Hope Gathering 2015 Pictures

mikebse2a3

• Moderators

Well that's about like us, a group photo with everyone looking the other way. :D

just some more pics.........look at the different wood grains on these black Rf 7's pic #2

Some fine woodworking, everywhere.

post-9700-0-19400000-1428986972_thumb.jp

post-9700-0-77200000-1428987186_thumb.jp

post-9700-0-45200000-1428987269_thumb.jp

post-9700-0-82280000-1428987437_thumb.jp

Edited by dtel

Then there is Dave. I have crossed swords with Dave on the forum in the past, picked each others brains, and come to respect each other through our children, but I was not preparred for the circus calliopie music, how could I have ever even guessed at that??

Roger, you ignorant slutte.  That was no calliope, that was the "Emperor," a Mortier dance organ that was made in Belgium in the late 1880s. Playing from 80-key cardboard books, the Emperor contained 418 pipes plus 44 xylophone bars and the usual organ traps and was meticulously restored by Paul Eakins of St. Louis, MO.  Circus music??  That beloved piece is by Julius Fucik who was trained in composition by Antonin Dvorak.  In 1897, became bandmaster for the 86th Infantry Regiment of the Austro-Hungarian Empire based in Sarajevo. It was shortly after that he wrote the piece you heard, the Einzug der Gladiatoren or "Entrance of the Gladiators" which remains patriotic and much loved in the Czech Republic.  The recording is the legendary Audio Fidelity AFSD 5975, 1962 and one of the earliest stereo LP releases.   

Not everything is about the genre...this one is about nuanced listening to a masterpiece of recording and engineering where you can hear each and every linkage, air valve, and such as through an open window to half a century ago. 

It's for audiophiles.

You wanna cross swords with me, buddy?  Come on, bring it on...   :P 

BTW, Danny is a prince and I've no idea where you rented the rest of your family!

Dave

Edited by Mallette
  • Like 3

That was no calliope, that was the "Emperor," a Mortier dance organ that was made in Belgium in the late 1880s. Playing from 80-key cardboard books, the Emperor contained 418 pipes plus 44 xylophone bars and the usual organ traps and was meticulously restored by Paul Eakins of St. Louis, MO. Circus music?? That beloved piece is by Julius Fucik who was trained in composition by Antonin Dvorak. In 1897, became bandmaster for the 86th Infantry Regiment of the Austro-Hungarian Empire based in Sarajevo. It was shortly after that he wrote the piece you heard, the Einzug der Gladiatoren or "Entrance of the Gladiators" which remains patriotic and much loved in the Czech Republic. The recording is the legendary Audio Fidelity AFSD 5975, 1962 and one of the earliest stereo LP releases.

You didn't know that Roger????   Jeeesh.

Edited by Mallette

Thad and I are already planning an audiophile tent far enough from the main gathering as to not interfere with your music.

Outstanding.  I know a little island down there that's just the place.  One way in and easy to defend against those drooling zombies approaching bearing that modern synthetic drivel posing as "music." 

Dave

Sounds like a good place for a siege.  Bring a lot of food or at least a fishing pole and you'll be good.  On to more planning now as I've solved my first dilemma.

BTW Dave, I called you back on 2 different numbers Sunday night and left a recording on each.

Inside the chamber.  It was so dead sounding in there, I could barely hear my phone taking the picture.  It was bizarre.

PWK and Jim Hunter built that Anechoic chamber themselves!

Roger

yeah - he really liked that chamber - chamber_635071509423870000_medium.jpg

• Like 2

It's for audiophiles.

Thad and I are already planning an audiophile tent far enough from the main gathering as to not interfere with your music.

I will also be happy to help with this planning....

Noted. 

I purposely quoted you so I'd have a permanent record in case you deleted your post and backed out. :)

I will be bringing my exquisite recording of Emperor Penguins having raucous underwater sex as they discuss the merits of krill vs. squid to the next Pilgrimage.  It is an uber audiophile recording from the personal audio vault of the Pope. You can actually hear their toenails growing! This I will play as we eat copious amounts of animal flesh as it has miraculous digestive powers that are inexplicable. 

• Like 2