Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

I quit 41 years ago but still like the smell at times. Some cigars and pipe tobacco in particular. Remembering a man at a camp ground when I was young coughing his guts out for great periods of time each morning with his morning cigarettes quickly overwhelms any desire to inhale.

• Thanks 1

Good on you that have ...

my success amounts to quitting between cigs.

Well,

Made bread today. Emptied the 10lb canister.  OK, it's time to get out "the bag" of flour. Now remember what we started with ... the want for 10 kilos. The bag was bigger than that... W/o looking, I said 20 kilos... Went out to the car. Tugged on this 20 kilo bag. I tugged back. Rolled it over... not 10 or 20 K..... 44kilos. 100lbs. Wasn't about to manhandle something 3/4 my weight. Got the wheelbarrow.  at 20cent/lb, I can experiment with making tortillas. The recipe I pulled from the net made 8.... Obviously, this is not for a family that eats tortillas.That wouldn't last one sitting.

Cleaned/refilled "the pool" yesterday. Been a lot of wasps watering at it. I don't mind sharing and they were well behaved.... but 4 or 5 all the time pushed the envelope too far.  After I drowned 10, they stopped. Today, I got 3... and had to wait for them.  I bet they are getting thirsty back at the nest. Prolly pretty quiet there, too. Can't have been that many.

We get crickets in the house. I do not understand the Japanese tradition of keeping one in a cage.  I don't find their chirping soothing. One day I was watching two wrestling in the middle of the floor. Two males... They would chirp at each other and go after fisticuffs. After several rounds, a winner was declared... me. I won by a foot... Squish

• Haha 1

come the rainy season, we will have tarantulas visit.On a scale of things, they are quite mellow. We just herd them back out. Herd is a pretty accurate term for moving the adults. They move like cows. Slow and deliberate. Even tempered, too. You can make them defensive... it takes some work, tho.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grasshopper said:

come the rainy season, we will have tarantulas visit.On a scale of things, they are quite mellow. We just herd them back out. Herd is a pretty accurate term for moving the adults. They move like cows. Slow and deliberate. Even tempered, too. You can make them defensive... it takes some work, tho.

camping in Death Valley once upon a time. Doing some climbing up some rocks and this guy near me kicks my hand out of the way.  I looked and I was about to put my hand on a tarantula.  My hand was just a few inches above it when this dude kicked it out of the way. not sure what a bite would have been like, but that thing was scary looking. 

• Like 1

had to laugh ... I will skim news headlines and only read the article if it appears interesting (or incredibly stupid). this one article was listing the demands that the occupiers in Seattle have.  I don't recall all of them but some included dissolving the Seattle PD AND the court system. But, in their infinite wisdom, they want new trials for some already incarcerated.  

Maybe @DizRotus can help me understand how we can retry cases when the judicial system has been eliminated?  Who will be the judge -- the King of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland?

don't be alarmed though folks ... I'm sure that they've thought this out completely.

• Haha 1

Their bite is like a bee sting. Unless you are particularly allergic to them, they are "harmless". Climbing rocks sound like [rattle] snake and scorpion territory.We don't like those, either.

If you ever see a SunSpider... that will put scary in perspective. They make tarantulas look cuddly and cute. SunSpider are some alien looking mofos. And they are fast/ darting around. Did I mention ugly?   They don't have any venom. They will bite the crap out of you and pretty formidable as critters go. Did I mention they are UGLY?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Never smoked cigarettes though I tried a few.  My father smoked Chesterfield non filtered so I was not inclined to "borrow" those.  BTW he passed away from lung cancer in 1992.

I was never a serious smoker of cigarettes -- pot got me high, cigarettes gave me nothing of value. 

both my parents chain-smoked. I remember my mom finding a pack of smokes under my mattress and I told her that I wasn't smoking -- I was making a smoking machine. 

I don't think she believed me, but I didn't get in trouble so maybe she was impressed that I was willing to put forth such a defense. 

1 minute ago, grasshopper said:

Climbing rocks sound like [rattle] snake and scorpion territory.We don't like those, either.

have encounter both during my desert life. I actually saw myself in an episode of that 70s tv show Emergency.  This guy gets bit by a Mojave green rattler. at the hospital, he's telling the doc that he wanted to sell the venom to a hospital or lab.   I DID THAT.   When I was about 14 or 15, me and some friends thought we could sell venom to the local hospital. so we went out and caught a rattler. put it in an ice chest and lugged it home (a several mile walk). Called the hospital and they told me that "we buy our anti-venom from a laboratory."  Crap, what am I gonna do with this snake now?

another time, I can't remember how I encountered this rattler; but it ended up in the truck of my Dad's car.  I forgot about it until he came home from golfing and told me what he found when he opened the trunk to get his golf clubs.  I remember the conversation starting off very calmly with, "by the way, you can never drive my car again."

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

remember that "gateway drug" thing? 

same thing applies to social media ... first it's the Klipsch forum then twitter & instagram, and if you aren't the recipient of an intervention you can sink all the way to Facebook. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Been a warm day... breezy to go with it.

About all you can say is you don't notice sweat. You're still hot... just not dripping. Never mind the white crust growing on your skin. Washing machine couldn't keep ahead of the clothesline.

Got a couple pizzas cooling. Hope Frank [one of our cats] doesn't help himself. Been known to. He'll snipe a slice and put it his bowl. Then wife and I ask each other who gave the pizza to the cat. Usually he OK with some of the crust.

he's a very smart cat. His learning phase was horrible. He was into everything and creative all the while. I do believe he is listed on the vet's roster as No No Frank.

• Like 1