How much music do you buy?

muel

How many albums, CDs, downloads etc... do you buy per month ?  

It varies a lot for me but I'm finding that lately I average about 10+ per month.  Probably more used than new.  I know I have gone WAY over that some months and sometimes I don't have time to listen to it until months later or I even forget about it.  I took inventory and started to keep a log so I wouldn't make a mistake and buy the same thing twice... unless it was on purpose for a different version.

Great topic.  :emotion-22: 

About once a month here. The GF and I hand off where if I don't buy anything for a while that's usually when she'll snag up an album or two.

Interestingly, she's the one into buying new, as she's always listening to radio during her commute and Pandora at work. I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum grinding away for hours scrounging through Amazon and Discogs libraries online for those obscure gems.

Guest Steven1963

The last music I bought was from itunes for ~$16.50...the month before that was about $35.00.  Just yesterday I discovered google music and for $10.00 a month for lossless I may never 'buy' music again.  The ability to play any song from any time period and any genre at the touch of a button and create favorites/playlists out of those is more valuable to me than actually owning it. 

Edited by Steven1963

The last music I bought was from itunes for ~$16.50...the month before that was about $35.00.  Just yesterday I discovered google music and for $10.00 a month for lossless I may never 'buy' music again.  The ability to play any song from any time period and any genre at the touch of a button and create favorites/playlists out of those is more valuable to me than actually owning it.

I have a similar method, I preview new releases on spotify then if I really like it I go out and buy it I still love to have physical media...FYI The new Tom Petty hypnotic eye was good enough to own in my eyes.

The ability to play any song from any time period and any genre at the touch of a button and create favorites/playlists out of those is more valuable to me than actually owning it. 

Hey just a test. Do they have: Thelma Houston "I've got the music in me" or Dennis Wilson "Pacific Ocean Blue" or Dianne Carroll "Tribute to Ethel Waters" complete albums? 

Using itunes I can take my existing CD library and download selected favorites from them all.  So I've cherry picked my own CD collection and occasionally will buy a song from itunes.  I've been streaming Pandora of late and it's been so enjoyable that I don't putz with CD's much unless I'm making them for friends.  I spent $1.29 last month on music.   

In 2013, I averaged 17 discs/month (including Blu-Ray music discs). 

For 2014, five since March (retired from last job, starting a new one).  I listen to a lot of new artists now using YouTube on my BDP-103 on the main rig.  Works pretty well paired with my laptop to queue them up and segue to the next selections.  It's not really hi-fi however--they're all stereo mp3-like on YouTube (actually AAC, another lossy format), but it does help the budget.  And my musical tastes are expanding.

I'm much more choosy nowadays and it pays off with a much higher percentage of tracks that I like and play a great deal more than last.  I also found myself really having to search a lot more to find new discs late last year, having acquired so many...

EDIT (9 May 2021): in the past 12 months, I bought a bit over 100 discs.  This seems to be a fairly steady number of discs (about 2 albums/week).  Since I demaster virtually all my CDs (a standard task I added in January 2015), this means that I also demaster about one newly acquired CD per week (about half of my disc purchases are multichannel SACD and BD music discs--since I'm building that collection up (SACDs cannot be demastered, but generally don't need to be).  I've doubled my multichannel SACD collection in the past year or so.

Chris

What I buy is either not available via stream or I like it enough that I want a higher quality version.  When the DR Database doesn't have the info I've even bought two or three different releases of the same thing just to find out if one is better.  For some real favorites (and on a few whims)  I've gotten some high rez downloads.  It would bother me more to not have the physical media if not for my multiple backups.

I usually acquire a dozen or so albums per month. RTM is a treasure trove for new (to me) music suggestions ranging from jazz to classic to classical to chamber to rock. After that, Pandora fills the gaps with suggestions, and I track the weekly new releases on Amazon. And then after I import the music into my storage infrastructure I spend hours tracking down just the right album art and tagging the tracks.

It varies, depending on how much I've had to drink, now that amazon.com is around....

Oh, don't I know it!  It is SO easy to spend money with a couple of clicks but gotta love that Amazon prime!  I can't believe some of the deals on used CDs and I have mostly had good luck with 3rd party sellers.  Get a few too many broken cases though.  Those thin bubble wrap mailers aren't enough protection.  Luckily, I have a whole box of replacement cases that I saved over the years from CD-R disks before they started selling them on spindles.

I'm I the only one who has streaming services like Pandora or Beats Music AND still buys a lot of music? 

• Like 2

I wish I could say I purchase more then I do.  However I have only purchased about 2 albums in the last year.  I wish more stuff was available in high resolution via a online source.  There is a lot of stuff I still would like to own.  I guess Spotify has been keeping me satisfied for now.  Once I get my basement done where I can spend more time just sitting and listening I will get back to purchasing music. 

I've bought quite a few high rez downloads from Hdtracks and HDTT but it really goes to show that what matters is the original recording... WAY more than the resolution.  I have standard CD's that sound awesome!   Actually, I don't listen to CD's... just the FLAC files I rip to the computer.

Watch for the sales on those high rez sites (set up an account so you'll get emails from them). 

I've thought about trying Spotify... might have to get the trial.  I transferred SO many albums to Beats from MOG I hate to start over again.