Sansui compared to tube amps

Hello all, just have a question in regards to vintage Sansui receivers compared to tube amp sound. I am always reading how Sansui has that 'tube sound' so was wondering how 'far away' Sansui is from actual tube gear, sound wise. I have never heard a tube amp or anything tube for that matter but I do like the Sansui sound. Thanks

I will soon have a NOSValves rebuilt Scott 299a to compare to a Scott Thompson rebuilt Sansui AU 719 which I have been listening to with Belles (homebuilt ALK Universals) and Forte II (kit built ALK networks with BC Ti tweets). I will let you know what I think. That is from the point of view of an old eared Klipschaholic not an audiophile.

I heard a vintage Sansui on some KLF 20's. The guy also had tube gear. I did not know until the next day that the sound I was razing over was a SS amp until I was talking with the guy the next day. I thought it was the tube amp driving KLF 20's. That sound still sticks in my memory 1 1/2 years later. I don't directly know how a side by side comparison would go but, I think if I or someone else owned the Sansui and those KLF 20's, we would not trade them. He also had some KLF 30's that sounded incredible on another Sansui. He sold me the RF 7's.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

I seem to recall reading in the forum (don't remember how long ago) that some models and production years for Sansui produced the best amps with the kind of sound some of you are describing. Anyone know which ones and what they are going for?

I heard a vintage Sansui on some KLF 20's. The guy also had tube gear. I did not know until the next day that the sound I was razing over was a SS amp until I was talking with the guy the next day. I thought it was the tube amp driving KLF 20's. That sound still sticks in my memory 1 1/2 years later. I don't directly know how a side by side comparison would go but, I think if I or someone else owned the Sansui and those KLF 20's, we would not trade them. He also had some KLF 30's that sounded incredible on another Sansui. He sold me the RF 7's.

I went tubes and now am all SS. Either, if doen very well will sound great. I have heard tubes that sound too "solid state" and solid state that sounds "like tubes."

If anyone wants a great integrated amp with phono on the cheap, check this out:

Musical Fidelity A3.2:

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-musical-fidelity-a3-2-integrated-amplifier-2014-03-04-integrateds-06511-new-haven-ct

Stereophile tested this amp and it also produced more power than rated. Should work great with Klipsch.

I have the A308 and it is very "tubelike."

Interesting mix.Thanks for the feed-back.I like my Sansui sound just wondering if I'm really 'missing' all that much for the diff in cost. Would like to hear some tubes but the cost is a factor. Thanks.

Sometimes if people know where you are located you might get an invite to listen. This does happen from time to time here.

John

I went tubes and now am all SS. Either, if doen very well will sound great. I have heard tubes that sound too "solid state" and solid state that sounds "like tubes."

I had a Sophia Electric Baby that sounded very SS like, and have always found vintage Yamaha to have a warm tube-like sound.

Last year I purchased a pair of Forte II’s and had my old Sansui receiver (3900z, 40watt ca. 1981) to use with it in my study. I know the 3900z is not rated highly by anyone but I’ve owned it for over 32 years and thought I’d give it a try with the Fortes. I am just amazed at the life-like performance. For comparison, I connected the Fortes to a Musical Fidelity A2 amplifier and there are times I would choose the Sansui over it. I still want to try a tube amplifier some day; however, I don’t feel in a hurry to do so since I am enjoying what I have.

In my experience, i have two set-ups of k-horns one driven with adcom one with sansui and i will listen to the sansui any day over the adcom. The adcom is much 'brighter'. Speakers are same vintage and exact components/upgrades. Thats why I'm wondering if the tube experience will be that drastic of a difference.

In my experience, i have two set-ups of k-horns one driven with adcom one with sansui and i will listen to the sansui any day over the adcom. The adcom is much 'brighter'. Speakers are same vintage and exact components/upgrades. Thats why I'm wondering if the tube experience will be that drastic of a difference.

You are dead on with your findings between them both ! I have had ALOT of 70's vintage receivers. I have chosen Sansui as my favorite and became a collecter of the years I like best. Everything in the house is now tubes except my office where I use a Sansui 8080db and a pair of Chorus II and will not change that for anything !