Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Far Out!

Wasn't this year.. they haven't bloomed yet... it has to be hot for a while.

They aren't florescent but they are vivid and draw hummingbirds after dawn and before dusk while they're out.

Family of bunnies have been eating on them all spring now.

67.jpg

• Like 2

Those are cool.

Wish I could grow flowers here. I have to work to make the weeds grow. I had flowers at our other place. Cosmos, zinnias, tithonia [MexicanSunflowers]... The cosmos were BRIGHT orange. Almost glowed at sunrise/sundown. More of a butterfly garden. We had plenty of hummingbirds, though.

we had dirt there.. Just a dusting of topsoil on top this hill.

I get a little sick when I think about the garden I had. Melons... watermelons and honeydew. Corn, beans, cilantro, basil and a half dozen varieties of heirloom tomatoes. 

I did have canteloupe/muskmelon. They crossed with the honeydew.

I did not care for the offspring.  Remember those marshmallow circus peanuts?    Uh huh... only juicy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, RandyH 000 said:

for years we watched tobacco adds saying cigarettes were good for us ,  will vapers contract lung diseases ?  less or more than cigarettes ?  who knows -

Having worked around fog machines..Same stuff minus nicotine....my lungs felt heavy after a couple hours -- Rock-n-Bowl

I will guess that they will have diseases. Not tobacco diseases.

Hummers are the ONLY reason I kept these rhodo's as long as I have.  They were cool to sit and watch them feed.  The downside was the fact they only lasted about two weeks.  Never hit my feeders I put out and I guess there just arent too many in this area of the hood.  Who knows but those rhodo's are MINE!  Gonna getcha, getcha, getcha one way or another!  :)

• Haha 4

we don't have to "feed". Water works fine. Water is a hot commodity here.  Sugar in it and they behave like it. Fight. They are not nice little birds. Bad attitude. When I was [notice past tense] feeding, you would hear about the feeder being empty when you went outside. They would get right in my face.

...on the other hand

seeing one bathe in the dew collected on a bean leaf was pretty cool.

• Like 2

banty roosters. 

Mornin' All

It nice out... for the next few minutes. Sun is not quite up yet. Catching the last wisps of cool before I close up the house.

SIL was discharged from the hospital. That whole scene was a #%&@ up. I'll spare you the details.

No plans for the day beyond a run to "the mall"/dump. Sposed to be another day of hot wind. Typical May weather. Interesting note on average temps vs record temps this time of year....  the records are only about 10`+ the average.  I guess it can only get so warm [for this altitude] and does it regularly. Average is 100`+.... records are right around 110`. TBH the monsoon isn't far away. The band of moisture moves back and forth around the AZ/NM state line. It is over there. We can see the clouds. That is all, for another couple weeks. SanJuanDay is coming soon. I think June 26, not sure... that is closer to normal start for the rain.

Ha! My wife's school is one of a few in AZ that are ready to open. Because there are only 20 students, the crowd size and distancing problems are [for the most part] circumvented. They are trying to establish an internet hot spot at the school, too.  I have to chuckle about that. AZ is becoming more reliant on the net and computerizing everything. That is all fine and dandy... assuming you have reliable electricity.  Ours is getting better, but... we live in an isolated area and those two are not spoken in the same sentence often.  We keep oil lamps and candles handy.

Cleaning... well, flushing the coffee machine this AM... Red blinky telling me to.

• Like 3

I been being lazy.

Chasing wilting plants and napping.

lots of "good"/reusable stuff at the dump.  Nothing I had an immediate need for. Put a couple miles on the Olds. It hasn't been run for a few weeks. It started. Didn't turn over with much enthusiasm. 

Saw a movie on TCM that so is wrong, on a number of fronts, I had to record it.

A Bright Leaf

c/p

Backed by a rich madam (Lauren Bacall), a Southerner (Gary Cooper) ruins a tobacco tycoon with a cigarette-making machine.

• Like 2

that never happens at my pool... not yet.

can't dive into my "pool".

Wanted to take a shower "Honey!!!! Did you use all the cold water?"

"Cold" tap water is about 100`. Maybe lower. You can stand in full cold w/o getting a chill, until you get out of the shower..  R/H is around 10%

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Mornin' All

A bit on the cool side this AM. Sub 50`. I'll have the house to myself for a while today. Wife has to get her covid test before she can get her eye surgery done. I was asking her what they are going to do IF she tests positive for antibodies? When she does get her eyes, I expect "Bill, I thought you were keeping the house clean!"

I will most likely entertain the neighbors. Not feeling too ambitious. I may get a spurt of energy... or not. Dog days... Eat/sleep/potty.

curious reporting on Bighorn fire. 40% contained... but doubled in size. How does that work? They have conceded a drop in the containment % after the wind yesterday.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Only good thing to say about that big fire is what you will see there in five years.

What remains will nourish all the new things to grow there, the smell of the fire won't dissipate for a long time though if you're near or driving through.

Hope your wife's sis get better @grasshopper.

• Thanks 1

she'll be OK as long as her bf doesn't "help".  He is part of the reason she had to stay at the hospital, instead of treat and discharge the same day.

I am going to refrain from ranting.  I could go off real easy on this one

the fire...

Some of the area, in danger now, burned 20 years ago. And what grew after was surprising... from the ashes of $100,000 houses grew $1,000,000 houses.

seriously,

it is a natural process.... and NEEDS to happen periodically or the forest will choke itself out, and lose diversity

• Like 2

• Moderators

Back home, watering plants and taking a break, today anyway.

I can see not much changed here, guess that's good, glad I missed the smoking/vaping and bad stuff rants. Who would have known there bad for you ?

Grandsons new gaming computer came in, it's more powerful than any I have ever seen, i/9 processor, 64gb ram and 3 tb hard drive. He also uses it for the Virtual Reality setup he had which I have never tried yet but will one day just to see what it's like.

Had fun and got to see and work with  friends but glad to be home again.

• Like 1