Worst cut?

oscarsear

Well this is sorta dumb - but, what the heck. Being in medical stuff I hang out with similar souls. Last night the topic of our inebriated conversation turned to lacerations/cuts. Needless to say there were some horrific true stories shared. Then it came to the 'worst cut' we had personally experienced: That is the purpose of this thread. What is the worst cut you have experienced?

Me.......?? Long ago, the morning after a dinner party, as I looked in the freezer I found it nearly packed with frost - very odd and unusual I did think. Clumsily, stupidly I began to examine the stuff. Twas then that I noticed a not so bad sharp pain on the top of 2 probing fingers. Pulled them back and saw a white line spiraling across the top of the 2 digits, both of which immediately started to hemorrhage really quite severely. Turned out that the then dear spouse had put a bottle of champagne in said freezer for a quick cool down - and had forgotten about it. Eventually it exploded - filling the freezer with the frost load. The bottle had burst lengthwise leaving a double edged wedge of sharp glass hidden amongst those crystals. That is where my hand had ventured - down into that wedge and into to the razor sharp glass. I still have those scars. I was lucky to not have cut tendon. But I had sheared into the fingers opening up a skin flap about 1/4 in deep by however long. By the time the bleeding was staunched the kitchen looked like Manson had visited. Not enough skin there to suture. Tried gluing it. Nope. It did not hurt so much when the trauma took place - the glass was ungodly sharp and my hand was numb from the cold. But healing was loads of fun.

Not exactly a cut, but this is my worst "I think I need stitches".

I went to adopt a bulldog and he turned out to be quite large. Around 80lbs. We spent a couple of hours acclimating to one another and I felt comfortable enough to take him home. He jumped into my little Nissan frontier pickup and got wedged in the floorboard. He was excited to be going on a trip, still new to me, and now a little frantic about being stuck... Without thinking I bent over him to help lift onto the bench seat. I guess that action was too much for him and he turned and snapped at me, which happened to be my head just a few inches away. He showed no other signs of aggression after that initial snap - it was just a freak accident.

The owner rushed me to the ER, stayed the entire time I was there, and paid my ER copay. Insurance covered the rest and aside from a mildly noticeable scar on my nose, there was no long term damage. It wasn't a bite so much as his massive head and open mouth colliding with my face. Unfortunately, I think he decided to have the dog destroyed - I was adopting it because he had just finished air traffic control school and felt bad that he wasn't spending enough time with him.

We bought a bully pup after that, the runt, and he's a wonderful asset to our family. But he's small enough that I can pick up and throw him if ever necessary.

post-34066-0-20600000-1401028728_thumb.j

1. at 18 years old stabbed an oak cabinet out of anger :angry: , hand slid down the blade of old hickory butcher knife took 17 stitches on 3 fingers, (damn near lost the tip of my middle finger) lesson always keep thumb over the end of the hilt when stabbing.

2. fell on an open tool box when a board finally gave unexpectedly I fell backwards and turned to catch myself caught the open flat end of the box putting a very deep cut in the meaty part below my thumb approx 3 inches long just laying open barely bled nasty yellow and white looking :emotion-41: , cleaned it out with perox and alcohol, made butterflies outta tape pulled it together taped it and went back to work (not a bad looking scar actually)

3. rebuilding an engine and wanted to delete the emissions told dad i was buying 8 brass plugs and block the holes, he says ah hell with that just cut the pipes and pound them closed with a hammer (Ok DAD) now I have 8 basically razors sticking out about 2" above the exhaust ports, spinning the motor over on the stand to pull the crank. Thats right you guessed it the newly formed razor caught my ring finger and cut to the bone. same as above cleaned pulled together with tape went straight to the hardware store and bought 8 brass plugs. (rarely listen to my dads little money saving tips now)

I could of course go on but these 3 stand out in memory of adult ignorance on my part that ended with injury :huh:

I punched some knuckleheads mirror off his car as he went by one evening when he was speeding through a local parking lot and nearly took my wife, her niece and myself out. I just didn't connect with the mirror squarely so it sliced the meat between my pinky and ring finger wide open.

I went home and used sewing thread and needle and gave myself about 7-8 stitches... with my left hand no less.

Edited by Schu

I punched some knuckleheads mirror off his car as he went by one evening when he was speeding through a local parking lot and nearly took my wife, her niece and myself out. I just didn't connect with the mirror squarely so it sliced the meat between my pinky and ring finger wide open.

I went home and used sewing thread and needle and gave myself about 7-8 stitches... with my left hand no less.

Damn Schu......stitches with the left hand with a sewing needle :emotion-41: .......you da man for sure.

Not exactly a cut, but this is my worst "I think I need stitches".

I went to adopt a bulldog and he turned out to be quite large. Around 80lbs. We spent a couple of hours acclimating to one another and I felt comfortable enough to take him home. He jumped into my little Nissan frontier pickup and got wedged in the floorboard. He was excited to be going on a trip, still new to me, and now a little frantic about being stuck... Without thinking I bent over him to help lift onto the bench seat. I guess that action was too much for him and he turned and snapped at me, which happened to be my head just a few inches away. He showed no other signs of aggression after that initial snap - it was just a freak accident.

The owner rushed me to the ER, stayed the entire time I was there, and paid my ER copay. Insurance covered the rest and aside from a mildly noticeable scar on my nose, there was no long term damage. It wasn't a bite so much as his massive head and open mouth colliding with my face. Unfortunately, I think he decided to have the dog destroyed - I was adopting it because he had just finished air traffic control school and felt bad that he wasn't spending enough time with him.

We bought a bully pup after that, the runt, and he's a wonderful asset to our family. But he's small enough that I can pick up and throw him if ever necessary.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

You look like Jack Nicleson in Chinatown.

• Like 1

DSC_0001_zps7c29d4a3.jpg

This is what I am dealing with right now. I had a cut off wheel on a 4 1/2" angle grinder kick back on me. It cut just into the bone. The hand surgeon reattached a nerve and an artery. He could not believe the tendon was not severed. The line strait up the finger is the surgeons work the cut across at the base of the digit is mine. I can't feel any thing in the finger now I hope it comes back. I make my living with my hands, I am worried.

After a movie premiere, the after-party had mexican food catered. i was talking with one of the actresses and i experienced my worst cut ever. it didn't hurt so much; but, the smell was something for another thread.

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 1

Cuts are no fun, well anything that hurts is no fun. At least these days most nasty cuts will heal up with proper management. T'was not too long ago that a little cut could easily present an innocuous source for a deadly ()and I do mean deadly) infection. Burns take the pain prize IMHO. They take the scarring prize too. Be careful out there.

• Moderators

Not exactly a cut, but I stepped on a very long rusty nail sticking up from a board while weed-whacking. Went clear through my shoe and pretty far through my foot. That was not a good day.

Not exactly a cut, but I stepped on a very long rusty nail sticking up from a board while weed-whacking. Went clear through my shoe and pretty far through my foot. That was not a good day.

That is a nightmare! I have never seen it happen and do believe you although have had to wonder with others with similar stories...thats quite frightening!

I stayed away from this thread til lunch was digested. I can feel the pain all over the forum from this very thread. I was about 8 and my sister was i figure about 12...she was climbing in her closet to get to the top shelf for something...anyhow those hooks you hang on the insides of closets she fell back on one....I just remember ems and squad going wild...No blood whatsover although the hook ripped down one butt cheek from top to bottom, and yeah no blood...over 200 stitches no blood...Im outta here...im a bit squeemish unless I have to put my manface on. And iv ran the wrecker even back in the days as a little kid when there was no ems...dad ran the 1st jaws of life...quite sad to be honest...he had seen 6 people jammed under dashes all dead hitting poles going way, way to fast...

I have too helped people with no arm to hardly a face in tact...dad literally looked many people in the eye as they took their last breath as i figure many service men have as well. Horrible situations.

I cant count my stitches from head to toe had my share when i was a kid...

Blessings to all...im outta here! :unsure2:

I gotta mention my buddy i use to work with...makes me squirm to this day. My girlfriend at the time was a nurse at the hospital(she detailed it and i couldnt listen to much, maybe writing this down will help me forget) and there was a motorcycle crash just outside of town. He legs were ripped apart(he was split basically in half to a point) and his wallet was blood soaked...they had to pull it out to identify him...makes me squirm to this day

Full credit for a puncture wound. Since you're still among the living I'll assume you were administered a tetanus vaccination. Actually they can medically treat tetanus. But if you're old or very young or immunocompromised or heavily infected at the wound - it may still get ya. Ugly business.

every 7 years of my life iv had that shot....my family is also in the medical field

the tetanus business sounds bad..although iv never came across anybody with it though kinda like its an ancient situation

My horror story begins with my attempt to fix a garage door.

the wrench i was holding released the spring and the wrench

was sent into my arm opening it up within a couple of

mm's away from an artery. When the emergency folks arrived they

looked and told me they were impressed. It was like that Terminator

movie scene where Arnold, to show that he was a cyborg, cuts the

skin away from his arm to reveal the metal substructure. Mine

was bone.