Taking my dad and sons to Normandy Beach this summer

mustang guy

My late uncle was there -- can’t watch Saving Private Ryan without imaging what he saw over there.  Listening to his war stories while growing up, it never struck me what he was describing when he told of “…the minute the doors of the landing craft opened and the firing started…”  

• Like 2

• Moderators

Always a good thing to spend time with them, hope everything goes well.

The D-Day Museum in N.O. is amazing and depressing at the same time, it's part of the Smithsonian and very well done. It's an unbelievable story, they usually have a soldier there who was in the war greeting everyone as they come in and there happy to talk and answer questions, problem is there are very few left still around.

Have a good trip.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Wile your over yonder, you might wish to look into an audio store, most big citys have one or more.

I will be in London for a few days before venturing to the white cliffs of Dover and then Normandy.

Good thought!

There is a dealer/Jubilee owner in the UK, not sure if he is in London though.

• Like 2

I had an Uncle that was there with the 82nd Airborne. He was very modest and never talked about his WWll days. He passed away around Christmas of 2014, but his wife did tell me some about his jumps. He had over 50 jumps in the war, most of them behind lines. He did them because they paid an extra $68 dollars! She said "Pete didn't think of himself as a hero, we just needed the extra money"!

• Like 2

Wile your over yonder, you might wish to look into an audio store, most big citys have one or more.

I will be in London for a few days before venturing to the white cliffs of Dover and then Normandy.

Good thought!

The amazing thing is, once you go into one you will see things you had no idea existed, i was amazed at the store(s) they have in HongKong, and Singapore/Thailand were no different. i have a daughter and son-in-law on a cruise ship in the Atlantic, just a matter of time till they get to New Zealand, were my Audio needs WILL be met.

• Like 1

wow, would love to go there.

my dad, and his two brothers were stationed in the south pacific. my uncles on ships, my dad in the air in a PBM flying boat as a radio man.

The dealer in London is actually in Slough.  His name is Ralph Bagge and he was once mildly active.

Slough is something like a 15 minute train ride out of London (maybe 30??)

I've not emailed with him in a while but, his email at one time was ralph.bagge@virgin.net

His showroom is actually the living room in his home (unless that has changed).

Edited by Coytee
  • Like 1

I had an Uncle that was there with the 82nd Airborne. He was very modest and never talked about his WWll days. He passed away around Christmas of 2014, but his wife did tell me some about his jumps. He had over 50 jumps in the war, most of them behind lines. He did them because they paid an extra $68 dollars! She said "Pete didn't think of himself as a hero, we just needed the extra money"!

82nd jumped and there is a museum for them where they landed. I am planning on visiting it, as it is on the way to the ferry I am taking. I will get some pictures...

Here, I found the link to it:  Musée Airborne

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 2

82nd jumped and there is a museum for them where they landed. I am planning on visiting it, as it is on the way to the ferry I am taking. I will get some pictures...

That is pretty amazing, I would love to make it over there some day…..

• Like 1

That is pretty amazing, I would love to make it over there some day…..

I have found it best to plan something like this a year and a half ahead. Nobody is too busy to be able to do that, and 18 months is plenty of time to save enough money. That would be September 2016 for you. :)

If you are willing to go on the spur of a moment, you can sometimes book very cheap round trip tickets to London Heathrow. I have seen some crazy deals! I think in the fall it's cheapest. I could be wrong... My memory never was very good, and with age it aint gettin any better.

• Like 1

My father was coxswain of one of the landing crafts on Utah Beach. I have his diary from the days prior to the landing..he stopped writing a few days before DDay. He never ever spoke of the war although in addition to Utah Beach he landed troops at Iwo Jima as well. The ship he was on, the USS Bayfield, was also at Okinawa but did not land troops there.

I visited Normandy with my wife and kids a few years ago. It was quite the experience for sure.

• Like 1

My Dad was in WWII. He was a photographer in the Signal Corps, so never on the front lines. He never talked about the war, I should have prodded him more to tell me more about it. Too late now. All I can say is God Bless all of them. The sacrifices they all made to give all of us the lives we now enjoy.

MG- Have a blast, soak up as much of the history as you can and return safely.

• Like 1