College Football Payoff predictions

DizRotus

Clemson's kicker (same guy) was suspended for cocaine at the beginning of the season. Now Dabo says it's the kicker's fault the other guys messed up. LOL, how you don't boot a player off the team for cocaine in the first place is beyond me. It's a top secret mess up there in Clemson.

**edited to say the kicker was suspended for cocaine use/possession at the beginning of the season.

Edited by wstrickland1

how you don't boot a player off the team for cocaine in the first place is beyond me. 

Discipline is inversely proportionate to level of talent.

Obviously you are joking about this, otherwise...... :pwk_bs:

I took it as a cynical commentary.  It's distasteful to think about, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were true in a lot of Big Time programs where the coach's job is ALWAYS in doubt.

Nope, I'm serious. The more talent you have, the less likely you are to be disciplined. if you think otherwise then you're the one being cynical.

I think the word "naive" might fit into the last word of the last sentence.

One can certainly be serious and cynical at the same time.  There are many examples where big name QB's commit offenses (who was the Florida State QB from a year or so ago, was it Jamis Winston?) that did something pretty outrageous.  His punishment was that he couldn't start the next game, he had to come off the bench. 

OK, I'm only going to say this once, however I don't believe this is the exception to the rule....there are many more out there.

Carl, totally disagree, and this is beginning to piss me off, and mainly because you make a blanket statement without reasoning.

My nephew is 18 years old, and was a 4 year varsity starter for his HS football team as the Quarterback.  He just recently concluded is football career.  He won state championships 3 out of those 4 years.  He has been named to every city, county and state team you can imagine.  He holds almost every single school record for a QB.  He was recently honored as one of the state's scholar athletes.  He carries a 4.0 GPA.  He was also recently named as a Maxwell Football Club award winner.  He is being recruited by several D1 schools.  He was diagramming plays in the backyard of his home when he was 5.  He had his own playbook professionally created when he was 8, with over 200 separate plays, both on offense and defense.  And, oh yea, his father (my brother), has been his coach for this entire time, as well as his high school coach.

What it comes down to is family and your upbringing.  If you don't have discipline in the home or in your school or in your neighborhood, no matter what your talent level, at some point it will probably catch up to you.  Lots of these elite athletes get in trouble because they don't know how to say "No".  And the reason why is because they've rarely had anyone say "No" to them....

OK, rant over.  Back to the grind....

We seem to be making completely different points Jim but if it pissed you off then it wasn't a total loss. :D

First and foremost, I agree with everything you say.  I would also be extremely proud of your nephew.  MY point was that the kids with more talent are allowed to get away with more shenanigans without repercussion than the 3'rd or 4'th string guys.  It's pretty much a given and is talked about all the time.  It then carries on to the pros where the same pattern exists.

• Like 2