Time for some Christmas shopping. Post what you'll be buying or getting!

JL Sargent

Story time for Klipschers!

I work on the side at PetCo.  Our store is right next to Best Buy - which is the anchor store.  On Wednesdays, typically people are setting up their tents for Friday.  By about 8 PM, people usually have electrical wires running from their tents at Best Buy, to our electrical outlet outdoors - as we're the only ones who have them. 

On Thanksgiving 2009, one of my bosses and I went in around 9 AM to feed the animals and make sure all of them were taken care of.  We noticed one of the 50 ft long extension cords running from the tents to our electrical outlet.  Upon leaving the store that morning (the temperature was around 12 F, with snow falling), we shut down the electrical circuit to the outdoor outlet, as well as unplugged the cord from the wall before we left.

As I was pulling away from the stoplight I noticed who appeared to be a husband and wife (redneck style) come bursting out of the tent and running over to the outlet.  Too bad that was in vain.  It's now a store tradition to shut down the outdoor outlet the Monday before Thanksgiving.

• Like 2

Minor Thread Drift:  Speaking of disposable income, what does the Klipsch Forum Collective think?  As consumers of new and old audio gear, is this a better time to BUY new and used stuff, or a better time to SELL?

Generally the rule is "buy in the summer months, sell in the other months." Summer tends to be soft for audio as people are more involved in outdoor pursuits. As a buyer, deals come in warm weather. This time of year tends to be when more people are buying.

This was especially true before the '08 "crash" - the "winter peak" was higher, it seemed, back then - deals can even be had year round these days relative to what similar items sold for back then. Unless it's very rare or unique, the audio market on used gear is pretty good for the buyer in most cases these days.

Back on topic, I picked up a small batch of Philips/Holland 6922s today - the last bastion of "tube need" for my gears - so I got what I wanted for the holiday season and beyond.

As for others, my wife and I tend to think like Thaddeus does - it's more a "year round" idea than just doing it because the calendar calls for it. Some of the most appreciated and "impactful" gifts were given when the opportunity and time was right. It seems like when we "force" it because the calendar says so it doesn't turn out as well as when we "gift" when things line up right for other reasons. Sometimes it aligns with the holidays, sometimes not. We usually share baked goods in any case :D

• Moderators

Haven't been Christmas shopping in 20 years, for us it's just for the kids and I surely don't do that shopping. It's about the same for birthdays here,

My wife's birthday is Christmas day, and still nothing, :o  but really we get whatever we want (when possible) whenever it comes up during the year so it's no big deal.

It's just the opposite for the kids, they go nuts.

• Like 2

My dad never did any Christmas shopping either, but mom did enough for both of them!!!

My parents always saw to it that we got the "deluxe" version of Christmas. They are truely some of my dearest memories. Waking up on Christmas morning after dreaming of the  Christmas Comstock we knew would be piled around the tree. My two brothers and I would try to slip downstairs just before dawn. I can still hear my mom saying "you boys stay in the bed till the sun is out", but we couldn't hardly wait. When the green light finally came we rushed in like mad men and would dig into everything without reserve. We would start building/assembling/erecting/throwing/shooting/playing. We did whatever the toy would allow!!! The year we got the hippity hops we almost killed each other. Remember those things? Anyway, after a few hours of this mom would move to the kitchen where an awesome Christmas dinner would be created for our family and friends. So many years this was our standard operating procedure. 

I'm 51 years old now and still love Chirstmas.

• Like 2

When i was a kid my folks had meager means so birthday and christmas were the only times they could really spoil me. Now that im an adult in a dual income household i have the disposable income and freedom to buy "toys" throughout the year.. Ive made a concerted effort to indulge my girls and nieces/nephews for the sake of the fun and magical side of christmas (with a very healthy dose of spirituality), but otherwise have been putting a priority on spending quality time with friends and family, requesting that they reciprocate with the same. Some insist on doing gifts anyways, but outside the expectation of receiving anything in return and hurt feelings when i dont reciprocate with stuff.

My wife and i try to make every day christmas, valentines day, birthday, etc - living intentionally and consistently and not just when the themed holiday rolls around.

Having said that, I think im getting new socks and underwear from santa. And i know the wife is getting a few new baking pans. ;)

I've found that vacuum cleaner bags usually are a big hit. . . .

• Like 2

My dad never did any Christmas shopping either, but mom did enough for both of them!!!

My parents always saw to it that we got the "deluxe" version of Christmas. They are truely some of my dearest memories. Waking up on Christmas morning after dreaming of the  Christmas Comstock we knew would be piled around the tree. My two brothers and I would try to slip downstairs just before dawn. I can still hear my mom saying "you boys stay in the bed till the sun is out", but we couldn't hardly wait. When the green light finally came we rushed in like mad men and would dig into everything without reserve. We would start building/assembling/erecting/throwing/shooting/playing. We did whatever the toy would allow!!! The year we got the hippity hops we almost killed each other. Remember those things? Anyway, after a few hours of this mom would move to the kitchen where an awesome Christmas dinner would be created for our family and friends. So many years this was our standard operating procedure. 

I'm 51 years old now and still love Chirstmas.

Very cool story. I'm 51 also but I don't remember the hippity hops. Even though I had 5 brothers and 1 sister, we always had a great Christmas. 

I watched the movie "Stand By Me" the other night, it reminded me a lot of my childhood, sleeping out in my treehouse with my friends, walking down the railroad tracks to go fishing, seems like a thousand years ago. I have 2 daughters, and tell them to enjoy this time of your life, because it's probably more simple than what's coming up. 

• Like 2

Best Buy is supposed to have the first three Transformers for like $5 for all of them I think. Unfortunately the last one is the best though and it's not in there. Just looked on their site, one of them is like $2.

I used to collect movies but then one day I realized I never watch them. I typically like to just go to the movie rental store, especially since apparently the manager likes to hire nice looking girls as cashiers.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I used to go snow skiing on Christmas day.  One year mom told me if I didn't stay home Christmas day I wouldn't get any presents.  I told her to keep them.  Then took my younger sister with me.  After that we always opened gifts Christmas Eve.  Christmas was a good time of the year.   :)   Never felt slighted on gifts.

LEDs don't like too much voltage but seem to do fine with a little less. It's a heat issue it seems. The hotter the LED gets the shorter its life span. So a 12v LED does just fine on 9v but will burn up in short order on 15v.

Everything i play with in the Lab/Cave is different, this 4" X 10" Green piece of fiberglass is from Nasa surplus, and have just found 

glows nicely @120Vac, have no idea where or when i got it. just cleaning the cave (Box's of junk).