Large tree leaning over house, wanna play Arborist?

JL Sargent

Pruned ten wax myrtles standing on an eight foot step ladder yesterday.  Used a saw with 20" bar.  Overkill and heavy but it's what I had.  More dragging limbs to the road this morning for the City to pick up.  A little sore and sun burned.

• Like 4

That reminds me of a lightning strike. In my case the lightning left one inch diameter blackish colored crooked trails through the stump down to the sewer pipe and eventually to the house and melted the aluminum siding. These crooked thingy's were very brittle however. The lightning hit tore the bark of the first 20 feet of a one hundred year old oak tree. I was standing in the kitchen eating a doughnut looking out the window when it hit and I said to myself, "That ain't right".

JJK

• Like 3

That reminds me of a lightning strike. In my case the lightning left one inch diameter blackish colored crooked trails through the stump down to the sewer pipe and eventually to the house and melted the aluminum siding. These crooked thingy's were very brittle however. The lightning hit tore the bark of the first 20 feet of a one hundred year old oak tree. I was standing in the kitchen eating a doughnut looking out the window when it hit and I said to myself, "That ain't right".

JJK

Understatement Award for the year  :D

I would have said something like S%#T and then made a trip to the bathroom for clean shorts

• Like 1

I use a Husky 14" (I think).  Removed many pine trees with it and planted a ton of palm trees.  The Canaries and Pindos are nice, but the washington/mexican fan palms were a big mistake.  I put them in big and now they are too tall.  They use to look really nice in the yard but now looking out the window they are just a bunch of vertical "poles" because the tops are so high.  So now I need to remove about 25 of them (maybe more - have not counted). 

I hear the trunks make nice wood to build with (like tikis) but I don't know what to do with them.  Anyone ever use the trunks? 

3ft. dia, leaning toward the house..... Holy mackerel!!

Good job, and good save. With that dead spot near the heart, it's a good thing you took action on removing that bugger.

I too would sure like to know what the tree boner is?

Nice job on the tree.  :emotion-21:

Cutting within distance of the house always scares the $)#%&*(# out of me so, I cheat.

This is my wife's cousins house next door.  Dug it up on three sides (letting the 4th side act as an anchor to keep it from falling towards his house) and huffed & puffed and extended my bucket.

post-12967-0-06740000-1426201967_thumb.j

post-12967-0-39260000-1426201988_thumb.j

• Like 1

Yep, not fair.

Popping up the root ball in one fell swoop was a nice benefit.  He wanted the root ball dug up so he could put a patio there later on (and didn't want the root ball rotting away creating an indention in the ground).

I hear the trunks make nice wood to build with (like tikis) but I don't know what to do with them.  Anyone ever use the trunks? 

I've not. I have done a lot of work for a hardwood veneer mill. They don't, but the stump can be sliced into veneer. If it's exotic or has a burl growth, it can produce some real neat features.

http://barkhouse.com/product/stumps-burls/

http://redwoodburl.com/project/burl-slabs-7/