Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

22 hours ago, Mallette said:

Man, do I get that. 12 days into quitting nicotine after 60 years and I am going through hell. Getting old isn't for *******.

yeah , but give it a month and you'll smell  the difference ,  like the smell of clean  fresh air ,  without that tobacco flavor ----

• Like 1

6 hours ago, grasshopper said:

Their bite is like a bee sting. Unless you are particularly allergic to them, they are "harmless". Climbing rocks sound like [rattle] snake and scorpion territory.We don't like those, either.

If you ever see a SunSpider... that will put scary in perspective. They make tarantulas look cuddly and cute. SunSpider are some alien looking mofos. And they are fast/ darting around. Did I mention ugly?   They don't have any venom. They will bite the crap out of you and pretty formidable as critters go. Did I mention they are UGLY?

you mentionned it severaL times , scary , alien looking mofos , ugly , yeah , UGLY

1 hour ago, RandyH said:

yeah , but give it a month and you'll smell  the difference ,  like the smell of clean  fresh air ,  without that tobacco flavor ----

I hope so. Problem is I did not want to quit and I love that tobacco flavor. But I don't want to die to get it and am sick of being a slave. 

Dave

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mallette said:

I hope so. Problem is I did not want to quit and I love that tobacco flavor. But I don't want to die to get it and am sick of being a slave. 

Dave

That's  the same for everybody who quits ,  remember that anytime it  becomes intolerable  and you need the cig  , go ahead and smoke just to get over the craving ,  then  stop again , and take it 1 day at a time -  eventually , it will pass completely ,

14 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Dave

Good luck to you. I hope your love for life is greater than the love for tobacco flavor.  My Dad was in the hospital dying from lung cancer and still was craving a cigarette. 

I didn't smoke cigarettes seriously ... drugs were my downfall. I quit them cold-turkey but not because I wanted to -- I got sick and got scared. At first, I thought "if I get high enough, I won't realize that I'm short of breath."  That pretzel logic didn't work out. the mental addiction was the hardest part -- it had been such a big part of my life for so long that it was my normal. 

9 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

Good luck to you. I hope your love for life is greater than the love for tobacco flavor.  My Dad was in the hospital dying from lung cancer and still was craving a cigarette. 

I didn't smoke cigarettes seriously ... drugs were my downfall. I quit them cold-turkey but not because I wanted to -- I got sick and got scared. At first, I thought "if I get high enough, I won't realize that I'm short of breath."  That pretzel logic didn't work out. the mental addiction was the hardest part -- it had been such a big part of my life for so long that it was my normal. 

Appreciated. We all have our addictions and devils to deal with.

Dave

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RandyH said:

That's  the same for everybody who quits ,  remember that anytime it  becomes intolerable  and you need the cig  , go ahead and smoke just to get over the craving ,  then  stop again , and take it 1 day at a time -  eventually , it will pass completely ,

Only lapsed once so far, when I found a three pack of my cigarillos in a briefcase with a laptop I took to my campsite last weekend. Smoked them, and got no buzz or relief other than wanting more. Think I will just stay the course now. Somewhat like masturbation. Doesn't last long, doesn't satisfy, and you just want more. 

Dave

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, RandyH 000 said:

you mentionned it severaL times , scary , alien looking mofos , ugly , yeah , UGLY

that pic DizRotus put up doesn't really do them justice. That one is fairly photogenic. Does reflect their attitude. You really have to see one in person to appreciate how bad they are. Ever see something so bad it causes you to do a double take? They get some size too. Body bigger than my thumb. I will handle tarantulas. That isn't even a consideration with these... even if they would hold still long enough.

Dad's Day

...I don't expect much, being the evil step father.  I may exercise privilege and crank up the stereo. ....after it get to a more civil hour. I have the urge to do it now... 5AM is a wee early. Wish I could bring myself to be less considerate at times.

• Like 2

On 6/12/2020 at 10:53 PM, Mallette said:

Man, do I get that. 12 days into quitting nicotine after 60 years and I am going through hell. Getting old isn't for *******.

Congrats on making the decision and actually going through the process.  I'm pulling for you Dave.  Hang in there.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mallette said:

Only lapsed once so far, when I found a three pack of my cigarillos in a briefcase with a laptop I took to my campsite last weekend. Smoked them, and got no buzz or relief other than wanting more. Think I will just stay the course now. Somewhat like masturbation. Doesn't last long, doesn't satisfy, and you just want more. 

Dave

So it sounds like will you drop one of two habits — . Still not master of your domain —

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, RandyH 000 said:

Bullshit

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Good luck, Dave!  I smoked for about 30 years and must have quit 1,000 times.  I quit "once and for all" about 7 years ago.  I'm done.  No mas!  My rule is this:  NOT EVEN A PUFF!!!!!  I fear that if I break that rule, it will be just like the 1,000 other times I broke the rule... not good.

It really DOES feel better after you heal and you don't feel that nasty, scratchy feeling in your lungs anymore.  The bonus is that you don't run around stinking like an ashtray anymore, either.  Stinking like an ashtray is kind of embarrassing.

Good luck!

• Like 1

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Bullshit

Agree with you 1000% there. If you want to snuff cravings short term get Chantix, it does it with biochemistry.

Don't get anywhere nicotine in any form if you have been off for at least 3 days. Not patch, not vape, not dip/snuss, and for sure don't fool yourself into thinking (well if I just smoke a cigar that won't count). 

Drinking, talking on phone, driving, after meals, coffee will be the big triggers. Work around those, Avoid alcohol first few weeks, buy a new car you don't want to smell, etc. If you alter the behavior ahead of time, like a 10 minute walk after every meal, it's easy to break those, and it's 100x easier if you are on Chantix for 3 to 6 months after quit date.

Travis

• Like 1

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Mallette said:

Dave

Hypothetically, I might have an extra box of Chantix laying around (it can be very expensive depending on insurance). If someone here were  in the process of quitting and needed a box, well who knows that could happen.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Hypothetically, I might have an extra box of Chantix laying around (it can be very expensive depending on insurance). If someone here were  in the process of quitting and needed a box, well who knows that could happen.

Can't recall what I paid for mine, but apparently not much or I would have noticed. I've certainly noticed over the years that these crooks charge about the same for nicotine products and such as it costs to smoke. Nicotine is dirt cheap and most of the pills were generic before they were identified as possible smoking aids. It is absurd.

Dave

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Mallette said:

Can't recall what I paid for mine, but apparently not much or I would have noticed. I've certainly noticed over the years that these crooks charge about the same for nicotine products and such as it costs to smoke. Nicotine is dirt cheap and most of the pills were generic before they were identified as possible smoking aids. It is absurd.

Dave

Insurance companies finally got smart, saw that Chantix really worked, 3x more effective after 1 month, one year than weaning with gum, patch, etc. 

It runs $300 per month without insurance, sometimes you can get a coupon, but yes, you would have know if not covered in large part.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dwilawyer said:

It runs $300 per month without insurance, sometimes you can get a coupon, but yes, you would have know if not covered in large part.

As I said, as crooked as the insulin suppliers. I paid much less than that, maybe 35.00, which is still a dollar a pill and a good profit. 300 is hatefully wrong. 

Dave