Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

I KNOW he's gonna be leaking!  ^^^^^^^^^^  Just dropped $60 on a fresh gallon of antique white for the trim @ Sherman-William's.  That was with a $29.95 discount?  Seriously?  Called the girl @ the local store and she asked what type I wanted.  I told her:  One coat cover, semi-gloss and totally bullet proof at that price.  Guess paint's going off the charts right along with wallpaper.  Amazing.

• Sad 1

• Moderators

Paint has gone up quite a bit in the last couple years, the wallyworld paint is thinner than water. Stopped using it a long time ago when I first tried it and it took 4 coats to cover anything. Behr also seems to be pretty good.

• Like 2

@dtel  Long story on paint with me.  ALWAYS dealt local w/a guy who carried "Dutch Standard" not "Dutch Boy."  Best paint on the planet until the company was sold to Lowe's.  Then I shifted to the best stuff Lowe's had so have had trim and ceiling/sidewall paint sitting here forever.  Did the ceiling, which looked fine but not as bright a white as Benjamin-Moore ceiling white, which has the brightest white out there.  Today it's $75 a gallon and no one has it w/in 50 miles of here.  Settled for Sherman-Williams but the Lowe's antique white semi--gloss I was cutting trim with just wasn't right.  It even looked flat when it dried so I stopped.  I wouldn't put it on for someone I knew so I'm darn sure not gonna put it on for me.  Yea, just like you.  Old and picky!  lol  Most cheaper paints are the first flush of the factory mixing tank that's canned and sold cheap.  Covers at some point.  Nothing wrong with it if you like to paint about 4 coats to cover.  lol

• Like 5

wally did that to  lot of reputable companies, too.  A lot of feature laden junk there...

Cleaned up the house, after the wild party last night. lol

Did the floors this AM... Was busy at 7AM... might have been earlier... I dunno. The sun was up. So, I turned on the music.

just finished dinner... Threw some shrimp under the broiler. That's what I call "fast food".  15min from freezer to mouth. Most of the time was thawing them. Bet they weren't in the "fire" for 5min. Succulent... almost popped when I bit them.

Dumb Q

Does shrimp ever soften up after it gets overcooked?  Is it like squid, where it's either cooked for two minutes or two hours, ... otherwise it will be rubber bands?

• Like 3

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

Does shrimp ever soften up after it gets overcooked?  

Not sure, I think they just get mushy, if boiling and you mess up they seem to be impossible to peel.

Had a friend in town for a few days he left to go back home this morning, it was really nice to see him, it had been a few months.

He likes crawfish so we boiled 2 sacks of Thursday and smoked some ribs and a piece of brisket another day and did little else but take a break.

• Like 2

I see the Chiefs won the Super Bowl yet again - 31-20 for those uninformed. And in an hour and forty-five minutes no less. Watching replays like this will spoil us all when having to sit through 3 1/2 hours of commercials and some football — . 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Nice afternoon on the deck with LF and Jake.  Alexa playing a John Prine playlist that I knew by heart.  3 martinis and pistachios. 

why does your shelter in place sound so wonderful, and some are complaining about it! 

You got it figured out there buddy!

• Like 1

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Tarheel said:
12 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

if stays hard for more than 4 hours..

call your doctor

If mine stays hard for over four hours I'm calling everyone I know!

My wife would not be happy at all, just saying.

• Moderators

Everything is fine, no one is sick even the daughter that is a RN, she does Hospice work and not exposed as much as if she was in a hospital. She does not visit, just in case. 

Were doing fine, one grand kid 12 has been with us for week now visiting and his little brother came today who is 7 and is staying the night, probably just tonight for him. Just to get them out of the house and to have something different to do. There mother our middle daughter is a teacher and working from home. They have been fishing and playing in the yard and kind of driving me crazy but they needed a break from doing nothing at home.

Had a friend over for a few days from out of town until yesterday and had a good time cooking/eating and mostly doing nothing, that was really nice, and we fished a little also, caught a bunch of small bass in the yard.

It's been good.

How have you and your quickly growing daughter Gia doing ?

• Like 5

• Moderators

I haven't been here much with the friend over and honestly I got aggravated with some things going on here in some threads and just stayed away a little and took a break from it. 

Plus about 1.5 weeks ago I discovered in a room in the back of the house had a termite nest, they did some damage. Sprayed the correct chemicals in that ceiling and the floor in the room above it and waited a a couple days and started tearing out a wall, and the ceiling and floor in the room above. Got it all cleaned out and removed all wood that had damage and found no live termites. So i have just been spraying off and on all through the rest of the house including the attic but have not started replacing boards or flooring yet. I think were going to get a termite person to come and treat everything while it's all opened up and inspect everything. Then I will start replacing what I tore out, some studs and ceiling/floor joist then sheet it all back, insulate again then paint.

It's not a big deal, i built the house myself so I know how it is all put together. The main thing is the termites are all dead, the nest was 8" thick and about 2' x 6 ' between floors against a back wall. Enough chemicals was used, about 12 gallons was sprayed in all the walls and between floors and all through the attic, everywhere really and I have enough to make probably 6 more gallons, it can't hurt.

It's not as bad as it sounds mostly because where it was. About a 12' wide by 7' long ceiling and floor in the room above is missing now and a piece of wall about 10' wide in that room. I could just make it easy and make that bedroom 2 story's tall. :o But then we would lose an extra bedroom upstairs which gets used at times, so it will all go back as it was before. 

• Sad 4