Question for the Football Geeks

Gilbert

First of all because teams have internal competitions to see who performs better in training camp and also in practice during the week, and the better player as judged by the coaches starts the game.  Same with every position.  Secondly, he is a rookie and inexperienced.  For the most part, in the NFL, this is a major item.  Also, Cleveland is in a playoff race, and they've given Hoyer every chance they could, but it's just not working out.  Manziel is a wild card, a wild man, we'll see.

Why isn't the Browns coach putting him out on the field more often? Why is he choosing to play Johnny Manziel only sparingly  ?

Because Brian Hoyer was the starter going into the 2014 season.  But, Manziel will start this Sunday against the Bengals.

Bill 

In general it is hard to go directly from college football to the pro game.  The skill players who can usually step right in at the highest levels and be productive are running backs.  QB's are said to take about three years before they are seasoned and ready to take their team to the Superbowl.

But in recent years highly touted QB's are coming out in their rookie years and are expected to produce results.  Cleveland in particular has drafted QB's as top picks, thrown them in to starting lineup immediately with disastrous results, that being non-winning teams and ruining QB's immediately to the point that their high dollar investments are being wasted.

If a QB can learn from the sidelines watching a veteran QB that is considered ideal.  Steve Young took over from Joe Montana after sitting the bench, and Aaron Rodgers is also a good example, after he watched Brent Farve for several years.

Others directly upstream have chronicled how Brian Hoyer's season has gone, starting out strong but has gone downhill lately.  Cleveland is definitely in the running for a playoff spot, so they want to put their best QB on the field, to win NOW.  For better or for worse, it is now Johnny Manziel's turn.

• Like 1

Johnny Manziel, aka Johnny Badass, aka Johnny Football.

AKA Johnny Bench.

As stated above, he should start this weekend, not because he's earned it necessarily but because Hoyer has been so putrid as of late.

Johnny Bench, I haven't heard that one….awesome!

Lets see if the Browns receivers run the correct routes with Johnny Football. Hoyer's leg injury cut his running and quickness down about 30% even when healthy. He is now very reluctant to leave the pocket even when crashing. Most of Hoyer's interceptions were receivers running incorrect routes which really made him look bad. The pass rush often did not give him time to set his feet. The horrible kick return game has hurt the Browns.

JJK

Why isn't the Browns coach putting him out on the field more often? Why is he choosing to play Johnny Manziel only sparingly  ?

I screwed up the first post... Sorry Gilbert.

You would of thought that I went to a&m.

Edited by Boxx

Saw the game, fell asleep shortly after the 3rd TD only to awake to a 30 to zip score.  I have officially redubbed Johnny Football to Johnny Flat Tire, aka Johnny Blowout.

As mentioned, I know very little about football, but never imagined there being such a big discrepancy between college and pro players. Johnny should have stayed in college and at least earn a degree before sailing off into the pro football abyss.

His performance makes me think of that Brad Pitt movie, "Money Ball". Probably a bit premature for me to make that assumption, but Johnny was sure sucking rocks yesterday.

Edited by Gilbert

I agree with you mostly Gilbert, but when a team loses 30-zip, it's not just the quarterback.  Manziel deserves at least a year or two before we have any idea of what he is capable of in the NFL.  One game really doesn't tell you much, coaches can tell much more from watching him in practice every day.

The one part of the story that disturbed me was how everyone said how "hard" Johnny worked all week in practice.  The hardest he's worked all year.  Manziel himself said he had not worked hard all year until the last week.  That shows me a very poor work ethic and a lousy attitude for a professional football player, the "leader" of the team.  That is the part that would make me think he's not good pro QB material.

• Like 2

The one part of the story that disturbed me was how everyone said how "hard" Johnny worked all week in practice.  The hardest he's worked all year.  Manziel himself said he had not worked hard all year until the last week.  That shows me a very poor work ethic and a lousy attitude for a professional football player, the "leader" of the team.  That is the part that would make me think he's not good pro QB material.

Completely, 100% agree..... 

As a fan of the Big Red Machine, I'm not sure Johnny Bench would like his name disrespected.....

As a fan of the Bengals, (yeah, in general, it's been a tough 20 years....)

Anyways, as a fan of the Bengals, I really thought they'd make Manziel look like the next coming of Johnny Unitas.  They seem to have that knack for stand in quarterbacks.

It was nice to see them pounce.

As a fan of the Big Red Machine, I'm not sure Johnny Bench would like his name disrespected.....

As a fan of the Bengals, (yeah, in general, it's been a tough 20 years....)

Anyways, as a fan of the Bengals, I really thought they'd make Manziel look like the next coming of Johnny Unitas.  They seem to have that knack for stand in quarterbacks.

It was nice to see them pounce.

No disrespect to Bench, he was a great player on my favorite team of all time, just thought that name was funny.

I think Manziel has a bad attitude. He ran for a touchdown a few games ago, and gave the crowd the money sign. I know he's young, maybe he needs better people advising him.