Large tree leaning over house, wanna play Arborist?

JL Sargent

So I'm sitting on the deck and I notice the nearby Shaggy Bark Hickory Tree is leaning over my house! The lean angle had actually changed and was certainly more threatening to the house.

Should I call a tree service and have the professionals remove the tree? Nah, too expensive with the cost estimate North of $2,000.00. So I decided to fell the suspect tree myself. Here are my results!

Auston%20hands%20up_zpsysxihzrk.jpg

• Like 3

Once cut, I could see that I did indeed have a problem. You can see diseased wood in this photo. When the house was built 20 years ago the bark on this tree was damaged. This is were the wood looks bad all the way to the bark. The tree had gotten weak enough to start leaning into that area most damaged which is of course facing the house. 

20150311_160727_zps3nbqxt0y.jpg

The Polyphageous Shot Hole Borer and the Golden Spotted Oak Borer are pretty rampant here in SoCal.  Infestation spreads quickly and great caution must be used removing the tree and disposing of the diseased wood.  There actually is supposed to be some sort of tree vaccination; however, it only lasts for two years and who knows the financial cost.  

You’re either skilled or lucky felling that tree yourself…that was big enough to do some serious damage to your house.

Glad it came down safely.

• Like 1

I've dropped several over the years close to homes but this was the toughest one yet. I used a long steel winch cable tied 3/4 of the way up the tree and a come-a-long to pull an opposing force on the leaning tree. I then used a 12K lb rope to pull the tree in the direction I wanted it to fall. The tree actually fell on the pulling rope. I guess that happens when your planning and saw cuts are good. Now to cut, split, and stack this for next Winters firewood.

Edited by JL Sargent
  • Like 2

Nice job on knocking down that huge tree.  That close and leaning towards the house, I can't believe your wife let you do that.  B)   I've got one to take out when the weather dries out a bit, the last storm got it.

How many guys did you use (I'm guessing 2)  and what size bar (I'm guessing 16") on that chain saw?  It's hard to get perspective, but that tree looks pretty wide at the base.

So I'm sitting on the deck and I notice the nearby Shaggy Bark Hickory Tree is leaning over my house! The lean angle had actually changed and was certainly more threatening to the house.

Should I call a tree service and have the professionals remove the tree? Nah, too expensive with the cost estimate North of $2,000.00. So I decided to fell the suspect tree myself. Here are my results!

Auston%20hands%20up_zpsysxihzrk.jpg

great job  , it looks a lot safer now for your family -

• Like 1

Notch it on the side you want it to fall.. tie a chain or rope around the tree to guide in the proper direction.. saw thru the back side of the notch.

Not to hard to do... done it a few times before.

Notch it on the side you want it to fall.. tie a chain or rope around the tree to guide in the proper direction.. saw thru the back side of the notch.

No, not in this case. The tree would have simply fallen into the existing lean which would have been on my house. Look at the diseased trunk picture. The hinge was very weak due to this condition.  

Nice job on knocking down that huge tree.  That close and leaning towards the house, I can't believe your wife let you do that.  B)   I've got one to take out when the weather dries out a bit, the last storm got it.

How many guys did you use (I'm guessing 2)  and what size bar (I'm guessing 16") on that chain saw?  It's hard to get perspective, but that tree looks pretty wide at the base.

I used a wire guy (pulling opposite the house) and a rope one to pull in fall direction. The saw is a Husqvarna 272xp with a 20" bar. Tree diameter near cut is approaching 3ft.

A 20" bar?  That's a man's chain saw!  B)

I have a Husky 440 with a 16" bar.  It's a new model, which means thanks to EPA regs they have made the carb so it can't be adjusted except by a dealer and it runs so lean it is a bear to start, if it doesn't start perfectly the first time through.  Other than that, it runs great.

• Like 1

Dave, the Husky's last two digits is the cc displacement of the saw. So a 272 has a 72cc engine. Your 440 saw is just about perfect for most folks, use ethanol free fuel if you can and keep the chain sharp! I have several Huskys that I have collected over the years, a 55, 455, 61, 262, 272xp. I go to the flea market up the road and have a hard time walking away from great deal!

• Like 1

I've dropped several over the years close to homes but this was the toughest one yet. I used a long steel winch cable tied 3/4 of the way up the tree and a come-a-long to pull an opposing force on the leaning tree. I then used a 12K lb rope to pull the tree in the direction I wanted it to fall. The tree actually fell on the pulling rope. I guess that happens when your planning and saw cuts are good. Now to cut, split, and stack this for next Winters firewood.

I know that Hickory, in this area, has no rot resistance, so I burn it as soon as it's seasoned. Ash has no shelf life either. The Emerald Borer has damaged the Ash trees in this area. I have a couple of hundred trees that I processed for heat for the past few years and have a few years of trees to go. 

Great job dropping it where you wanted it to go. Wife's going to let you buy more speakers with the money you saved, right?

Schu, did you show this guy how to fell a tree?

• Like 5