Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators

I have to say I had a good time, the whole time is kind of a blur, and no it wasn't  from Carl's great Martini's which was my first drink 2 days in a row. Thank you Carl you made many people happy, it seemed there were martini glasses everywhere with smiling faces. 

Thank you Luther for 75 pounds of REALLY  good sausage, it was one of my most favorite things all weekend, well except for talking with you and everyone else. 

For everyone i didn't talk with, it was my loss and I realize that now and the ones I did talk with thanks, it's really why I go to these things. 

We didn't get home until last night and were tired and it's still not over, there is still some stuff that needs to be done plus the car is unloaded and sitting in a big pile inside.

i still want to see some of the people who couldn't make it this time next year, but after this weekend I doubt Tarheel's Martinis could be better than Carls, I have had a total of 4 in my life and all from Carl. So OK I'm biased.  :P

• Like 5

Good late evening my friends!   Looks like you all had a  great time in Hope with the Klipsch  family!   Besides the wonderful ADULT beverages, did you get to hear some great music from new AND Heritage  Klipsch speakers??

I really want to attend one of these with you all............looking forward to going NEXT year!

Chuck, thanks for the explanation on the roof project.   Really too bad for the poor ventilation.  I have seen this before.  

Here, my home is 1979, and no problems with roof etc.   The chimney however is a different story!   The cement cap at the top has been cracked for a number of years.   Bricks are shedding their faces each winter!!  A pile of brick fronts lay on the garage roof after each winter!   Had an estimate to rebuild last week....................$3500 !!!!!!!!!!    

The driveway and sidewalks also need to be replaced................ :wacko:   Ahhhhh, home ownership!, but we do what we can do... ;)

Have a good evening my friends................off to bed now.......

.................Gary      -_-

Edited by Tigerman
  • Like 5

• Moderators
Anyone step on the scales yet

Yes I did and I lost 3 pounds, I have no idea how, the only thing i can figure is I rarely fixed a plate, just walked around sampling ?

• Like 4

• Moderators

Who would of thought after 4 days of living large in audio never never land that coming back to the real world and work would be such a let down.

That's funny but you know your "living the dream" .

Anyway we wouldn't last long at that pace.

• Like 3

• Moderators

All thanks to not being able to get your speakers finished in alligator skin.  Don't fear, I am pushing for what is right.

Should have said something, we could hooked you up with alligators, the rest would be on you, about all I would do it get the meat out the tail for you,just because i'm nice. :)  

• Like 4

The chimney however is a different story!   The cement cap at the top has been cracked for a number of years.   Bricks are shedding their faces each winter!!  A pile of brick fronts lay on the garage roof after each winter!   Had an estimate to rebuild last week....................$3500 !!!!!!!!!!       The driveway and sidewalks also need to be replaced................   Ahhhhh, home ownership!, but we do what we can do...  

Sounds like my house :wacko: 

MKP :-) 

• Like 2

• Moderators

Just dropping by to say good morning! Thank you to all who attended the Pilgrimage. I still have some work to do, like shipping Tshirts and goodies to those who registered but weren't able to attend. Hoping to wrap all of the orders and shipping up in the next ten to fourteen days.

We are already in the early planning stages for next year!!! To those of you that didn't make it...we fully expect to see you there next year!

• Like 3

Mornin' folks. Sounds like the Hope travelers are settled back in. For my part, I'm still carrying out Better Half Unit's planting, etc., vision  for our gardens and lending support to the profitability of ibuprofen manufacturers. I haven't been this up close and personal with plants and shovels in years.

Gary ... sorry about the chimney and concrete stuff. In my first house, we had a chimney that was a real mess but a really good tuck-pointing job and a new chimney cap did the trick.  Are you sure you need a complete re-build?

Have a good day all. Will try to check back.

• Like 2

Chuck, what type ventilation did she end up getting?

The standard here is soffit vent for intake and ridge vents for exhausting the hot air.  A balanced system is desirable according to current thinking.  Some folks close off the gable vents when taking this approach.  We are adding a thermostatically controlled power vent that only comes on under very hot conditions.

Something else that has changed over the years is crawlspace ventilation.  A sealed crawlspace is actually better suited for controlling moisture in the crawl space in our climate.  It's a code issue that is being reviewed.   

• Like 3

A balanced system is desirable according to current thinking.

Correct.  You need the proper amount of soffit intake area to feed the ridge vents.  Normally if you use a powered vent, ridge vents aren't needed.  Using a powered vent and ridge vents together can actually suck rain in through the ridge vents as well.  It's odd that they're using both on a brand new install.

• Like 1

Chuck, what type ventilation did she end up getting?

The standard here is soffit vent for intake and ridge vents for exhausting the hot air.  A balanced system is desirable according to current thinking.  Some folks close off the gable vents when taking this approach.  We are adding a thermostatically controlled power vent that only comes on under very hot conditions.

Something else that has changed over the years is crawlspace ventilation.  A sealed crawlspace is actually better suited for controlling moisture in the crawl space in our climate.  It's a code issue that is being reviewed.   

Good move with the power vent in the attic, that might even make your AC work better on the hot days.

A sealed crawlspace in this area is becoming more popular also. I think the key is to make absolutely sure it's completely water tight. I still like the old fashioned method of venting the crawl. Naturally formed gases like Radon can collect in a sealed space, then the only place it can go is up.

• Like 1

Good late evening my friends!   Looks like you all had a  great time in Hope with the Klipsch  family!   Besides the wonderful ADULT beverages, did you get to hear some great music from new AND Heritage  Klipsch speakers??

I really want to attend one of these with you all............looking forward to going NEXT year!

Chuck, thanks for the explanation on the roof project.   Really too bad for the poor ventilation.  I have seen this before.  

Here, my home is 1979, and no problems with roof etc.   The chimney however is a different story!   The cement cap at the top has been cracked for a number of years.   Bricks are shedding their faces each winter!!  A pile of brick fronts lay on the garage roof after each winter!   Had an estimate to rebuild last week....................$3500 !!!!!!!!!!    

The driveway and sidewalks also need to be replaced................ :wacko:   Ahhhhh, home ownership!, but we do what we can do... ;)

Have a good evening my friends................off to bed now.......

.................Gary      -_-

Gary, Sorry to hear about your home problems, your climate is a huge factor in the decaying process. 

Flue problems are rampant here also, and there aren't enough masonry contractors to handle all the work. The contractors that are around all like to price gouge the homeowners. The bad part is all contractors look bad because of the bad ones.

You might try to get another estimate.

Around here, a $3500 masonry bill will replace about 10-15 feet of a standard masonry flue.

• Like 2

When I switched form gable vents with powered fan (which never lasted very long) to a ridge vent I noticed a huge difference in comfort and electric bills.

No wonder.  Gable vents and a powered vent together make no sense whatsoever.

A balanced system is desirable according to current thinking.

Correct.  You need the proper amount of soffit intake area to feed the ridge vents.  Normally if you use a powered vent, ridge vents aren't needed.  Using a powered vent and ridge vents together can actually suck rain in through the ridge vents as well.  It's odd that they're using both on a brand new install.

When I built my house back in 2010 I did a lot of research on attic assemblies. I finally went with a completely sealed attic. Spray foam insulation was applied to the underside of the roof and all gable ends. There are NO unsealed penetrations into the attic from the outside and no insulation between the attic floor and the ceilings in the living space. I had major fights with building officials in the county and finally had to have the manufacturers rep for the spray foam meet with the building officials. They finally saw the light and allowed this unconventional construction method. The fire officials love the fact that there are no penetrations(I live in high wildfire area). But what I like is when it is 110 degrees outside and 75 degrees inside the attic is only 85 to 90 degrees. Other attics in the area would be 130 degrees + on a 110 degree day.

• Like 2