Dumber and Dumber Music

Jim Naseum

Pretty dumb way of measuring intelligence there.  Seems to primarily be based on word count and how long the words are.  So Rhianna gets 8th place for "diamonds" because of a 382 word count.  Only problem is that:

120 of them is due to repeating "Shine bright like a diamond".  

70 is due to repeating "We're beautiful like diamonds in the sky".  

24 is due to repeating "We’re like diamonds in the sky".  

21 is due to repeating "So shine bright tonight, you and I".  

15 due to repeating "Eye to eye, so alive".  

So somehow she gets a high score for supposed intelligence when in reality, 250 out of her 382 words is dumb repetitive crap.  This is literally the stupidest song I have ever heard.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

^ Agree is DUMB.  However, it has sooooooo much competition.

I notice the same "dumbing down" in the lyrics put on the screen at church.  Oh, what I would give to see some capital letters, some commas, and an occasional period--you know, "like" at the end of a sentence.

And I hesitate to think what I would give for a semi-colon once in a while, and words having, even occasionally, more than one or two syllables!

Guess I'm dreaming. Or, I may only be reminiscing of a time long ago  . . . .

Edited by JiminSTL

A little off path but why is there the need to change words in well known songs. Specifically, thy, thou, or thee to either you or your. Does no one know what the original words mean? It's a pet peeve of mine...just bugs me that we're now to dumb to know the originals? End rant...back to regular programming.

Pretty dumb way of measuring intelligence there.  Seems to primarily be based on word count and how long the words are.  So Rhianna gets 8th place for "diamonds" because of a 382 word count.

I guess that makes all the great classical minds of the movements ignorant by this tests standard, huh? :\

• Like 1

I notice the same "dumbing down" in the lyrics put on the screen at church.  Oh, what I would give to see some capital letters, some commas, and an occasional period--you know, "like" at the end of a sentence.

And I hesitate to think what I would give for a semi-colon once in a while, and words having, even occasionally, more than one or two syllables!

Guess I'm dreaming. Or, I may only be reminiscing of a time long ago  . . . .

You just now noticing that?

It's a badge of honor nowadays to butcher the language. People are proud of their ability to spell no better than a third grader, and you expect more?

Some smart *** will come along now and prove my point.

Keith

• Like 1

I just noticed in your tag DFL.  Do you know what those initials mean in the competitive sailing world?  It's sort of a corollary to DNF.

I don't know DFL but I certainly know DNF.  I raced motocross for a looong time with many impressive DNF's to my credit, usually attributable to crashing my brains out.

+++

That lyric intelligence scale is accurate, but not portrayed very well because they compared hi/lo intelligence to each other, instead of an absolute scale of 1-12th grade.  No genre even made it up to 4th grade.

If they put those results for ALL genres on a scale 1-12 the stupidity line would be ruler flat.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

One top 10 song I thought was pretty intelligent by today's standards is "if I die young". Surprised it didn't make the list, disappointed really. Lots of vivid imagery and similes/metaphors without using the term "like" even one single time. The whole thing is actually based on the poem "The Lady Of Shalott" by Alfred Tennyson. Notice the book cover 40 seconds in on the video.

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/bandperry/ifidieyoung.html

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/174626

Now you're literally going to tell me that "diamonds" by Rhianna is more intelligent? As far as that goes, "all about tonight"? It's about drinking and dancing at a bar. Seriously.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

<music, geek rant>

In pop music, I have difficulty with the "stu-stu-stuttering" on purpose...or the blatant repeating of a stupid word.

If they can't end a phrase exactly on the beat, then it's time to dig into the creative hat and pull out a new lyric or change the beat. But I find it really tasteless to simply repeat the same word into oblivion. What the hell is a studio good for?

Repeating a lyric is a powerful gesture....when the lyric actually bears substance.

In addition, I really miss editing and/or critical peer review before publishing. A chorus should never repeat more than twice. I find a lot of music from the late 90's forward that I could trim down to just a minute or two simply because the introductions take for-ev-er or they're singing the same thing over and over and over. Progressive intros certainly do have a time and place, but not everything has to be maximally progressive all-the-time.

On the backside of that, an entire industry could be made out of offering consulting services to musicians on fine art of "closing" a song. For example, the fade-out (made popular in the late 70's) was never acceptable in my book....same with droning on for 2-3 minutes extra.

IMO, most music isn't cool enough for that....even classical.

</rant>

• Like 1