see what happens when you mock Ketchup

BigStewMan

On 11/22/2015 at 5:32 PM, Mallette said:

Funny thing about these oils.  They are demonized.  However, seems most studies assume you are drinking the stuff.  When I consider the tiny quantities actually consumed with PROPERLY fried foods I find it silly.   Maybe a tablespoon with a big heap of fries, but I suspect a lot less. 

Anyway, not going to lose sleep over it.

Dave

A tbsp of oil is 120 calories.  A large potato is 280 calories.   There are 640 calories in Whataburger's large fries.  We are missing 240 calories.  Maybe there is a lot more potato in a large order of fries.

3 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Regardless, it is disappointing that a Whataburger is 600 calories, while a large fries is 640.  That's already an over-sized meal by a pretty good shot.  If you drink a medium (20 oz) coke with it, that's another 240.  The meal just went to 1,480 calories.  Want cheese with that?  

years ago, i stopped at a Jack-in-the-Box and got a burger, fries, and soda.  Came home to eat, turned on the television and some documentary was on...think it was called Supersize Me.  About some guy eating only McDonalds or something...kinda weird to watch while eating junk food.

• Like 2

I never have a large fries, and rarely even a medium.  Small is enough.  I don't know anything about calories, other than the definition, but as to carbs your basic "No. 1" at any of these places is 120 carbs regardless of what it consists of.  That assumes a non-diet drink. 

Dave

2 minutes ago, Mallette said:

I never have a large fries, and rarely even a medium.  Small is enough.  I don't know anything about calories, other than the definition, but as to carbs your basic "No. 1" at any of these places is 120 carbs regardless of what it consists of.  That assumes a non-diet drink. 

Dave

Interesting that you count carbs.  I don't know how, but I have a pretty good idea of calories content just by knowing ingredients and sizes.

4 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Interesting that you count carbs.  I don't know how, but I have a pretty good idea of calories content just by knowing ingredients and sizes.

Type 1 diabetic.  No choice.  Have to counteract every carb with a precise bolus or lose my feet or worse.  I am very, very good at it and my blood sugar is "essentially normal" in ag1c tests, about 7.2.  95 percentile of type 1 Diabetics.  Could live nicely without the disease, but I sort of make a computer game out of it where low score wins.

Dave

What Americans need to gorge on is oysters.  I can eat 3 dozen and don't have to take ANY insulin unless I have a few crackers with them...and crackers are only 2 non-sugar carbs each.  Have to eat about 20 crackers to matter.  More dieters should have crackers and good cheese for snacks. 

Dave 

Not a problem, BSW.  20 years for me.  Sudden onset at 47 and damn near killed me.  Actually, diagnosis was a miracle.  I'd lost 40 lbs, had purple splotches all over my body, my stomach felt as if someone built a fire in it, my mouth and tongue were dry as cardboard, and I was seeing giant spiders on the ceiling.  I was convinced this was it and really didn't care...just wanted it to be over.  Couple of doses of insulin...and I checked  out directly from the ICU against medical advice and went home feeling like I was 18.  NEVER question the value of your pancreas! 

Anyway, I learned to control my blood sugar and eat whatever I want.  Neat thing is that I don't want much.  While I still love the taste of food, I don't have any "cravings" as such since those are driven by natural insulin.  Since I take my after the fact, I could quite happily starve myself to death and never be hungry. 

Really, the worst danger is insulin shock which can, and does, kill.  Great thing is that I remain "hypoglycemic aware" which means I still since it because I keep it under control.  The treatment for that dread and dangerous condition is BlueBell and a spoon.  There ARE worse terminal diseases....

Dave

7 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I always thought type 1 is juvenile onset...

Most cases.  But believed to be caused by an autoimmune reaction to a virus that affects the pancreas.  Probably a cold or something the mother had that didn't affect her but did affect her unborn child.  In my case, some virus that barely made me sick but was just right to shut down the pancreas.  One theory suggest that if you used the right antidote the pancreas would kick right back in. 

Dave 

26 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

years ago, i stopped at a Jack-in-the-Box and got a burger, fries, and soda.  Came home to eat, turned on the television and some documentary was on...think it was called Supersize Me.  About some guy eating only McDonalds or something...kinda weird to watch while eating junk food.

Film maker Morgan Spurlock. He gained about 30 lbs in a month. The funny part was he kept going to his doctor and all his number were going out of control, and gaining a bunch of weight. He didn't tell his doctor what he was up to.....funny.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • Moderators
32 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

don’t forget me this summer -- put me on everything!

Your relentless with the ketchup, but it could be worse.

Have you weaned yourself off of Del Taco, or do they have them where your at ? 

10 hours ago, dtel said:

Have you weaned yourself off of Del Taco, or do they have them where your at ? 

they have one here...only one though.  i actually went about seven weeks and only had it twice; but, i’m getting back in to the routine now.  There really isn’t a good place to eat up here.  i spent the past couple of weeks trying the local joints and have yet to find a good one--some have been downright horrible, and i mean don’t even finish eating it horrible. it’s rather perplexing--there are over 90,000 people living here, you’d think that there would be food revolution by now. it’s not just me though, my brother has thrown away as much food as he’s eaten. Also, i spent a great many years eating military food and enjoyed it, so i’m really not a picky eater.

if the del taco ever closes, i may end up with a bottle of ketchup and some hot water as my diet.