What are you paying for WATER

Arrow#422

Just curious being here in the Great Lakes State.

15,000 gallons of usage.

1/4-ly bill for water & sewer = $145

Electricity 1,000 KwH = $160 

Closing the local coal fired plant in 2016 too even though it was 1/2 converted to nat gas.

I expect higher electric costs going forward due to buying off the grid.

With less plants, blackouts will be larger if / when they happen.

Edited by Arrow#422

Just replaced an old 5 gallon per flush toilet with a newer high efficiency model and we saved $12 this billing cycle, at this rate buying the good American Standard model should pay for itself in no time.

When you get to be my age you'll use more than that $12 in extra flushes.

• Like 2

Last Bill--4200 gallons for 45 dollars

Then they charge us for the same amout of sewage around the same price

about $90 a month.

I think it works out to about .011 cents a gallon usage and waste.

Edited by rebuy

Well 1500 gallons costs with sewer charge 47.80 I looked through some bills from the 80s and the cost for 4400 gallons was like 25.00. We use a lot less than before and pay a lot more. 5000 gallons a month is a lot.....how do you even use that much water?? 5000 gallons would be 160 a month here OUCH.

On the other hand my electric bill is around 80.00 the energy guide on the their web sight says I use 37% less than my neighbors. Last month I used 534 KWH usually I use less than that.

I use to tell friends at work water would one day be more than gas and they all laughed at me....that was in the 80s and look what people pay now at store...lol

• Like 1

No clue here.  I'm on a well that (evidently) tapped into or near an old (locally known about) underground spring.

The water is great however it has some calcium in it.  Refill rate on the well is over 100 gallons a minute.  Inside flow is around 30/gallons a minute (measured a bit by guess so I'm sure the number isn't terribly accurate)

Since I'm pulling well water out of the ground and putting it back into the ground via my septic system, I view any of my usage as more 'borrowing' the water.  

I've yanked any restrictors out of the showers and even replaced some 1/2" pipes in basement with 3/4" pipes so I could create a killer shower down there (3/4" hot, 3/4" cold pipes and 3/4" valves throughout shower)

I guess my increased cost is electricity to pump it out and heat it.  (comes out pretty nice & chilly, even in summer)

• Like 1

Well 1500 gallons costs with sewer charge 47.80 I looked through some bills from the 80s and the cost for 4400 gallons was like 25.00. We use a lot less than before and pay a lot more. 5000 gallons a month is a lot.....how do you even use that much water?? 5000 gallons would be 160 a month here OUCH.

On the other hand my electric bill is around 80.00 the energy guide on the their web sight says I use 37% less than my neighbors. Last month I used 534 KWH usually I use less than that.

I use to tell friends at work water would one day be more than gas and they all laughed at me....that was in the 80s and look what people pay now at store...lol

Back in the late 70's, I was warned that water would cost $1-2 per glass - BS, I said.  Well, go buy a 16oz bottle at $1.50 and you're essentially paying $12 per gallon.  I can turn on the tap in the house and pay less than 2 CENTS.  The price of convenience.  

As for usage, 5000 gallons a month is what 170 gallons per day.  Ouch!  But wait, for a family of 4 thats 35 gallons each user daily.  That sounds a little better. With showers & toilets being the heavy usage, I suppose it's about right even though their is always room to improve.

For well users, you've either got it REALLY good, or REALLY bad.  My yard / grass is watered by well water that is arguably just as good as the water coming from the treatment plant.  

Edited by Arrow#422

I don't know. There is no meter on my well.

JJK

I thought about a meter as I was curious what I was getting inside.

What I did was got a six gallon bucket, went to my pressure tank with a hose.

Got the stopwatch going and filled the 6-gallon bucket for 15 seconds.  Took a quart measuring cup and started dipping out to get an idea what I was using for the 15 seconds times four to get an idea of what it might be per minute.

Not highly accurate but gives an idea.

• Like 1

About 20 gal / minute.

We used to use this method frequently when laying out irrigation systems.

With increased flow &/or pressures, the results can be highly inaccurate especially if that 5 gal bucket can be filled in <10 seconds.

I've seen 5 second fills while doing this and it was a WET experience.  :)

Most recent bill - 2059 gal. - bill is $15.71.

Forgot... my last electric bill was $59.79, but we have old sash windows and added on storm windows. I'm sure that would drop if we were to replace the windows with new, high efficiency windows.

Bruce

My 1/4ly water bill is roughly $275.00 averaged out, I have also redone my toilets with the push button actuators on them to pick a "half flush,or full flush" to save water.My shower heads are also down to 1.5 GPM with flow restrict heads and 1 GPM for my sinks (I tried the 1/2 GPM but it's not strong enough). The newer inserts are higher pressure so you really don't feel the difference.

Electric bill averages about $160.00 monthly and I'm in the process of converting to all LED bulbs. Have been toying with going "green" with the house. My taxes alone on the house are more than most peoples mortgage payments in other states. $12,000.00 a year and they continue to rise in a down market.9 years in the house and taxes went from $7200.00 to $12,000.00. Only thing they got me was a new trash and recycling bin that say they are the property of my township.

Gotta love NJ.

2400 sq ft house on 60 acres = $800 property tax here. :)

Yea, rub it in more,lol.

My house has the smallest lot 60x100 on my whole block but has the highest taxes,higher even than some of the new build homes. I have a raised ranch and the main level is 2352 SF, and basement is 2000 SF but not finished.