Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Bullet points.....getting fancy aren't we billybob?

LF playing tennis.  Jake making licking sounds.  I'm finishing cup number 2.

Finished yard work yesterday so I'm free today until LF finishes tennis....then there's no telling what she will have me doing :huh:

A couple of photos and as always....

Cheers Ladies :emotion-44: and Gents

post-17365-0-23600000-1439637619_thumb.j

post-17365-0-68120000-1439637643_thumb.j

• Like 8

Mornin' all. Gonna hit the yardwork for a while and then we're heading out to a local festival with live music, circus acts, etc. Looks like fun. My better half insists that we get out of the house and take in a new event or location every weekend and she's right ... it's fun and good for us. Lots to do when we take the time to figure it out in advance.

Have a great Saturday and +1 to Chuck's (Tarheel's) cheers.

• Like 7

My wife is not a morning person and usually sleeps in until around 10am on the weekends. I get up around 6:30am seven days a week. I do enjoy the quiet time out in the sun room, some fresh brew, reading the latest issue of Stereophile, and listening to some tunes. It is a bit therapeutic after another week of work. Life is good.

• Like 9

Bullet points.....getting fancy aren't we billybob?

LF playing tennis.  Jake making licking sounds.  I'm finishing cup number 2.

Finished yard work yesterday so I'm free today until LF finishes tennis....then there's no telling what she will have me doing :huh:

A couple of photos and as always....

Cheers Ladies :emotion-44: and Gents

Jake looks happy you have something to work besides him......

• Like 6

Mornin' all. Gonna hit the yardwork for a while and then we're heading out to a local festival with live music, circus acts, etc. Looks like fun. My better half insists that we get out of the house and take in a new event or location every weekend and she's right ... it's fun and good for us. Lots to do when we take the time to figure it out in advance.

Have a great Saturday and +1 to Chuck's (Tarheel's) cheers.

Yes the wifes do have good input when we listen.

Wife was prodding me for the last year, get out and do something every weekend one day at least.

We do a three mile walk, local (huge) swapmeet fits the bill and just started doing this last month.

She likes the walk, i like the corndog.

• Like 8

Morning Gang

100+ today predicted all week.

Left the Cave door open last night w/fan, currently 70 and will close it up soon.

Cave will not get above 86 at the hot part of the day. 86 w/fan i can work with.

Waiting on CL responses as to my bids on Lathes, looked at one yesterday, price was right, 400+Lbs is just a tad too big.

Mr Crow in limbo as to the waiting on "new" part(s) upgrade.

I see Ward is into reading "Stereophile" so tell me Ward, do you think cables make a difference ?

Just a friendly question.

Coffee should be done, time to wake up....

• Like 7

• Moderators

I received this news last night....https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/158442-hope-gathering-2016/page-2#entry1913222

Couldn't be happier!  Seems like lots of our members are making plans to attend this year's April gathering in Hope.  If you read through that entire thread you will see we have a great crowd making plans to attend, and it's still eight months out!  Absolutely love that so many will be first time attendees!!!!

I'm thinking we should have a door prize for the member that travels the longest distance to be with us!!!!

Edited by dtel's wife
  • Like 6

I see Ward is into reading "Stereophile" so tell me Ward, do you think cables make a difference ?

First off, let me say up front that I consider myself an audio enthusiast and not an audiophile. While I enjoy the hobby, I don't take it all that seriously. So to answer your question, I will say that it depends. For most people cables will not make an audible difference. For a high resolution system, cables can make a difference, but not all cables. There is no one size fits all. Every system is different with strengths and weaknesses. Not only the gear that is used but maybe even more importantly the room. Also, we all have a preference on how we like our music; some want lots of bass, while others are more into midrange vocals or top end detail. It becomes a matrix of inputs that determine the systems synergy. You could quote specs all day but music for me is an emotional experience and not some sine wave flat from 20 - 20,000 Hz.

So you see it isn't a simple answer of yes. It becomes a much more complicated mix of more questions and answers to determine what is the desired result and how to best to get there. Things like are your amps current hungry and need larger guage wire to feed them. Are your tube amps a little to soft for your speakers and need something to brighten them up. And even then it gets more complicated when changing one thing may affect something else. Think of it like the old time way of balancing the tire on a car. There is a cap that fits the face of the wheel. It has several knobs sticking out of the middle of it. You spin the tire and turn these knobs to determine how much weight and where on the tire it goes. Not a simple task as each change in weight changes where it needs to go. Some turns of the knobs make think worse. Some make it better. Hence the term of dialing it in.

• Like 7

You could quote specs all day but music for me is an emotional experience and not some sine wave flat from 20 - 20,000 Hz.

A while back I found this quote that was attributed to Bob Katz, engineer of the Chesky recordings:

"It is important to realize that ABX tests and psychoacoustic studies and FFT measurements and subjective listening tests are each one-dimensional attempts to describe or analyze our experience of music listening. But music listening is a holistic, multidimensional experience that includes emotions, reactions, and involvement in the music. As scientists, it is important for us to remain cognizant of the fact that we are always looking through a small window on a very complex experience and to remain forever skeptical of our own conclusions and methods and as well as remain open-minded about the conclusions of others."

• Like 9

I knew we would get around to discussing cables....might of taken 520 pages but we are there :D

Don't spend much money on equipment or music for that matter since retiring early.....meaning little discretionary funds.  My cables are run of the mill Best Buy mess.  I do trust Luther's opinion because he is diligent and does his homework.  Add to that his ears are most likely better than mine.  So if there must be a side I'll side with Luther.

There have only been a couple of areas regarding equipment that I have felt pretty sure about.  That the K-400 horn hurt my ears (in my application) leading to listening fatique in short order. The other Tarheelism is that speakers are the component that will make the biggest difference one way or the other.

So that's about all I know about that and of course feel free to disagree.

• Like 6

Morning Gang

100+ today predicted all week.

Left the Cave door open last night w/fan, currently 70 and will close it up soon.

Cave will not get above 86 at the hot part of the day. 86 w/fan i can work with.

Waiting on CL responses as to my bids on Lathes, looked at one yesterday, price was right, 400+Lbs is just a tad too big.

Mr Crow in limbo as to the waiting on "new" part(s) upgrade.

Damn Mark....to bad your so far away......I picked up three mini lathes last year. Some really cool one's. I just sold the last one this year. It was a nice old Atlas with a shitt load of tooling still new in the box. I listed it on CL and it was gone the next day. I almost kept it cuz it was so cool....but I have so much equipment and I really didn't have a use for it.

In the next few weeks I'll be getting a larger South Bend....I think it has a 3' bed on it.....got lots of tooling with that also.

I got all this stuff from a lady who's husband past.....she made me a deal on the lot. I still have stuff I have to get out of her house. I stop over every month or two and pick up a load.

I'll post later about all the old audio gear that's over there.....

MKP :-)

• Like 6

I knew we would get around to discussing cables....might of taken 520 pages but we are there :D

Don't spend much money on equipment or music for that matter since retiring early.....meaning little discretionary funds.  My cables are run of the mill Best Buy mess.  I do trust Luther's opinion because he is diligent and does his homework.  Add to that his ears are most likely better than mine.  So if there must be a side I'll side with Luther.

There have only been a couple of areas regarding equipment that I have felt pretty sure about.  That the K-400 horn hurt my ears (in my application) leading to listening fatique in short order. The other Tarheelism is that speakers are the component that will make the biggest difference one way or the other.

So that's about all I know about that and of course feel free to disagree.

I will lean toward Ward's description and fdj, but of course cannot give them "Likes" because i only give-em-when-i-get-em :lol: 

• Like 8