Best balance, CW iii or Heresy iii ?

I know the CW iii uses the same high/mid drivers as the Heresy iii, which doesn't seem right to me that they did this. So are the highs/mids too much for the Heresy or not enough for the CW's? It seems that the huge difference in cabinet sizes that this cant be right for one of them. Thanks for any input....

The Cornwall could use a larger squawker horn, or at least that's the consensus that I've read.
Right, a comment similar to the first post in this thread.

The subject was discussed in more detail, at least with more opinion, in this thread in the past few days: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/149994-herseyscornwallsfortes/

I spent some time with these a while back at Simply Stereo and thought the Cornwall III was much better than the Heresy III's.

Not only was the Cornwall more efficient, the bass & midbass were leaps and bounds better than the Heresy both in depth & fullness.

The midrange had more bite too, probably the lower crossover point.

The Heresy III is a great speaker but it doesn't stack up against the Cornwall's, keep in mind there is a much higher price on the Corn's.

this thread is an excellent example of why you need to hear them for yourself too...as I have heard both speakers many times myself at Simply Stereo where jason str has and came away with the opposite reaction...to me the Heresy III is perfect and the Cornwall sounds out of balance by comparison...both are still nice speakers but I don't hear the price difference (although there IS a difference)...YMMV

Bill

I own Heresy, Heresy II and Cornwall III (but not Heresy III). Neither pair of Heresys have seen the light of day since I got the CW III. There are compromises in every speaker (and Heresy is a fine speaker) but the CW III is my choice. Don't believe that would change if I heard the Heresy III since it is still lacking on the low end. I do agree that the CW could be improved in the midrange, but my eventual solution to that will probably be Cornscala, not Heresy. Just my opinion .... cheers to all.

• 3 weeks later...
Klipsch lost the mold for k401.

I believe that would be the mold for the K-600, hence falling back on the K-701. I don't know if this was widely believed, was was very surprised to learn of the existence of a current K-601. Maybe they just wanted to save bucks by using the same top for the Corns and Heresy. Whatever.

Edited by LarryC

Klipsch lost the mold for k401.

I believe that wold be the mold for the K-600, hence falling back on the K-701. I don't know if this was widely believed, was was very surprised to learn of the existence of a current K-601. Maybe they just wanted to save bucks by using the same top for the Corns and Heresy. Whatever: Yuk!

Gary Gillum, Klipsch's retired Chief Enigneer and father of the "KG-X.X" line of speakers (as well as the MWM woofer, still in production) agrees with you.

• Moderators

I think someone said a few years ago that Klipsch lost the mold for k401. That's why they put the k700/701 in the CW.

IMO..........

Well even if that is true they never lost the mold for the 510 horn. :o

I have the Cornwalls lll's but no other Cornwall's to try it against so I can't say.

I will say they do sound very good to us and compared to many other speakers out there still come out on top. Compared to other Klipsch I don't know I never compared them to our Heresy 1 or 2 version, no 3rd version here to try. I never felt a reason to compare them to the Heresy's, I would think from hearing them in different places here the Cornwalls would sound better, and I am not comparing them to the mwm/402, no use in doing that, it would be silly.

Cornwall 1 and 2 compared to the 3rd version is a fair test and would be interesting.

I think when they made the Clll version they were trying to not go to far from the original version and if they used something like the 510 or something else, it would not be a Cornwall if the design changed that much.

Looking at some of the commercial versions there using much bigger midrange horns, many don't even require a tweeter, and they sound amazing, THESE are some of the designs that need to make it into home models. There are designs that are no bigger than a forte or Chorus that are amazing.

So to finally answer the question I would say the Cornwall lll is better balanced, It may have a little less mids than the former models but not midrange shy at all, and not bass shy in any way.

Just another opinion

Edited by dtel

• Moderators
I say you flip a coin or go hear them for yourself if you're going to purchase a set.

Great advice, even considering they share the same mid and tweet the do not sound the same to me, and considering the size and price difference is large.

• Like 1

I say you flip a coin or go hear them for yourself if you're going to purchase a set.

Great advice, even considering they share the same mid and tweet the do not sound the same to me, and considering the size and price difference is large.

Many times i hear people say the sound the same, the Corns just have more bass. My guess is they never heard them together or at all.

If you are anywhere near Calgary Alberta Canada let me know and you can come by an listen to what a pair of very modified H3 can actually do. Those who know Klipsch and hear them are most often very confused and will ask me to turn off the stereo subs then I show them that they are not even plugged in to the wall much less the system. Up on 22 inch high custom four post stands they do much more than punch above their weight. These are unlike any other Heresy in terms of their modifications and there are only two pair in existence. A lot of work to do but very much worth it. I will be happy to sell you a pair or tell you how to do most of the mods if you want to try your hand at it yourself. You mentioned that you did not have available vertical space and that is too bad. Speakers which are tilted up or down screw up the stage and image in my opinion. The mid driver should be centred at your seated ear level for best performance.

You are welcome to pay a visit for a listen if you can make it here. Best regards Moray James

• Moderators
The mid driver should be centred at your seated ear level for best performance.

Could and very may be why I don't think they sound the same ? And I really do like the Heresy lll, for a long time I really wanted some after hearing them.