Any Steely Dan Fans?

willland

I have always enjoyed the music of Steely Dan.... It is amazing how many folks haven't looked up the origin of the bands name....

Always funny when a woman explains how much she loves Steely Dan...

They reformatter this site and the design is crappy, but still interesting. Steely Dan Dictionary:

http://www.steelydandictionary.com/

BTW - I also think it is funny when a woman says "I bent over backwards for him"...

Steely Dan is one of those bands where you can put any album on and just let it play and enjoy everything. No duds.

Couldn't agree with you more on that and there are very few albums from any artist that I can say that about, but, I have some little feet and some Dave Matthews........................getting off track again.

I really like Steely Dan. I agree that Aja or Gaucho are great for showing off the system. I have all of their studio albums.

Add Donald Fagen's "the Nightfly" to that list. Being the first guy in Michigan to own a CD player (back then it was Sony or nothing), I had that recording on LP before the CD was available (and there were very few CD's available then). It is still a benchmark of excellence in recording today and the music is good. My favorite cut is "the Goodbye Look."

Great dynamics, micro detail, and not too bassy. CD's got a bad rap back then because, being flat from 4 Hz. to 20 Khz. they revealed bad recordings more so than the crappy recycled vinyl did at the time and got the blame for it.

Still to this day, only classical recordings take full advantange of the extra 30 db of dynamic range afforded by the CD or even the extra 60 DB one can get from uncompressed Blue Ray Audio formats. Shameful, really.

Let's hear it from crappy compressed 128 Kilobit MP3's........................PRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT(rasberries galore)

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 1

Just got the Aja CD from Amazon(1999 remaster) today and loaded it within 5 minutes of pulling the package out of the mailbox. It is clearly better than the Amazon Cloud Player MP3(LAME) download. No doubt more dynamic and detailed. That is saying a lot considering the MP3 is pretty good.

In this package from Amazon also came a BD copy of the Eagles "Farewell I Tour Live From Melbourne" and Peter Gabriel "Secret World Live" BD. I have the DVD version of Secret World and audio quality is pretty darn good with it's DTS version but the video is lousy and very grainy. I am expecting a marginal improvement in audio but video wise, it should be a very noticeable improvement.

Bill

Edited by willland

Love the Dan. From early songs like Rose Darling(check out the background vocals from Michael McDonald) to

the later album "Two Against Nature". Great production is the standard. Naked Lunch author William Burroughs

died recently from which the group took their name from a certain device in this novel.

Just got the Aja CD from Amazon(1999 remaster) today and loaded it within 5 minutes of pulling the package out of the mailbox. It is clearly better than the Amazon Cloud Player MP3(LAME) download. No doubt more dynamic and detailed. That is saying a lot considering the MP3 is pretty good.

In this package from Amazon also came a BD copy of the Eagles "Farewell I Tour Live From Melbourne" and Peter Gabriel "Secret World Live" BD. I have the DVD version of Secret World and audio quality is pretty darn good with it's DTS version but the video is lousy and very grainy. I am expecting a marginal improvement in audio but video wise, it should be a very noticeable improvement.

Bill

I'd be interested to hear about the comparison of the BD with the DVD version of Secret World. I can tell you that the mix sounds completely different between the DVD and the audio CD.

Peter Gabriel "Secret World Live" BD. I have the DVD version of Secret World and audio quality is pretty darn good with it's DTS version but the video is lousy and very grainy. I am expecting a marginal improvement in audio but video wise, it should be a very noticeable improvement.

Bill

I have come to really appreciate what Becker and Fagen can do. The arrangements are incredible, the recordings should be the templates on how to record, and need I mention dynamic range. These guys will never be accused of scaling down for the digital era.

I picked up a "Two Against Nature" CD about two months ago and just ordered the "Aja" CD from Amazon for $4.99 which came with an MP3 download from Amazon Cloud Player. If the Aja CD is at least as good as the MP3 download, then I know I am in for a treat. I converted the MP3 with dBpoweramp(free trial) to LAME MP3 at 320kbs. I compared it to an also converted WAV copy and could not tell the difference. When the CD arrives, I will rip it also in WAV and LAME MP3 and A-B them.

Steely Dan's music has become my go to demo music to show off and test my gear, in 2-channel and multichannel.

Bill

I got the Cisco 180 gram vinyl version of Aja a few years back after rave reviews on a thread here somewhere...

It is very good. I've listened to it or at least parts of it on CP1's Jubilee rig a few tracks and a side. Michael queued up standard issue CD in his Aha CD player with the LP on his turntable (forget the model and cartridge).

Said it was no contast on a track with lots of cymbal. Both sounded great to me and switching back to the CD I about jumped out of my skin due to level mismatches.

Michael could tell, on the LP version, that the drum sticks were nylon tipped, not sure on the CD version. I think I could hear a difference but not sure what I was hearing. As far as we could tell no remastering for the LP other than I'm sure cutting a new lacquer.

In any case, excellent album. I'll need to get over there and see if we can get a level matched comparison.

Dire Straits "Brothers In Arms" CD is also very good for a CD. Many live sound engineers, Michael included, use it to check the sound of their rigs. The remastered CD is even better I'm told. Never really compared.