Klipsch source material

AaronH

I have a normal Sony blu ray player and I am just wondering for all the folks that own an oppo, what the hype and advantages of the oppo players are? Thanks

superior build quality, regular firmware upgrades to compensate for bluray incompatibilities, superior video processors, dual HDMI, wide range of media support including all popular music and movie formats via DLNA or local usb connectivity, integrated streaming media services such as pandora, netflix, etc. physical media support for bluray, dvd, sacd, cd.

shall I go on?

• Like 1

I have a normal Sony blu ray player and I am just wondering for all the folks that own an oppo, what the hype and advantages of the oppo players are? Thanks

superior build quality, regular firmware upgrades to compensate for bluray incompatibilities, superior video processors, dual HDMI, wide range of media support including all popular music and movie formats via DLNA or local usb connectivity, integrated streaming media services such as pandora, netflix, etc. physical media support for bluray, dvd, sacd, cd.

shall I go on?

Besides build quality, I can buy a Sony on a 4:1 ratio. I've never had a format not play on my player. My Yamaha does the video process..... So....oh, and the Sony has all the apps you mentioned. But yeah, please continue. . .

you're the one that asked when there's a wealth of information on these units just a google search away. so what's your motive for asking if you've already written them off as an unnecessary expense?

Sorry, I guess I was just waiting for you to WOW me with undeniable proof that could differentiate it from an $85 Sony player. I'm well aware of Google and have researched it pretty extensively, but it seems arbitrarily subjective.

I would say the main differences between your somy and it for most peoples uses would be this:

Build quality

Customer support

Obviously it may do a few other things that the sony won't and it has dual outputs. But to me with modern receivers having dual monitor outputs and less and less people listening to sacd's it just a really nice piece to own if you have nothing else you wanna spend money on in your theater. My opinion of course.

I've had both... I would never replace my oppo with a ps. I WOULD, and did replace my ps with an oppo... and would willingly do so again.

As stated, build quality is vastly superior, but it's in the performance that the oppo really shines.

I agree with the build quality and some of the other features such as, SACD.  I use a Samsung in my signature which has a great pic, super fast, dual HDMI's, 7.1 speaker analog, all the apps, frequent firmware updates, ect.  I could have brought an Oppo but, all my TV's are Samsung and they work well together was my deciding factor.  A lot of audio gear comes down to personal choice.  Buy what you like and like what you buy is my motto!  The only major thing the Oppo can do that my Samsung will not play is multichannel SACD's which I don't use and most likely will not start to use in the future.  Don't get me wrong, the Oppo is the best player on the market for under a grand.

Edited by derrickdj1

I have a Samsung blu-ray player connected to my Pioneer receiver via HDMI. In this configuration the DVD player is acting as little more than a transport for reading the disc, and the Pioneer is doing all the processing. If I have this right, what is it that the Oppo will do that is different in playing a blu-ray? Not knocking anything, just after info. 

• Moderators

I too am actually curious if there is any visual or audio benefit to the Oppo vs other Bluray players. I did a quick google on my phone But didn't see any blind or double blind test results.

If I had to guess, you would not see or hear any difference between the two. I would think it would come down to build quality, whether you play games, and if you need SACD capability.

• Like 1

I too am actually curious if there is any visual or audio benefit to the Oppo vs other Bluray players. I did a quick google on my phone But didn't see any blind or double blind test results.

If I had to guess, you would not see or hear any difference between the two. I would think it would come down to build quality, whether you play games, and if you need SACD capability.

a is a guy on abs who did a side by side test on YouTube with the 93 or 103 and his play station. I'll see if I can find the link.

Edit: even better is the 95.

Edited by Scrappydue

With the Oppo 95 and 83SE, you get an overall better SACD, DVD-A, and CD player with high quality ESS SABRE DACs.  With the Oppo 105, you get ESS SABRE flagship DACs for all channels in dual differential configuration and the ability to use it as a high quality stand alone DAC and as a preamp.  Blu-ray video playback for all will be about the same as your $150.00 BB player except for the Darbee Edition Oppos.

Bill