see what happens when you mock Ketchup

BigStewMan

Getting old isn't for *******.  Watching things like the holy hamburger degenerate into haute cuisine over a lifetime has been hard.  Texans generally agree it originated in Athens, Texas.  That account is fair and balanced, IMHO, even if it is Texas Monthly. 

He describes it right, to a point:  mustard, lettuce, onions, pickles, tomato on a toasted bun.  The only part that is modern is "buttered" toasted bun.  It's quite good, but the real deal is this:

Hand made patties of no more than 80/20 ground chuck fried in a cast iron skillet just big enough for the number you need to cook.  When the burgers are done, the buns are then placed right in the accumulated fat to fry/brown to a nice crust and the rest assembled as quickly as possible. 

THAT is the quintessential American hamburger.  My mother first made them in the 1930s precisely that way on the beach in Galveston, Texas and that's how she made them at home.  The story of her baked Coney Island hot dogs is another way to a sweet and early death I have passed down to my son.  

Dave

Dave,

Right in this area, we have three Kewpee Hamburger Joints, I believe there is only one other left in the country, making this the second oldest hamburger joint in the country next to White Castle. The Kewpee down town originally only had a single wide lane next to the Burger Joint. There are pictures inside of Model A Fords driving in one at a time. After they got their burgers, they would go another 50 feet and there was a hand operated turn table that they turned the cars around, so they could drive out. As I stated, there are pictures of this in the store, and there are circular cracks where the black topped over it. In the last 30 years since I have lived here, they bought and tore down the building next to it to have a little bit of parking, but this Burger Joint was clearly here in the 1930s :)

Roger

mustard, lettuce, onions, pickles, tomato on a toasted bun.

Whataburger.

Jeff,

I worked in San Antonio for a 3 month contract, so I obviously had to try What-A-Burger and they are pretty decent when fresh, but OH MY GOD! They are the nastiest burger that I have ever tasted once they get cold!

I think that both 3 guys burgers AND Culverts butter burgers are both far superior to What-A-Burger :)

Roger

In the last 30 years since I have lived here, they bought and tore down the building next to it to have a little bit of parking, but this Burger Joint was clearly here in the 1930s

Makes sense given that is half a century into the hamburger.  I'll bet they're good...I am quite the omnivore. 

Dave

I think that both 3 guys burgers AND Culverts butter burgers are both far superior to What-A-Burger

Possibly.  But I've never heard of either of them so can't comment beyond that.  If I am ever somewhere I see one of those I'll check it out. 

Dave

mustard, lettuce, onions, pickles, tomato on a toasted bun.

Whataburger.

Jeff,

I worked in San Antonio for a 3 month contract, so I obviously had to try What-A-Burger and they are pretty decent when fresh, but OH MY GOD! They are the nastiest burger that I have ever tasted once they get cold!

I think that both 3 guys burgers AND Culverts butter burgers are both far superior to What-A-Burger :)

Roger

Ditto what Dave said.  Never heard of the others.  You are right as regards a cold Whataburger.  That gave me a little laugh because I never thought about it, but now that you mention it, it's definitely true.  Especially with those fresh onions.

• Like 1

In the last 30 years since I have lived here, they bought and tore down the building next to it to have a little bit of parking, but this Burger Joint was clearly here in the 1930s

Makes sense given that is half a century into the hamburger.  I'll bet they're good...I am quite the omnivore. 

Dave

Dave from the home page for Kewpee http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrBT.RvD1VWneoADpJXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyajNjYXB2BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjEyMDRfMQRzZWMDc3I-/RV=2/RE=1448443888/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fwww.kewpee.com%2f/RK=0/RS=XoEjnGo2B9tCcnTx4v.4SsHqyeI- Started in the 1920s, most shut down during WWII when Meat became hard to come by. There are 5 left, the three we have here in Lima, Ohio, and two in Lansing, Michigan. The 3 here in Lima, Ohio get their ground beef patties from that slaughter house/store that I started working in when I was 15 years old :)

Roger

Jeff,

Now if we are going to talk about restaurants that Texas should be proud of, my vote would go to "Papa Deux", Yummy good seafood at a reasonable price with a decent ambiance :)

Roger

This is very true!  Anyone who likes seafood and has never been to Pappadeaux's needs to check it out.  It is very reasonably-priced for high quality seafood.  Their trick is they combine mush and slop with everything, and it all goes together so nicely.  Portions are large.

• Like 1

I think that both 3 guys burgers AND Culverts butter burgers are both far superior to What-A-Burger

Possibly.  But I've never heard of either of them so can't comment beyond that.  If I am ever somewhere I see one of those I'll check it out. 

Dave

Dave and Jeff,

Sorry, it is Five Guys Burgers and Culvers

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVzxjElVWNfgAIUBXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyajNjYXB2BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjEyMDRfMQRzZWMDc3I-/RV=2/RE=1448444644/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fwww.fiveguys.com%2f/RK=0/RS=vFfr7wtzFz0VbUP2Qo3r4a3R5S0-

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVzxjElVWNfgAIUBXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyajNjYXB2BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjEyMDRfMQRzZWMDc3I-/RV=2/RE=1448444644/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fwww.fiveguys.com%2f/RK=0/RS=vFfr7wtzFz0VbUP2Qo3r4a3R5S0-

Culvers is an ice cream joint that has really great burgers that they slather butter on the buns and then Brown. Five Guys Burgers is a great Burger and their small size fries comes in a brown paper Bag with easily enough for 3 people. They have skids of potatoes in the dining area as all fries are fresh, as well as the burger patties which are not frozen :)

Roger

Jeff,

Now if we are going to talk about restaurants that Texas should be proud of, my vote would go to "Papa Deux", Yummy good seafood at a reasonable price with a decent ambiance :)

Roger

This is very true!  Anyone who likes seafood and has never been to Pappadeaux's needs to check it out.  It is very reasonably-priced for high quality seafood.  Their trick is they combine mush and slop with everything, and it all goes together so nicely.  Portions are large.

Jeff,

When my three months was up in San Antonio, my best friend flew down, and we took a week long rode trip getting back. Went to the big easy, went bow fishing on an air boat one day, and shotgun duck hunted and were dropped off by the same air boat the next day. Bought about 8 pounds of the Largest fresh Shrimp we could get at the docks and went to the Hyatt I believe in New Orleans and peeled them all and plugged the toilet trying to flush the shells. Ate both Raw and fried Oysters with some of the hottest horse Radish I have ever had at the restaurant on the corner right across from the Beniot place that is so famous in New Orleans. Checked out the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green Kentucky and Mammoth Cave on the way home. :) We ate at two separate PappaDeuxs in Texas, and they had a 7 pound lobster in the tank :)

Roger

Jeff,

Roger

Jeff,

When my three months was up in San Antonio, my best friend flew down, and we took a week long rode trip getting back. Went to the big easy, went bow fishing on an air boat one day, and shotgun duck hunted and were dropped off by the same air boat the next day. Bought about 8 pounds of the Largest fresh Shrimp we could get at the docks and went to the Hyatt I believe in New Orleans and peeled them all and plugged the toilet trying to flush the shells. Ate both Raw and fried Oysters with some of the hottest horse Radish I have ever had at the restaurant on the corner right across from the Beniot place that is so famous in New Orleans. Checked out the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green Kentucky and Mammoth Cave on the way home. :) We ate at two separate PappaDeuxs in Texas, and they had a 7 pound lobster in the tank :)

Roger

I like road trips.  They give so many great memories.

• Like 2

Just going to go right out and say it Bigstewman, Ketchup is just a condiment and not a main course. sorry dude :(  

All i know is that if can see any food underneath that heavenly red wonderment than i haven't used enough Ketchup.  I actually had a waitress stop at my table once and say, "Never in my life have i seen someone use so much Ketchup." 

When i was a kid, my Mom threatened to give me a loaf of bread and a bowl of Ketchup for dinner -- i was so excited.

This has been, by far and away, the best and most informative ketchup thread I have ever seen on the Klipsch forum! Just outta this world! And loaded with more high quality info than I think I've ever seen! Let's keep it going!! How about those ketchup caps on the bottles! isn't the new one astounding?!! 

• Like 1