attitudes to retire in the new year

Paducah Home Theater

In the spirit of the "phrases" thread, something has been bothering me lately, especially when realizing I'm as guilty as anybody. It revolves around having a superiority complex. Social media has become a non-stop wizzing match. A vain train. Let's all be narcissists. It gets old. examples:

your religion is superior. super old pet peeve of mine. But, it goes well beyond that.

your vehicle is superior, you take more pics of it than your wife. Even if it isn't, you still act like it, participating in what amounts to the old Chevy vs. Ford debate.

your house is superior, you use it to remind everyone of your social class.

your social class in general is superior, that's why you shame and laugh at the poor Black Friday shoppers who can't afford a nice TV otherwise.

your morals are superior and that's why you're all too eager to be "offended" for somebody else's sake

your beer is superior, and you are too eager to dismiss someone's rice soup, aka. Budweiser and the like.

your mad debating skillz are superior, that's why you know all the logical fallicies and are quick to reference them, even if it means stretching the definitions.

your diet is superior, health food nuts are often bad about this.

hell, on here, even your speakers and A/V buying choices are superior.

seems like if you are a somewhat young female, you show everyone your superiority complex via selfies, which amounts to nothing more than fishing for compliments.

even hunters display it, your litmus test of whether a deer is worth shooting is superior, even your methods are, such as bowhunters snubbing crossbow users.

let's not even get into politics, but since I'm mentioning it, liberals are typically really bad about this by default, but it goes both ways.

I even have multiple friends who are all too eager to directly point out that their taste in music and even artwork is superior. Really?

sports teams... ugh.

who. gives. a. crap. It's a waste of life.

My 2015 resolution is to try to shed as much of this as possible, both in exposure and my participation with it. Happiness should not be dependent upon telling other people how to live or trying to display how your quality of life is better, even if indirectly and subconsciously. The world needs to step off of the Narcissist Express for awhile. I will try to jump out as soon as I can.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 3

• Moderators

Very good, but my list would be better :o  :lol:

But really your right, there is nothing wrong with competition but it's out of control it appears. Wanting to be better is normal but not as a point to prove or show your better than others, just to make yourself better should be enough.

I got over this stuff a long time ago, the only people I care to impress are my wife and family,(on a good day) no one else matters in the end. I could care less my car is 14 years old, truck 26, my house was built by me and not the "standard' as far as looks go, the way I talk, type, spell and put together sentences is what's comfortable for me, because I just don't care what people think, it's really that simple. 

I may be just as bad or worse but on the other end of the spectrum ?

• Like 2

In the spirit of the "phrases" thread, something has been bothering me lately, especially when realizing I'm as guilty as anybody. It revolves around having a superiority complex. Social media has become a non-stop wizzing match. A vain train. Let's all be narcissists. It gets old. examples:

your religion is superior. super old pet peeve of mine. But, it goes well beyond that.

your vehicle is superior, you take more pics of it than your wife. Even if it isn't, you still act like it, participating in what amounts to the old Chevy vs. Ford debate.

your house is superior, you use it to remind everyone of your social class.

your social class in general is superior, that's why you shame and laugh at the poor Black Friday shoppers who can't afford a nice TV otherwise.

your morals are superior and that's why you're all too eager to be "offended" for somebody else's sake

your beer is superior, and you are too eager to dismiss someone's rice soup, aka. Budweiser and the like.

your mad debating skillz are superior, that's why you know all the logical fallicies and are quick to reference them, even if it means stretching the definitions.

your diet is superior, health food nuts are often bad about this.

hell, on here, even your speakers and A/V buying choices are superior.

seems like if you are a somewhat young female, you show everyone your superiority complex via selfies, which amounts to nothing more than fishing for compliments.

even hunters display it, your litmus test of whether a deer is worth shooting is superior, even your methods are, such as bowhunters snubbing crossbow users.

let's not even get into politics, but since I'm mentioning it, liberals are typically really bad about this by default, but it goes both ways.

I even have multiple friends who are all too eager to directly point out that their taste in music and even artwork is superior. Really?

sports teams... ugh.

who. gives. a. crap. It's a waste of life.

My 2015 resolution is to try to shed as much of this as possible, both in exposure and my participation with it. Happiness should not be dependent upon telling other people how to live or trying to display how your quality of life is better, even if indirectly and subconsciously. The world needs to step off of the Narcissist Express for awhile. I will try to jump out as soon as I can.

I would like to agree with you.  But I'm better than that.

• Like 3

I would like to agree with you.  But I'm better than that.

I'm cracking up. :)

Like I said, I'm as bad as anybody about certain things. That bothers me more than anything. Social media has turned into an indirect competition rather than a way to catch up with your friends.

• Like 1

An attitude I would like to see given up is from this forum's rants about how their host company operates. Klipsch let's us play sandlot football in their back yard and we are egging their house.

No more Klipsch = no more Klipsch forums...

I brought my boys up with this saying. Lift up those around you, or they will pull you down.

• Like 6

This thread was rather self-centered was it not?  I am not going to engage in narcissistic posts because I am better than those who do.  The proverbial pot calling the kettle black if you will.

I will say you are correct about one thing - social media is evil.  If you Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or whatever the other "give me fame and instant gratification" nonsense is out there, well, Darwin should win.

Forums are a bit different; generally, people look to engage.  Facebook, twitter.... Kim Kardasian just wants you to like her fat fake butt and "like" or "friend" it.  I, myself, given the opportunity, would choose to meet a few folks on the Klipsch forum over the chance to see Kim flail around.

Edited by Anarchy Boy

This thread was rather self-centered was it not?  I am not going to engage in narcissistic posts because I am better than those who do.  The proverbial pot calling the kettle black if you will.

Except I'm fully admitting I'm as guilty as anybody. Replace "you" with "me" on more than one of these and it would probably be fitting. And I don't like that. My goal is to participate in it less myself, not to make other people shut up.

YouTube alone, might be one of the greatest inventions of the last 100 years. The granularity of the content is better than any printed encyclopedia. SM in the broadest sense is intensifying development in both the arts and sciences. And that happens irrespective of the "noise".

Yeah there is a lot of noise on youtube. Tried to watch a tutorial on how to change spark plugs on a newer car that doesn't have traditional wires and was like, WOW, somebody just wanted their picture out there. Luckily with votes and hit counts you can usually easily separate the junk from the good stuff.

Unfortunately I had a friend who became a victim to mental illness, pulled a "suicide by cop" one day. Saddens me to know that some of his rants and whatnot are still out there on youtube. Otherwise I couldn't do without it nowadays. You can learn how to do tons of stuff.

On Social Media - In spite of any downside, which I think is small, the ability to create and share user generated content world-wide is a stunning human development that rivals the printing press, the steam engine and the telephone. YouTube alone, might be one of the greatest inventions of the last 100 years. The granularity of the content is better than any printed encyclopedia. SM in the broadest sense is intensifying development in both the arts and sciences. And that happens irrespective of the "noise". The signal beneath is enormous. In the past two days I was studying TI's Overture chips, and I learned more in those two days about that  specific amplifier topology than was possible in 6-months in say 1980, when I worked at ADC with a department of 15 engineers, and we used to send off for AES papers, go to the library at the University, and travel to conferences. For creators, they could hardly have any complaints today. The noise can be ignored.

Yup, it's a brave new world.

Personally, I don't mind a little of most of that assuming it is done with respect.  There is a diversity of opinions here as well as audio goals.  What works or is true for you might not be for others.  Why would it?  We are different people from different backgrounds, different views on any topic you can think of except maybe for an affection for Klipsch.   What's wrong with sharing a story of an awesome car you used to own, a diet that seems to keep you healthy, a beer you like, or a piece of audio equipment that you are happy with?    There is a lot of passion for the audio hobby here and things can turn into a pi$$ing match quickly but, overall, I think people are pretty civil here compared to most forums.  

Personally, I don't mind a little of most of that assuming it is done with respect.

People have different perceptions though, which is what I’m the worst at understanding. For example the wife of a good friend of mine posted some BS about Irena Sendler being a plumber this morning. If you go to Irena Sendler’s site, they say that story is false and has 12 errors in it. Well, I “could” point this out, as if my Google-foo is superior, which is what Snopes.com addicts do. And, she’s just going to get offended and embarassed. There is no possible way to do this with her without appearing like I’m trying to look smarter or am a butthole in general. What’s the point? Why do we feel the need to engage such petty things at the risk of damaging personal relationships? Social media makes it too easy to do so.

I think the most important thing in this life is to be happy, and not get there by running others down, or climbing up their backside.  I know my my cars, stereos, home or anything else I have is not the best.  However as long as I'm happy and not running others down it does not matter.

My wife used to complain that we had the ugliest car in the parking lot when we went out.  Personally I just did not care.  It was paid for, ran good, and was dependable.  What more could I want for transportation.   

Nothing against those that have to have status symbols.  I'm sure that I do have a few of my own.  Just have to keep my priorities right for me.  It's not possible for me to always be happy.  But when I run others down to make me feel better, I'm wrong.  Better to help others feel good and in doing so feel better myself.

Enough Philosophy for me today.  Wishing everyone Happiness first.  Other things can get in line.  

• Like 1

When Marshall McLuhan (sp), the Canadian professor, posited his prediction of the Global Village, he didn't realize how many villages idiots would be able to participate.  Despite that, and what some may perceive, this Forum has remarkably little of the moronic behavior found in most online gatherings.

Now this place is the only forum/online media/social whatever in which I have spent any time.  Within my first few posts I added the following signature:

He Was a Legend in his Own Mind.

This was mostly as a reminder to myself to be civil, have a sense of perspective and  treat people kindly. Even if they should they disagree with me, and be perceived by me within my gestalt, of their base inferiority.

Now at times I have longed to change my signature to:

He Is a Living Legend

But that might evoke intimations of hubris masquerading as false pomposity, which, of course, should never be associated with myself.

After all, could a man who puts his own Family Jewels up for sale in the Garage Section, ever really aspire to online goddhood?

I shall ascend my mountain, ponder all of these questions closely and, in due time, set forth my conclusions.

• Like 1

When Marshall McLuhan (sp), the Canadian professor, posited his prediction of the Global Village, he didn't realize how many villages idiots would be able to participate.  Despite that, and what some may perceive, this Forum has remarkably little of the moronic behavior found in most online gatherings.
Yet, villages are diminishing at the same rate as the growth of this forum. Draw your own conclusions.

McLuhan was spot on in his medium is the message thinking.  The same audio advice given here would be believed/accepted at a much rate than if posted on Facebook.  To many, there is a certain degree of instant credibility here regarding audio topics. They’ll believe the message if they believe the messenger.

When Marshall McLuhan (sp), the Canadian professor, posited his prediction of the Global Village, he didn't realize how many villages idiots would be able to participate. Despite that, and what some may perceive, this Forum has remarkably little of the moronic behavior found in most online gatherings

Der?

When Marshall McLuhan (sp), the Canadian professor, posited his prediction of the Global Village, he didn't realize how many villages idiots would be able to participate. Despite that, and what some may perceive, this Forum has remarkably little of the moronic behavior found in most online gatherings

Der?

way to go Oldtimer--you just raised the IQ of this place.

• Like 1