Youthman's Snowboarding Jump Gone Wrong

Youthman

• Moderators

My wife and I just returned from a Snowboarding trip to Smuggler's Notch, VT. On the 5th day, I headed to the Terrain Park to hit a few ramps. First three jumps were pretty exhilarating and on my 4th jump, I way overshot the landing, thus didn't turn out so well. A ride in an ambulance but thankfully, all checked out fine. God heard my prayer before the first jump. My helmet was destroyed but my brains were spared. :D

Here is the first two jumps

Here is the second two jumps that landed me in the hospital

stretcher.jpg

cracked-helmet.jpg

• Moderators

Thanks Carl. You are correct, the last thing I remember was hitting the ramp and realizing this isn't going to end well. LOL The next thing I remember was my eyes opening up and seeing three Ski Patrol guys kneeling over me. As he was asking me questions and checking the extent of my injuries, he said, "The code word is Zebra". A few minutes later he asked me what the code word was and I could not remember it. Gradually, I began to regain my short term memory. CAT scan showed no damage. Just very sore neck. I'll have to make a slow mo video of the actual crash.

Looking back at the footage, you can hear two guys ski next to me and ask several times if I was ok. Not sure if I was totally unconscious at that moment. Later one of the guys says I was groggy when he arrived.

Michael.

It looks like you were out at least 6 minutes.

List of people who have had severe head injuries on the slopes that were fatal or near fatal:

Sonny Bono

Michael Kennedy

Natasha Richardson

Michael Schumacher

Michael Stevens

You are a very lucky and blessed man. Glad to be able to cross you off the list my friend.

Bill

Good thing you were wearing a helmet, brain splatter is not a good thing.

Glad you came out unharmed.

Wish my son would wear a helmet while skateboarding, dam kid never listens to me. Lots of U-Tube videos under Jeff Stromberg if anybody's interested.

• Moderators
Think I just got too excited

That's a bad thing, also when you know you only have a couple more runs left, you tend to get brave, never again for me.

Glad your Ok, we will decide on any permanent brain damage over the next few months. If you start replacing everything with little cubes you will need an intervention.

Bet the wife was upset, mine would be upset and wanting to kill me at the same time.