The next generation could not care less about our hobby.

Funny thing is, to us 30 year-olds, you 50 year olds have to realize that we are the so-called "ipod / iphone" generation. Me, Tas, Thad, Turbox....and we're the old farts now. Fathers. Out of the loop per say. Yet, against all odds, here we are with exotic systems and a healthy interest in audio.

The idea of a smartphone is 14 years old. It's not new. It's not state of the art. They aren't hip. They are an integrated technology like a wristwatch...as benign as a dial telephone hanging on the wall in the 70's or electronic fuel injection in a milenium-era vehicle.

I do not at this point have the sound im looking for quite dialed in, close, but No Cigar, another couple weeks, horns are on order.

Now however, as far as OMINIUS goes, anyone entering the cave has pretty much the same response, WTF?

My reply is simply, what is your favorite tune ? Sold another youngin into the world of Audio.

Funny thing is, to us 30 year-olds, you 50 year olds have to realize that we are the so-called "ipod / iphone" generation. Me, Tas, Thad, Turbox....and we're the old farts now. Fathers. Out of the loop per say. Yet, against all odds, here we are with exotic systems and a healthy interest in audio.

The idea of a smartphone is 14 years old. It's not new. It's not state of the art. They aren't hip. They are an integrated technology like a wristwatch...as benign as a dial telephone hanging on the wall in the 70's or electronic fuel injection in a milenium-era vehicle.

aaron-paul-breaking-bad-yeah-bitch-marri

• Like 2

Actually I think the new generation has its own High End Audio/Video following... It's just that there are so many more people now that the numbers are not as great of a ratio any more.

• Like 1

I look at it this way. HT has increased speakers sales by 5 times. Instead of just a "pair" of speakers, it's 7+ subs. So HT in any form is modern HiFi. The walkman has been around for decades. I made an adapter for Koss headphones on my paper route when I was 14 years old.

Curious engineering types will eventually get into stereo when they can afford it. Mine was in my car too, 6x9's in doors and BR boxes at 17. Eventually KG-4's in boxes. They will come around eventually. More choices. They will put the sound wherever they can get laid.

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 1

Curious engineering types will eventually get into stereo when they can afford it. Mine was in my car too, 6x9's in doors and BR boxes at 17. Eventually KG-4's in boxes. They will come around eventually. More choices. They will put the sound wherever they can get laid.

That's a good point, sometimes it just takes having the bank roll to dabble in something, and that my friends takes time to develop. I was all ways kind of into home audio as a young lad, spent my paper route money on my Pioneer system. I drifted away as I became an adult do to lack of funds. Once I gathered some cash I was back in it, it just took some time.

• Like 1

I disagree with generalizing all kids of this generation. There are many thrift stores and antique stores around central Arkansas that are carrying more vintage consoles, turntables and hifi gear because kids are into it. I used to get pretty good deals but because it is "cool" the prices have started going up. This started with the vinyl revolution that is going on but they all want something cool to play their records on and not that POS at Target.

I agree. I live in central Arkansas too. Last time I was in Hastings there were college kids male and female looking through all the vinly new and used for sale. They were buying too. Both my sons (25 and 19 almost 20) are buying new vinly records and building their collections although neither has a turntable yet. Neither do I but I'm looking. BTW, vinly sales were up 37% nationally in 2013.

Yup while CD sales are dropping like a rock and has for sometime Vinyl keeps rising...

I truly think for the most part serious audio is a mature hobby...after all its expensive to acquire a truly high end system. It also takes lots of time and patience to master all the aspects. Young folk in general in this day and age are running at blazing speeds with all the gadgets and the basic demand of life. As they mature and life becomes more manageable I think you will find high end audio will never die... They love music just like any other generation sooner or later they will want to hear it to its fullest qualities...

• Like 1

I think we are going to have a technology rebellion... I know a lot of people who are feeling too stressed with all the gadgets they use and are told they need to survive in today's world. They want to cut back. Really, so many gadgets are solutions that are looking for a problem.

On another note, both of my grown sons really like high end audio. Of course, one is on here every once in awhile (Invidiosulus), and the other is a musician who just enjoys great music.

Bruce

. Young folk in general in this day and age are running at blazing speeds with all the gadgets and the basic demand of life. As they mature and life becomes more manageable I think you will find high end audio will never die... They love music just like any other generation sooner or later they will want to hear it to its fullest qualities...

I agree with this, as I am always on the go and yes gadgets keep me listening to music which is what I love most. When I have time like right now, I enjoy my hi fi system.

I've been pondering this throughout the day. Which hobby are we talking about? ...dedicated music listening (as opposed to multitasking)? music appreciation (all genres and time periods)? audio theory (music, engineering)? gear churn? the art of gear synergy? vinyl? CD? File based?

As mentioned earlier, a lot of you guys had the pleasure of growing up and maturing in parallel with the hobby. That's hugely intimidating for us 30 and under.

You're also often retired or no longer having to spread your disposable income across multiple distractions, which also is intimidating.

We live in a time where the entire world is connected and everyone has an opinion. we're don't look to our local hifi shop as the singular portal into the hobby and instead find ourselves faced with a vast trove of information and options. that's intimidating.

we're like hummingbirds. don't have the patience to spend years with a piece of gear and new products cycle yearly whether they need to or not. the thought of not having the most absolute cutting edge in technology is intimidating.

then there's perceived (or real) format snobbery. it's not possible to sample gear combinations at a rate consistent with our Google research. music theory escapes us. the engineering bores us, and serves as the single greatest topic of audio forum drama.

we're in this weird period of time where the hobby is evolving and its participants are from opposite ends of the age, experience, and financial spectrum. i was kidding earlier, but i really do think it'll take your generation dying off in order for the hobby to take its next big steps. it's exciting, but also incredibly saddening because you guys do have so much to offer to the hobby.

I guess that's why i like the RTM thread so much. most of what's mentioned is never on my radar and so I get exposure to a vast variety of musical styles and personal favorites - and I get the freedom to suggest my own favorites without fear of rejection.

• Like 3

I've been pondering this throughout the day. Which hobby are we talking about? ...dedicated music listening (as opposed to multitasking)? music appreciation (all genres and time periods)? audio theory (music, engineering)? gear churn? the art of gear synergy? vinyl? CD? File based?

As mentioned earlier, a lot of you guys had the pleasure of growing up and maturing in parallel with the hobby. That's hugely intimidating for us 30 and under.

You're also often retired or no longer having to spread your disposable income across multiple distractions, which also is intimidating.

We live in a time where the entire world is connected and everyone has an opinion. we're don't look to our local hifi shop as the singular portal into the hobby and instead find ourselves faced with a vast trove of information and options. that's intimidating.

we're like hummingbirds. don't have the patience to spend years with a piece of gear and new products cycle yearly whether they need to or not. the thought of not having the most absolute cutting edge in technology is intimidating.

then there's perceived (or real) format snobbery. it's not possible to sample gear combinations at a rate consistent with our Google research. music theory escapes us. the engineering bores us, and serves as the single greatest topic of audio forum drama.

we're in this weird period of time where the hobby is evolving and its participants are from opposite ends of the age, experience, and financial spectrum. i was kidding earlier, but i really do think it'll take your generation dying off in order for the hobby to take its next big steps. it's exciting, but also incredibly saddening because you guys do have so much to offer to the hobby.

I guess that's why i like the RTM thread so much. most of what's mentioned is never on my radar and so I get exposure to a vast variety of musical styles and personal favorites - and I get the freedom to suggest my own favorites without fear of rejection.

Very good statement.

Another absolute is I enjoy music on my stock audio system in our vehicles without issue. I enjoy music and appreciate it regardless of sound quality. This leads me to want higher fidelity but I could live without it for the rest of my life if forced too and still enjoy music. Heck I even enjoy listen to my ear buds while mowing my 2.5 acre lawn it sure beats the friggin noisy garden tractor...

Edited by NOSValves
  • Like 1

I disagree with generalizing all kids of this generation. There are many thrift stores and antique stores around central Arkansas that are carrying more vintage consoles, turntables and hifi gear because kids are into it. I used to get pretty good deals but because it is "cool" the prices have started going up. This started with the vinyl revolution that is going on but they all want something cool to play their records on and not that POS at Target.

I agree. I live in central Arkansas too. Last time I was in Hastings there were college kids male and female looking through all the vinly new and used for sale. They were buying too. Both my sons (25 and 19 almost 20) are buying new vinly records and building their collections although neither has a turntable yet. Neither do I but I'm looking. BTW, vinly sales were up 37% nationally in 2013.

Yup while CD sales are dropping like a rock and has for sometime Vinyl keeps rising...

Actually this is also the time to buy CD's 8-). I'm stocking up on these now.

Although vinyl record sales are up 40%, about 12 million units last year, vinyl sales are less than 2% of total music sales. Non-CD digital music leads the way with sales in billions. The next generation has spoken. :rolleyes:

Another absolute is I enjoy music on my stock audio system in our vehicles without issue. I enjoy music and appreciate it regardless of sound quality. This leads me to want higher fidelity but I could live without it for the rest of my life if forced too and still enjoy music. Heck I even enjoy listen to my ear buds while mowing my 2.5 acre lawn it sure beast the friggin noisy garden tractor...

Not a motor head eh? I never played music driving my Alfa 164. The engine/exhaust note was just too sweet. As for my other engines, including the lawn mower, I learn their songs and can tell when the slightest change occurs.

Not good. You are playing someone else's game and they will always win as long as you play by their rules.

Watch this and report back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfbbF3oxf-E