Cat issue with modified Khorns

absolve2525

Nice cat. No longer have a rodent problem; now that I have 2 cats. They earn their keep.

I've lived in a Farm House for most of my life. When the crops come off, the mice come running for the house! They sell electronic Hypersonic noise makers that plug in the wall sockets. Haven't seen a mouse or found any evidence of a mouse in over 15 years! A lot cheaper and a lot less nasty than having a cat in the house. Next excuse for having a cat in the house, because being a mouser don't cut it!

Roger

Next excuse for not liking cats; that one don't cut it? Scared of a little pu55y.

Surely not scared of a little pu55y, and didn't say I don't like cats, they are great for improving my on target response time .... Shooting a running cat with a rifle is good practice! Furr bearing animals in the house is NASTY and any interference with my audio is unacceptable to me.

Roger

Congratulations!

Hey, Sancho,

I have 3 cats ("grew" into cats--first one for wife, 2nd for first cat, then 3rd for 2nd to quit pestering the 1st, ha ha, before I REALLY put my foot down about the number!).  Anyway, originally, a "dog person", but as I opened my home and heart, I have come to appreciate the feline majesty that God has given these creatures, too.  I know that He wants that appreciation shared with all (2 and 4-legged) creatures of His.  So, I suppose that I must do a better job of reflecting that understanding . . . . However, it does hurt to hear cavalier talk (probably not really intentioned or acted upon) about mistreatment of things that can feel pain.

Edited by JiminSTL
  • Like 1

Nice cat. No longer have a rodent problem; now that I have 2 cats. They earn their keep.

I've lived in a Farm House for most of my life. When the crops come off, the mice come running for the house! They sell electronic Hypersonic noise makers that plug in the wall sockets. Haven't seen a mouse or found any evidence of a mouse in over 15 years! A lot cheaper and a lot less nasty than having a cat in the house. Next excuse for having a cat in the house, because being a mouser don't cut it!

Roger

Next excuse for not liking cats; that one don't cut it? Scared of a little pu55y.

Surely not scared of a little pu55y, and didn't say I don't like cats, they are great for improving my on target response time .... Shooting a running cat with a rifle is good practice! Furr bearing animals in the house is NASTY and any interference with my audio is unacceptable to me.

Roger

Congratulations!

Any time! I could bring two rifles over and I could help you learn target acquisition if you like???

Rog

Oh... I get it, we're pushing the envelope here - let's see how offensive we can come across... yeah, funny! I'll play...just insert "dogs" to take a jab at that crowd...or "ferrets" ...I mean, who likes ferrets after all. Of course, if you really want a response, let's throw in "children"... can you picture that?! A couple of kids dashing around avoiding your bullets. They're small and can move around fast enough to present somewhat of a challenge for you and they'll figure out what's going on about as fast as cats would, or those d@#n ferrets (I think your dog would be too trusting to offer as much fun). 

I do apologize, but seriously, if you think using animals as target practice is funny - that may just be your upbringing. If you think its funny and not offensive to others, then perhaps you need to see a psychiatrist and work out some of those issues. If you just like being offensive, then by all means, feel free to attack me but please focus on my choice of amps, speakers, phono carts or wires... that's the norm around here and I'm an easy target. Be as offensive as you like - I promise you, it won't bother me one bit. Unfortunately though, you won't be able to watch me panic and run for my life, wrench with the sudden shock of a bullet entering my body or listen to me as I gasp for my last breath...but hey, I use those Cardas 'garden hose' speaker wires so that should be of some consolation for you... have at it!

Again, I apologize...just felt I had to get that out there before this threat gets shut down. BTW, this thread should be shut down so the OP can get a fresh start.

Edited by JBryan
  • Like 3

JBryan,

No apology necessary.  It seems to me that absolve started a mildly entertaining, light-hearted thread with his (?) modest posting.  I responded--with a simple, non-invasive method I use to ensure my cats do not "play" with my floor-standing speakers (vinegar and water spray on the grille covers--definitely, not on the cats!).  

I also felt compelled to add a 2nd response, saying, "However, it does hurt to hear cavalier talk (probably not really intentioned or acted upon) about mistreatment of things that can feel pain."

Hopefully, some of the comments were more "manly" bravado than reality.  I certainly have been guilty of puffery and opening my mouth before really thinking about the value of what I was saying.  Perhaps that happened here, too.

However, just this weekend my grandsons were watching Dr. Pol on TV, and a woman brought her cat in that was in a bad way.  Don't know any living creature that is improved or helped by being shot through its lower jaw, as this one had been . . . .

Happiness is a Warm Gun.

Spent many a day with my kids shooting Varmints.

We could kill enough in a weekend to save the ranchers a comparable amount of money as to what a lot of people made in that area made for income.  Kids and I had a very good time.

I don't kill cats anymore.  They do run as fast as any varmints we've hunted.  They do tend to have earned the reputation of having 9 lives though.  Even a rancher will shoot his own dog if it is causing damage to his live stock.  I've seen where this has happened.

I know that a lot of people don't agree with my thoughts of shooting varmints.  That's OK though.  If we all had the same beliefs it would be a dull world.  Who's to say what the common belief would be if we all thought the same.  Might be the way I think, might be the way someone else thinks. 

I know people that give a cat one chance stating there are plenty of cats that are well behaved to choose from.

Don't like what I got to say.  I really don't care.  You are entitled to your opinion.  Just as I'm entitled to mine.   :P

I have almost as many varmint rifles as I do for other purposes.  I also have cats, and dogs.

For those that say you can not train a dog to leave your chickens alone I must call BS.  I have trained every one of my dogs that killed chickens to leave them alone.

john 

Edited by Taz
  • Like 1

Hopefully, some of the comments were more "manly" bravado than reality.  I certainly have been guilty of puffery and opening my mouth before really thinking about the value of what I was saying.  Perhaps that happened here, too.

Obviously, I am in error to have given the benefit of the doubt in this case.  My hope was that some time to (re)consider things, might result in a more peaceful and softer heart.

So, directed at no one specifically, my final comment is that we change and grow only when we allow it, or circumstances become so overbearing that change and growth are the ONLY results possible, if we are to maintain ourselves.  

And, as there are not likely many interested in/invested in following this thread, my silence going forward on it probably will not be interpreted as acquiescence. Cruelty and/or needless killing and injury are hideous.

JiminSTL out ("radio" silence)

• Like 1

I think most of us can see a picture of a cat inside a Klipsch speaker and react "aw, that's cute."

I can also see when posters turn the topic into using house cats for target practice with a firearm that most would see that as "trolling."  It's not a matter whether someone does or does not like a post, but a troll post is deliberately designed to elect a strong emotional response, and troll posts are not a part of what I think this Klipsch Forum is about.

I've edited out (deleted) my own posts before when I'm wrong, and nobody has been offended.  The best solution is if we police ourselves, and recognize when we have crossed a line, and edit out our own stuff that could be considered trolling or deliberately offensive to others. 

If not, then I'm in before the close.

• Like 2

Dave,

Well said.  Agree completely.  Not normally "naive", but I really did not consider the troll aspect--especially from Forum posters of some history and reputation.  Don't deliberately attempt to annoy others (happens anyway occasionally, despite my intentions, ha ha), so I really did not consider trolling as possible motivation . . . .

BTW,  you present or former Army?

Even though I have been here less than a year, this forum has become my favorite, it really seems like a family. There are numerous extremely helpful and considerate people on here. And with any family, there might be a few that like to push the standard of decency by shocking others, just like a kid, "hey look at me".

So just like Crazy Uncle Larry, when he might need a favor, the favor might be slow to arrive, or ignored altogether. 

• Like 1

Since the thread is off track now, might as well take it where its heading, Im from a big family that are all big hunters and love to fish as well, but there is something very unsettling that is being taught to some of our youth about the sport. I think it starts with fanatical Dads and possibly moms. I love eating Deer more than anything, and I love watching them come to eat and graze in my pasture just as much. There are so many pictures of these young female hunters posing with their "grain fed," high fenced kept kill that they seem so proud of taking down its pretty sickening. Now I know, some of these photos are taken out of context and some are just with the animal tranquilized for marking and what not, but its really sad with all the poaching and "pen killing" hunters out there that seem to be gloating over their take.

How cool is this?

HT_melissa_bachman_with_lion_jt_131116_1

or this?

Screen-Shot-2014-07-01-at-8.36.01-AM-1-6

or this?

tdy_gabe_hunter_140702.vembedmed.jpg