said:

I had several shots of Sobieski last night. It's OK. Try Tito's. The drinks got much better when we moved to Glenlivet, though.

SSH

I've had Titos.....Carl recommended it many years ago.  Good for the price but really am a Belvedere guy unless you can pour me some Perma Frost.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

I've had Titos.....Carl recommended it many years ago.  Good for the price but really am a Belvedere guy unless you can pour me some Perma Frost.

Agreed.  I'm down to 4 bottles I believe.  It's special occasion stuff now.

• Like 3

@Tarheel Do the apple glasses go with the apple plates,  the apple bowls with apple cups and saucers???  Have the apple meat platter too???  Hahaha!  Try Corelle it's much simpler!   Which brings me to the question:  Soooo, my Johnnie Walker Green label neat in a small apple glass would pair well with an apple glass of ice water???  I had to...  Have an entire box full you can have!   😂  😂  😂 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

@Tarheel Do the apple glasses go with the apple plates,  the apple bowls with apple cups and saucers???  Have the apple meat platter too???  Hahaha!  Try Corelle it's much simpler!   Which brings me to the question:  Soooo, my Johnnie Walker Green label neat in a small apple glass would pair well with an apple glass of ice water???  I had to...  Have an entire box full you can have!   😂  😂  😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, rplace said:

In a Perfect Manhattan, don't waste them on cookies/baking.

since I don't drink I would not waste

them in a cocktail...

but if you do... I recommend these

This button opens a dialog that displays additional images for this product with the option to zoom in or out.Great Value Maraschino Cherries, 10 oz
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1