Does anyone have experience with these high dollar coolers?

Travis In Austin

Considering the Coleman is 25% of the price, is half the weight, has better ice retention 

I don't believe it for a minute that this cheap Coleman would outperform a Yeti.  As for ice retention, the secret to Yeti's is to pre-cool it, basically you put some ice in it a couple of days before your trip, then put fresh ice then your chillable items in it when you're ready to go.  Also keep the water drained.  I know guys who are going 6 days at a time on a pack of ice in hot weather when they do this.  

The plastic is going to be stronger as well.  I have a $200 Igloo marine cooler and the plastic gets fragile after about a year, one hinge broke as did one of the loops that holds the handles on, as did the strap that holds on the drain plug.  From what I gather, Yeti's don't have this problem.  There is a 3-gunner that I know that had an empty Yeti in the back of his truck, was going down the highway and hit a bump, it got airborne enough that some wind got under it and threw it out and it landed on the road going 65 mph.  Didn't harm it at all.  I can't even pick mine up without worrying that some plastic is going to break.  

They also have a real tight seal which is something you're not going to find on cheap coolers.  

Maybe the fact that the coleman had a leaky drain valve even though it was new helped with the ice retention test.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I don't believe it for a minute that this cheap Coleman would outperform a Yeti.

Actually 5 out of the 7 coolers tested had just as good or better ice retention than the Yeti and only one scored worse.

Edited by CECAA850

I don't believe it for a minute that this cheap Coleman would outperform a Yeti.

Actually 5 out of the 7 coolers tested had just as good or better ice retention than the Yeti and only one scored worse.

Here is a picture journal of that same Igloo that supposedly scored the best being put to shame by a Yeti.  

http://gearjunkie.com/camping-coolers-kelty-yeti-igloo

Here is a picture journal of that same Igloo that supposedly scored the best being put to shame by a Yeti. http://gearjunkie.co...elty-yeti-igloo

No mention of the Coleman.  The igloos in the 2 different tests were 20 qt difference if that matters at all.  It may not.  Who you going to believe?  For the record, I don't own either.

That's strange to me. I thought the Yeti's were revolutionary when it came to preserving the Ice. I guess everyone else just upped their game to get very similar performance. Obviously the Yeti and other high dollar units are better constructed, I just don't want to have to be peeping out my windows worried about a $300 plus dollar ice chest  in the back of my truck!

Geez, how many old school Coleman coolers have I owned that left my truck with friends having a few beers in them only to never make it back home. Its a no brainer decision for me now

• Like 1

We still have a couple i bought at wallyworld a few years back, they are dam good. ill look at the namme next time in the garage.

The only problem we have with the Yeti's is you have a new worry when not in camp, someone might steal the dam thing.

Most of the time at the claim is 12 hours gone frrom camp. so now we drag them into the fifth wheel.

P.S. Altough Yeti's are built to last forever, $200, no more, the Bay get them in the winter time.

Edited by minermark

When I was a kid, there was no such thing as high end coolers like this, or if there was, I wasn't aware.  Coca Cola came out with what was considered to be a super nice one at the time.  We went camping in the smoky mountains and some other people had one.  A bear came in the middle of the night and tried to raid it.  Couldn't get the lid open so the bear drug it between two trees and started smashing it back and forth until it finally came open.  It grabbed some stuff then disappeared into the woods.  

• Like 1

I learned how boaters spend money when my boss filled up the 600 gallon tanks with fuel for two V8's on one outing. Then you have to pay the dingus for lifting the boat out of the water for winter storage. Then the 150 dollar per gallon stuff to redo the bottom. Then somebody leaves the cutoff switch in the wrong position and you have to pay to have somebody find the problem. Then there is always the prop replacement after running into a log or rock. The radar got full of water and doesn't work. On and on.

JJK

thus the truth in post #9    (But, they sure are fun).

We use a lot of coolers at work. The ARB is way expensive but by far the best option for maintaining cold and even freezing temeratures for indefinite periods.  Electric, so no need for ice and you can set the temp where you want it.  Runs off AC or DC and won't drain your truck battery.  Very clean, reliable, and robust.  Not to be confused with the much cheaper Coleman electric coolers.

http://www.arb.com.au/products/fridges-camping-accessories/arb-fridge-freezers/

• Like 1

In my younger days I used a dry ice shipper container which was just really thick stryofoam.  The walls must have been 3 or 4 inches thick but the lid was not quite as thick.   I kept the lid shut with a couple strips of duct tape... one acted as a hinge and the other just had to be replaced once in a while.  Ice lasted for days in the heat of the summer.  

Saw video that shows how to build or rebuild a long term cooler on the cheap if you need long term cooling and durability isn't an issue.

The Yeti's seem crazy expensive but saw an Igloo in Sam's built the same way. And much more expensive than normal Igloos. Supposed to be able to be locked up tight enough including with a lock to keep bears out?

Anyway. My thoughts are. Yeti's made in China, at least theone's I've seen. Igloo and Coleman made or at least assembled in the US so I'd go with Coleman or Igloo.

• Like 3