Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

More details about the Fiero V8 please. What motor, transverse, transmission, etc.?

Kits are available, just Google it.

My friends dad threw a hot rod Cadillac 500 Ci In motor in a MG midget, not that was a custom job.

We did many big block Mopar swaps into Diplomats, Dart and Fifth Avenue and even a Gremlin.

V-8 Vega was another popular swap.

• Like 5

• Moderators

Being a specimen tree I don't want to butcher it but it overhangs the walk way.  May do some pruning selectively or wait for winter when there are no leaves.

Looking at the pic just remove a couple small branches that hang the lowest on that side, it won't hurt it at all cut them, just cut back a little further back than needed because they will sprout back quickly. Your pretty tall as long as there way out your way your good.

• Like 4

• Moderators
I would suggest more photos of LF and attendance will be on the upswing again.

It has always worked so far, nice looking couple but strangely pic's of just her seem to be more popular.  :lol:  :P

• Like 4

• Moderators
Gotta keep The BOSS cool

Your on the right track.

Gotta pay for that Carver

Keep it going your doing well, apparently the boss paid attention in girl class, she has done a good job with training, you do know there taught this stuff right ? B)   What else could it be, I have been in training for 37 years and have caught on to only a few things, I'm a slow learner it seems.  :unsure:

• Like 4

At LONG LAST, good evening my friends!   I have not had time to read back through the week's pages but it seems all is under control here  ;)

I am sorry for being so LAME :ph34r: with the photo details from the Las Vegas extravaganza, but they ARE loaded in two places/two computers for use and safe archives...

Between TWO Canon cameras, the combined high res photos and 720 HD the total in the file transfer was 39 GIG !! :wacko: 

There are SO many stories, I just don't know where to begin, but, I will simply post images here and there from this long list of photos...

In short, the show was a TOTAL success and I will also share with you all a letter/report that was sent to us which is amazing stuff and has our heads spinning already  :o  :o !

I will be sure to get that to you all before the weekend is out, so...............wait for it............... ^_^

Enjoy your evening, and stop by RTM later and say hello..........I will be in Music Hall relaxing with some vino and good music with the fellows there sometime after 8pm. eastern...

..........Gary

• Like 7

More details about the Fiero V8 please. What motor, transverse, transmission, etc.?

Most likely a Chevy small block crate motor. Northstar engines were very popular for a while, also. Fiero tranny. Google V-8 Archie for some details. I did a front wheel drive engine into an MGB. Pretty easy except that the water pump had to be electric and remote mounted. S-10 bell housing and clutch mated to a T-5 tranny. The standard MGB rear end was plenty strong enough, but the gearing needed to be reduced to make 1st gear usable. 

• Like 6

Most likely a Chevy small block crate motor. Northstar engines were very popular for a while, also. Fiero tranny. Google V-8 Archie for some details. I did a front wheel drive engine into an MGB. Pretty easy except that the water pump had to be electric and remote mounted. S-10 bell housing and clutch mated to a T-5 tranny. The standard MGB rear end was plenty strong enough, but the gearing needed to be reduced to make 1st gear usable. 

You can put any motor in anything if you have the time, money and patience.

3.1, 3.8, 4.3 small block will fit easily, bigger motors will fit but throw too much weight over the rear wheels.

Fiero's used Chevette parts for front brakes among other things if i recall, go juice is nice but you want to be able to stop as well.

Maybe better than 4 wheel drums with no power assist but not by far, don't cheap out and do it half assed because those Fiero body structures were no stronger than old beer cans.

• Like 5

• Moderators
Think you had a tough work day? Riding up after a hard days work, West Virginia coal mine early 1900s.

And that's just getting back and forth to work, you could imagine how rough the work was, tough people.  

• Like 5

3.1, 3.8, 4.3 small block will fit easily, bigger motors will fit but throw too much weight over the rear wheels.

Fiero's used Chevette parts for front brakes among other things if i recall, go juice is nice but you want to be able to stop as well.

Maybe better than 4 wheel drums with no power assist but not by far, don't cheap out and do it half assed because those Fiero body structures were no stronger than old beer cans.

GM had sorted out all the problems on the suspension in the '88 model, but this is an '86. The suspension  is the first priority over the engine type. It has to handle power, or it is  not worth it. I thought of keeping the original engine and going with a turbo, that option is still not out, but a little harder to do than the V-8 swap. The 60 degree engines are easier to fit!

Edited by Rivervalleymgb
  • Like 4

GM had sorted out all the problems on the suspension in the '88 model, but this is an '86. The suspension  is the first priority over the engine type. It has to handle power, or it is  not worth it. I thought of keeping the original engine and going with a turbo, that option is still not out, but a little harder to do than the V-8 swap. The 60 degree engines are easier to fit!

My choice would be the 3.8, it probably has more performance parts as it was used in the Buick Grand National with a standard turbo, its lighter weight than the V-8 so it will still corner well without huge modifications.

I have been out of racing for some time but i recall some minor engine tweaks the much heavier Buick could easily run 10 second quarter miles.

Edited by jason str
  • Like 3

I have been out of racing for some time but i recall some minor engine tweaks the much heavier Buick could easily run 10 second quarter miles.

Yea baby..... Buick 455 stage 1 motor..... 360 hp and a whopping 510ft lbs of torque at just 2800 rpm :o...... Back in my 20's I had a few old Buicks. Back when I was in the Army you could find me and my buddy working at the on base auto shop. We would work there all weekend till they though us out at closing time. Man those were the days.... getting enough money together for a new cam and the case of cold beer :P

Didn't drink coffee back then.......didn't even know what Klipsch was...... as far as a system. it was in my Buick.... Pioneer KP-500 Supertuner and Jensen Triaxial's... lol lol

MKP :-)

• Like 6

Late start on the DD this morning.  Went to get all kinds of blood tests (just routine) that were done at a local hospital really cheap.  I need to know what my partying capacity is for the Hope trip!  Time to kill some weeds around the homestead and dig up the lines for the pool that I'm rerouting. 

Back in the day I ran a lot of Buicks with the 3.8, including the grand nationals and even had a park avenue with the supercharged version.  That is one fine motor with lots of potential and they could take all kinds of abuse.

• Like 6

• Moderators
Pioneer KP-500 Supertuner

Still use one of those, and they still sell them. :o  The only difference now is they are fancier, they have pre-outs for stereo and a sub, plus inputs for i phones and usb inputs. I use one outside in the bar connected to a little Crown d75 and some Heresy's with a headphone jack input to connect any phone/laptop to play music.

• Like 5

• Moderators
Went to get all kinds of blood tests (just routine) that were done at a local hospital really cheap.  I need to know what my partying capacity is for the Hope trip!

Smart, but i wouldn't go back right after the trip.

Time to kill some weeds around the homestead and dig up the lines for the pool that I'm rerouting. 

About digging in the yard, we have some rain here and will probably be sending it North East in the next few days, don't make a slophole.  :huh:

• Like 3

Good afternoon my friends..........just reading through the posts about the engine swaps etc.

Very good friend of mine got totally into the Grand National thing...   He was very lucky at the time to find one UNaltered in anyway and after talking him into entering in one of our major car shows, took home a  best of class, and right after that, best of show !!!

There were many other GN's there, but they had changed out wheels, and repaint jobs etc.   His needed nothing, totally orginal!

After a while, he became interested in some minor hop up 'enhancements' ...    He did the X-brace, front to back exhaust, 2" swaybars, larger intercooler and some electronics management stuff...

Ended up at the drag track...  Ran the same times as another friend's '93 Supra making 520HP at the wheels!

11.5 sec. 117mph in the quarter on VP 115 fuel...   I forget what the boost was...    A run down the highway with both cars proved the Supra of course had the 'longer legs', the GN became unstable over 130mph...and not safe...

We also have a GN 'repair / upgrade' shops in the area for many years and still going and owned and run by another friend of the group...  (Cotton's Garage).   GN's 'T' types, you name it..

My good friend sold the GN in 2003 as many others in our 'breakfast club' of motorheads did eventually, and still owns his 2004 Mustang Cobra.......13k on the OD. as far as I know...

Ok, that is my auto report.....

Vegas writeup NEXT UP:

• Like 8