Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Afternoon gang....

1st.... BSM....glad to here your back with us....sounds like all is good... ya know I gotta get my stuff checked out....i'll be 53 this year....so I guess it's time....

Well just checking in....I'm having alittle coffee at the shop this afternoon.....BOSS just made a pot of 1/2 reg and decaf....it is good....

Got a tough job.....need a coffee to help.....taking alittle "brake".....

MKP :-)

post-58704-0-36780000-1453327834_thumb.j

• Like 6

You can get paid more to turn them things than replace them.  Just sayin.

I hear ya.....

The used car guys tell me what fails inspection and the just hand me the parts....

I will machine rotors...but here in the north east the rotors get sooooo much rust in the cooling fins....and plus I can swap em faster than turning em....

I tell ya Carl you should see me do a brake job....I'll glass bead the rotor hat....I want that thing "true" on my lath... I'll also glass bead the caliper/pad bracket....cuz they get so much rust in em the pads will be siezed up....

I don't want to get on my soap box....but I don't have come backs....oh I've "F"ed some shitt up..... I like to make sure when it leaves my shop it coming back for stupid shitt....

• Like 6

Wether I turn em or replace em it's 2 hours in my shop

Ahhh.  Why turn any of them then?  Here it's one to swap and 2 to turn.  Throw out the lathe.

Do you guys turn them on car? Or off car....

The only ones (discs) we turn on car are the one tons.  It's easier that way than pulling the rear axles.

• Like 3

I have a Ammco 4000....got it whe I 1st got the shop going...it was a refurb unit....great lathe....also got all the adapters..... the heavy/high mass one's to stop the rotor chattter on non-vented rotors...I do like machining them....

Also got a old Kwik-way lathe....that was a OEM Honda tool... got mine back at the dealer cuz the shop one was always messed up with 12 other tech using it... No one touched mine....the shop service mang had me look after the shop one....so all my parts for my lathe was free....

That kwik-way in the pic is 23 years old....That's the lathe I should sell I haven't used it in 12+ years...not worth a lot any more....

post-58704-0-80380000-1453332378_thumb.j

post-58704-0-85620000-1453332433_thumb.j

• Like 3

Ahhh.  Why turn any of them then?  Here it's one to swap and 2 to turn.  Throw out the lathe.

FYI - $8 per rotor to get turned / trued here.

I can drop a pair off at O'Reilly's and pick them up about 1 hour later.

• Like 3

We have a couple of Hunter pieces.  They work well and get used a LOT.

Yea man...those Hunter lathe's are NICE.... Hunter builds good equipment... I got Hunter tire machine and balancer...Got em when I opened the shop 17 years ago....really need to up-date but I don't do a lot of tire work.... some of the low profile I just cann't do...

I had the the Hunter repair guy in a few months back to work on the balancer.... he's only been to my shop twice to work on my stuff in 17 years....he always tells me how nice my equipment looks...and if every shop looked after there machines like I do he would be out of a job...lol lol

Hey bathroom looking good my man.....

• Like 3

Ahhh. Why turn any of them then? Here it's one to swap and 2 to turn. Throw out the lathe.

FYI - $8 per rotor to get turned / trued here.

I can drop a pair off at O'Reilly's and pick them up about 1 hour later.

Yea I got a few guys that walk rotors in my shop...if they want them all cleaned up and turned it's $15 cash...now if ya just want them turned it's $10 cash...

Most people don't know you should wash a rotor with hot soapy water after machining it... it gets all of the metal off the rotor.....same thing as honing a cylinder block...ya wash the cylinder out with hot soapy water....

Edited by MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE
  • Like 3