Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Some people just don't get when you can't see, you really need to slow down. 

And others just don't get that a yellow light doesn't mean "go like hell to beat the red and make a left turn into oncoming traffic."  The other driver was cited, but did not have insurance.

Hit my driver side front fender/hood area and pushed me right into a cement wall /  guardrail at the corner of the bridge just beyond the intersection at about 35 mph.  My engine caught fire and the front fenders were pushed underneath the door skins making it very difficult to exit the car.  Fortunately a few very alert civilian first responders located a fire extinguisher and put out the fire before it became too problematic.

I still seem to be having a type of periodic flash-back to the shock I experienced in the accident, some lower back pain, a general fatigue and some short term memory issues (for some reason I thought this thread was named "Coffee and Cables" not "Cables, Coffee, and Cocktails" and I could not find it for a while  :emotion-41: ). 

I realize that if it wasn't for the front crumple zone built into this car, the air bags and seat belt I wouldn't be here typing this today.  As it was the dash/instrumentation area was pushed back onto my knees.

Camry 2.jpg

What was that?  I don't think it'll buff out.

Glad you're still with us.

We were in an air bag deploying crash when a women drove through a red light while on the phone.  It's an experience I do not recommend.

• Like 8

Happy Tuesday all. Another pretty fall day in our neck of the woods but the weather folks say possible rain/snow mix tomorrow. We'll see. Sticking one's head out the window produces a more accurate forecast much of the time.

We were sick of the usual TV crap last night so we located an old John Wayne movie "Fort Apache." Great old flick. Gonna seek out more of those.

Have a great day.

• Like 7

Happy Tuesday all. Another pretty fall day in our neck of the woods but the weather folks say possible rain/snow mix tomorrow. We'll see. Sticking one's head out the window produces a more accurate forecast much of the time.

We were sick of the usual TV crap last night so we located an old John Wayne movie "Fort Apache." Great old flick. Gonna seek out more of those.

Have a great day.

I grew up with his kids, dad and i moved from the "Wedge" to Lido Isle two doors from Wayne, worked his boat with his son on their mexico runs. trust me iv seen every dam thing he has ever made.

• Like 7

We were in an air bag deploying crash when a women drove through a red light while on the phone.

I've been in 3 accidents with air bag deployment, all 3 vehicles fairly new and totaled.  None my fault.  I've been in 2 other accidents prior to air bags and both of them totaled as well.  I still flinch when I see a car creep into an intersection.

• Like 7

• Moderators
for some reason I thought this thread was named "Coffee and Cables" not "Cables, Coffee, and Cocktails" and I could not find it for a while 

What's up with the name change ? It's not funny to mess with old people. :huh:  

• Like 7

I've ALWAYS used seat belts since the early sixties.  When airbags were first introduced I viewed them as a tax on everyone smart enough to wear seat belts to protect those unwilling to protect themselves.  I feel that way no longer.

FYI, the car in the avatar did not have airbags, but a 5 point harness and roll bar helped to make up for that technological shortcoming.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 5

• Moderators

Our new phone book came today, white and yellow pages together for a total of 88 pages including advertisements.

It's good not to live in the city.

Why do they still do phone books anyway ?

• Like 5

Our new phone book came today, white and yellow pages together for a total of 88 pages including advertisements.

It's good not to live in the city.

Why do they still do phone books anyway ?

The printers can still make money as long as advertisers are willing to pay and I've heard rumor that college kids are using them for furniture.  tworats.gif

_ phonebooks-Mental-Floss.jpg

_ Phone-books-CollegeHumor.jpg

post-36163-0-48480000-1446575040_thumb.j

post-36163-0-15040000-1446575054_thumb.j

Edited by Fjd
  • Like 10

Glad you made it through that Fjd. When was the accident?

I was in a bad one during college days.  Five of us in a Ford wagon hit a tractor trailer making a 3 point turn on a 3 lane road.  No street lights and no moon....like driving along and a wall jumps in front of you.  The guy in what should have been the safest seat (middle of the back seat) and next to me was killed.

What bothers me these days is when I look in the rear view mirror and see someone texting in heavy traffic :o  Just waiting to hear tires squealing.

• Like 7

What was that?  I don't think it'll buff out.

Glad you're still with us.

We were in an air bag deploying crash when a women drove through a red light while on the phone.  It's an experience I do not recommend.

Thanks.  Since I had the appropriate uninsured motorist coverage, my insurance company totaled it out and got me back on the road.  The aspect that I had a hard time wrapping my head around was that I've driven well over one million miles and have seen plenty of situations unfold that I could avoid easily.  This one there was just no place to go. It sure was an experience that I wouldn't wish it on anyone; however, I was pleasantly surprised how many of the civilian first responders remained calm, quickly assessed the situation and prevented something a lot worse.

Glad you made it through that Fjd. When was the accident?

I was in a bad one during college days.  Five of us in a Ford wagon hit a tractor trailer making a 3 point turn on a 3 lane road.  No street lights and no moon....like driving along and a wall jumps in front of you.  The guy in what should have been the safest seat (middle of the back seat) and next to me was killed.

What bothers me these days is when I look in the rear view mirror and see someone texting in heavy traffic :o  Just waiting to hear tires squealing.

Thanks. End of July.  There is one more situation that I encountered the first of October.  It seems that some drivers do not look to see if someone is stopped at a red traffic light before they try to proceed through the light.  I picked up a very mint car for a nice price coming off of a three year lease and about a mile or so from my office, I get rear-ended by an Explorer.  Had I not caught a glimpse in the mirror and let off my brake, it may have been much worse.  Not much damage to his vehicle, but mine is currently at $6,000 in repairs and they still need to assess the frame.  A few friends have said it is time to go buy a lottery ticket since my luck should be turning around any time now. 

Edited by Fjd
  • Like 7