$125 La Scala - Oh Geeze! What have I got myself into now?

Matthews

Can you put the word out and try to get some XO's on the used market?

OK, yes :)  I need to get the WORD out !!!

NEEDED:

2 high frequency drivers (CT125 or K-77)

2 mid frequency drivers (K-55-M or V)

2 crossover networks

1 15" woofer (K-33E)

note: some parts dependent upon what x-over I end up using.

Edited by Matthews

I zoomed in on the base of the left speaker. I  thought it was dirty at first, but also looks like it has water damage. If they or one have been water logged, this may be a sign that you are destined to build some Cornscala's.  Looking at your custom pair of Chorus, which look incredible by the way,  I think maybe your subconscious already had that in mind. It will probably set in over night. 

• Like 2

OK, yes :) I need to get the WORD out !!!

Oh, man.  :rolleyes:   So what was the story on these things?  I thought the Ebay ad said something like one speaker sounded really great?  I assumed you would have to replace some drivers and go through the network, but from what you're saying, all you really got in the deal that was functional was some big wooden boxes that need a lot of work!

I think we can safely assume they weren't used only on Sunday's in the church sanctuary.

• Like 1

I wouldn't take the drivers apart at this point but you could put a meter on them to check the resistance (4 -16 ohm depending on driver) and verify the state of the coil.

Agree, but ultimately mids are easy to open and clean if they check ok Edited by jimjimbo

OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY !!!!!   :o  :D  :D  :o

both high freq and both mid freq drivers cleaned of debris and sound crisp n' clear -YAY-

I am tearing into these babies!!!  Take off that trap door and get to that woofer!!!

This may all be a case of just some loose wires.  Fingers crossed, buck-twenty-five fully functioning???

Edited by Matthews
  • Like 1

This may all be a case of just some loose wires. Fingers crossed, buck-twenty-five fully functioning???

You're dreaming.  :lol:

If you think about it, how about posting some pictures, especially of the XO's?  I bet some people here smarter than me would like to take a good look at them. 

• Like 1

I have a pair of AB x overs you can use to test out your new find. They are not highly sought after and are designed for Belles but would work just fine for what your after at this point. They were fully functional nine months ago when I upgraded. Let me know, I'll send em to ya.

• Like 4

One 15" woofer is bad. The other is GOOD!!!  One speaker near to fully functioning!  WooHoo. Now to get to work on those X-overs :)

I have a pair of AB x overs you can use to test out your new find.

Sir Mookie, I am really going to have to find something special, just for you :emotion-51:  :emotion-29:  :emotion-19:

If you think about it, how about posting some pictures, especially of the XO's?

"wvu", I am on it.  Have been snapping some photo's as I go.  Just too excited to stop and load them all 3 times to post.  I promise to take a break soon my Brother :emotion-21:

• Like 2

Love the handles!  

That water damage on the bottom looks a little scary.  Any sign of dry rot?  There is treatment that will kill the dry rot fungus.  Repair can be complete: http://www.systemthree.com/projects-rot-repair.asp

It has been years ago but I saved a 130 year old quilt chest that had active dry rot as I was watching it crumble away.  I can't find the recipe but I soaked it in a solution of boric acid, propylene glycol, and something else I think... can't remember.  Stopped the rot cold.  I did nothing else but clean off the solution because I figured it was better off left as original as possible.

That plywood is chippy so it will take some work.  I would include on your list of repairs to re-glue the entire inside of the bin.  I just put a thick bead of yellow glue on each joint and let it soak in (turn the bin so gravity works with you and let a side dry before you move to the next).  Also, this cabinet is going to need braces to keep down resonance of the bin.  You can make these yourself or Gothover has an interesting design of these now.  I'm getting ahead of myself.  Enjoy the process!  This is a lot of fun!

• Like 1

post-36834-0-34440000-1445059308_thumb.jpost-36834-0-87600000-1445059317_thumb.j

this is interesting, on the square magnet woofer (the bad one).

post-36834-0-20000000-1445060311_thumb.jpost-36834-0-64880000-1445060323_thumb.j

the fruits of todays efforts: one fully functional Klipsch La Scala

post-36834-0-67520000-1445061982_thumb.j

the other needs a woofer and may possibly have crossover issues. 

As soon as I get all the parts together for the remaining network/woofer repairs, it is time to be creative and have some fun with these horrific cabinets.

Thanks for following along :)

Edited by Matthews
  • Like 2