Looking for mini-amp recommendations

mattSER

I'm interested in buying a mini 2-channel amp for my RB-10s and/or RB-15s.

I was looking at the Emotiva a-100, but at 15" deep it's actually a little bigger than I'd like. I want something that would easily fit on a computer desk and output maybe 20-50 watts. Volume control is a plus, but not necessary.

Where should I start?

I'm interested in buying a mini 2-channel amp for my RB-10s and/or RB-15s.

I was looking at the Emotiva a-100, but at 15" deep it's actually a little bigger than I'd like. I want something that would easily fit on a computer desk and output maybe 20-50 watts. Volume control is a plus, but not necessary.

Where should I start?

I've got an a-100 sitting behind my RC64II. If you can turn it 90 degrees, at 8.5 inches wide, it's a pretty small footprint.

Great amp for the money!

Cool, thanks guys.

That Teac looks amazing but a little more than I wanted to spend.

The Topping is almost exactly what I was picturing! Any more similar to that?? I just want to check out my options.

Although, I'm thinking about that Maverick just because it would be my first tube amp and it's not too expensive.

• Like 1

I want one!

There is another TEAC mini- amp out there. A search of word would produce some results. Sold as seperates. They have some nice looking gear too. The 2 had in mind then already mentioned. There are some Yamaha units. Onkyo as well. Parasound.

Z series?That Maverick looks good too. Enjoy the look for.

Edited by billybob

Dammit, man! So many tasty choices here!

That Jolida looks fantastic! I wish I had the cash for something like that.

BillyBob, you mentioned onkyo may have mini amps, but all I can find are their compact systems and a $600 "slim" amp. I'd love to stick with onkyo.

Otherwise, I've seen a Dayton DTA-120 that looks to fit the bill. Anybody have experience with it?

I'm now leaning toward the Topping or the Dayton.

• Like 1

I have this: Very small, totally silent, almost no heat, great sound, 15 wpc.  I have used it for 2.0 on my computer setup, and for experimenting on different speaker combos.  For $30 you really can't go wrong.  I bought mine 2 years ago for $34.

300-380_HR_0.jpg

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-1-class-t-digital-ac-dc-mini-amplifier-15-wpc--300-380

+++

The Leipai has been very highly rated, 20 wpc.  Read the reviews for more info.

310-300_HR_0.jpg

http://www.parts-express.com/lepai-lp-2020a-tripath-class-t-hi-fi-audio-mini-amplifier-with-power-supply--310-300

This Leipai is four more bucks 40 wpc, and supports a sub, 2.1 setup.

http://www.parts-express.com/lepai-lp-168ha-21-2x40w-mini-amplifier-1x68w-sub-output--310-308

Edited by wvu80

That Dayton is rated for 4ohms, so I'm guessing I'd be getting around 5-10 watts at 8 ohms. Have you ever had a problem with the miniscule power? Ever tried running it with batteries?

The mini-amp was ran through my PC, so it is all near-field listening, speakers 4-5 feet away from me, at most, at ear level.

I ran the Dayton mini-amp with 8 ohm speakers including my DIY speakers, with 15" woofs and 12" horn, 10" woofs and 12" horn, and with my 8 ohm Bose 301's.  I could push all three to pretty loud levels, and I never did max out the volume, but I did push the volume knob to 75-80% all the time.  The little amp runs cool to the touch, but it is a rubber covered box, no internal fan.

What impressed me was how clean the power was at all volume levels.  I now run my computer speakers through a 100 watt Pioneer AVR, and frankly I think the sound was better with the Dayton mini-amp.  The Pio can play slightly louder, but not that much louder, believe it or not.

I have not tried the mini-amp with batteries.  Matt, if you do order the same unit I have, the power-on light is a VERY bright blue LED.  What some people have done is to put some nail polish over top it, if the light is too intense.  It will light up a dark room at night.

Here is the Fusion 10 with the Bose 301 sitting on top of it.  With this angle you can't really see how big that Fusion 10 is, but it weighs 65 pounds.  The HDTV at the top is a 26".  The other speakers have 12" SEOS waveguides, the Cheap Thrills (15" woof), and the Fusion 10.

post-58280-0-29440000-1413822430_thumb.j

post-58280-0-32840000-1413824037_thumb.jpost-58280-0-04160000-1413824070_thumb.j

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

Choices of Amplifiers for Big Ole Horn loudspeakers

• Look for heavy, vintage solid-state receivers, like Harmon Kardon twin transformer models 430-930, which go for as little as $5 in a yard sale (mine). These sound as good as new receivers costing hundreds, even thousands (see Roksan Caspain receiver review on EnjoyTheMusic.com). They are quite a bargain for Big Ole Horn loudspeakers.
  • Even the low cost ($30) Lepai LP-2020A+ stereo, class T, audio chip amplifier can easily drive my 103-dB efficient Big Ole Horn loudspeakers on most music to moderate volumes at ¼ on the dial. Like a cheap burger, it is a lot of food for the price. Hard to beat.
  • Check out better quality chip amplifiers, like Sonic Impact and Trend Audio, which are about $100
  • Seriously consider low-cost, refurbished tube amplifiers from fellow forum poster Craig, at NOSvalves.com. Many are a few hundred. Refurbishing one will take time, and about double the cost, so it a great amplifier will cost about a grand. The result however, will be as almost as good as most mega-buck integrated amplifiers, solid-state or tube. Consider either vintage integrated or separate tube pre and power amplifiers. 
  • The classic solid-state Outlaw receiver is excellent on Big Ole Horn loudspeakers
  • I know from experience that new Cayin, Cary, Antique Sound Labs and Bottlehead tube amplifiers are quite good
  • Jonathon Valin in The Absolute Sound (September 09) gave a rave review to the $800 Odyssey Khartago Power Amplifier comparing it very favorably to much more expensive amplifiers.
  • Like 1