Badly beat up LaScala restoration completed

mustang guy

Here is a corner. They are pretty much all the same. Bad.

PT5ONRD.jpg

Get in there with some 80 grit to rough up the wood. The autobody filler adheres well. Here is an early stage after using a rasp on the still soft filler.

aBibYhU.jpg

Here is the method used to rasp. The front part of the rasp MUST BE flat against the body of the speaker, or you will end up with uneven and rounded edges.

H1Dpgcf.jpg

Repeat the filler and rasping until you have a nice edge and corner, then spray with some primer, like this. It take many repetitions to get it right:

bPk4f6E.jpg

If you are covering with Duratex you are done. If you are painting, you will need to get out the spot putty to fill the rough parts. Here is what it looks like with 1 coat of Duratex. There will be two.

r2cqNSB.jpg

WnsOTjp.jpg

I have already painted and restored the horn. I have the front wedge redone. I have the front face about 75% done. All I need it the bottom and back edges, and I will post some completed pics.

• Like 9

Nice touch! Much improved.

Are these repairs to the cabs from your shop rig, or are these strictly fix'er uppers for some other use?

I had given a pair of these beaters to my son's fraternity with K-43's in them. What happened is they dropped one of them off the back of a truck and left it. I took this one back. I will be putting a K33 in it.

I will be using it to make my shop a 7.4 system. 7 LaScalas, 2 THT's and 2 KPT-684's. I still have to run the wire to the back of the shop for the KPT's. One thing I did find was that according to Klipsch, the 684's are flat to 20Hz with eq. They should fill in the back of the shop nicely. All in all, adding this LaScala and the 2 KPT-684's should make this already great sounding system more uniform.

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 3

Great work. Would the same approach work on MDF?

Yes.

Bondo is a great filler for speakers.  It doesn't shrink, adheres well, will sand perfectly flat and takes primer and paint well.  When you fill holes or corners with MDF you have to be careful as the bondo is harder than the MDF and will sand at a different rate.  Basically, using the same amount of effort when sanding the bondo will remove more of the surrounding MDF than the bondo if you don't pay attention. 

• Like 2

I had given a pair of these beaters to my son's fraternity with K-43's in them. What happened is they dropped one of them off the back of a truck and left it. I took this one back. I will be putting a K33 in it.

???  These boys need be forced to pay full retail for a set of Bose cubed.  There must be more to this story. 

Otherwise, nice post. 

• Like 1

Great work. Would the same approach work on MDF?

Yes.

Bondo is a great filler for speakers.  It doesn't shrink, adheres well, will sand perfectly flat and takes primer and paint well.  When you fill holes or corners with MDF you have to be careful as the bondo is harder than the MDF and will sand at a different rate.  Basically, using the same amount of effort when sanding the bondo will remove more of the surrounding MDF than the bondo if you don't pay attention. 

Thanks!!

• Like 1

I had given a pair of these beaters to my son's fraternity with K-43's in them. What happened is they dropped one of them off the back of a truck and left it.

+++

What???  :o

Excuse me, I didn't finish the sentence;  WHAT A BUNCH OF MORONS!  :angry:

I mean, really, I understand what it is to be an idiot in college.  I was one, both my boys were idiots, but there IS a limit to stupidity!  I'm sure you son didn't do that, but those other guys need to get a BIT of a clue that when somebody does something REALLY nice for you, the least you can do is show ordinary care to the gift.

It's their loss.