Talk me out of not buying a 4 door Jeep Rubicon

Max2

So when are you coming over for a for a glass of pop?  I'll provide the CF-4's, you provide the tunes.  :D

I hope you like head banger stuff ;)

Since I presume you're speaking of Tchaikovsky, then yeah, sure.    :emotion-21:

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

I would equate this to someone who spends more for their RF-7II than I did for my TSCMs because the RF-7IIs are prettier but obviously don't sound as good, or choosing $25,000 Paladiums over much better sounding Klipsch Horns or Jubilees which are both proven to sound much better at less than half the price, because the Paladiums are much prettier.

Purchase decisions are made based on the buyers criteria.  The fact is that appearance and size is a criteria.  Not everyone has the space or desire to pack TSCMs, Klipschorns, or Jubilees in their living rooms.  That doesn't mean that you should criticize their decisions. 

• Like 1

The stock H-1 will eat the stock Rubicon in any real off roading experience :)

Roger

Not really.  Depends on what it is.  Mud, yeah, H1's all the way.  

Rocks though?  Yeah right.  Tight trails through the trees?  Not so much.  

But hell yes H1's are ridiculous in the mud.  They're great at going fast as well.  

I used to have a video of a Jeep Cherokee eating an H1's lunch on the rocks, they just suck at that.  Breakover angle isn't too great and they don't flex well, just too danged big and heavy.  

The planetary gears are awesome as well, lots of clearance.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Even with your off road experience, if you are only going to street it, it is like an ex track star wearing track spikes in public

Sure. BTW that's a much nicer way of putting it than calling me a retard. Just saying. :)

Personally I think Rubicons in general are overrated to be honest, at least in terms of off-road capabiliy. I don't really consider them to be the ultimate overkill option like you guys are acting like. Why?

The lockers have never been THAT great. The air lockers in particular had a bunch of problems, probably due to only having like 10 psi instead of like ARB that had more like 90 if I remember right. I haven't heard many issues out of the new ones but I'm sure there's better aftermarket choices out there.

The 4.0:1 transfer case is cool, and I wanted it due to almost flipping on a steep hill after getting stuck behind a guy with one, as well as experienced them in Arizona, but in the woods of west Kentucky most of the time it does more harm than good while actually wheeling. The crawl ratio is so low that its harder to keep your tire speed in mud. Most people would be better served with the traditional 2.7:1 ratio.

The electronic sway bar disconnect is actually pretty danged cool. This gets overlooked, but if you do much without one or with the manual disconnects then play with these, yeah its pretty nice.

Yeah you get rock rails but they're not exactly my favorite option, they're really narrow. The Call Of Duty edition has wider ones that block rocks from sandblasting your rear fenders. Actual Rubicon rails aren't as nice.

Other than these things all you're getting is larger tires and different axle gearing. You get other things like a nicer interior but that's about it in terms of off-road capability.

That's just a really mild build to be honest, for pretty cheap, only $3,000 more than a Sahara, which nobody would bat an eye at for supposedly being overkill. If you're already spending well over 30 grand on a vehicle, you might as well just get what you want, no? Even if you did nothing but regear it later on to accommodate slightly larger tires, you're looking at half that difference or more. Acting like its overkill just doesn't make any sense from what I've seen.

• Like 1

you might as well just get what you want

Which brings me back to my original question to Max.  Has your wife driven either one of these?

My wife has driven my old extended cab F-150 a good bit back in the mid 90's. It had a 6" lift with 36" swamper Radials....just think Arkansas and you can visualize it.   She can handle anything, but she has to enjoy it to an extent.  She just wants an SUV, but we have an X5 which is not really capable of pulling a trailer now and we're not doing another wannabe SUV. At least with the Jeep it has the summer perks of pulling off the top or hitting a trail, etc etc.  We have a two year old boy and think a Jeep may be more fun in the Spring/Summer/Fall than a truck.  Even if she hates what I buy, she can always drive that Kraut Wagon which I must say is one of the best vehicles I have ever owned.  Jeep are cool and fun and I rent a beater JK every year when I go on vacation and suddenly get back in the Jeep mood.  Deep down I know after 18-24 months the honeymoon will be over and I will be wishing for that better mannered and more plush F-150. 

Even if she hates what I buy

I thought the vehicle was for her, or did I misread?

The kicker is she has a tiny Chevy Cruze that she has to put miles on for her company, so she spends the days traveling in that thing. I hate it and worry about her in that tin can.  She will not be confined to whatever we buy, but owning an X5, a Maxima and having that little Cruze as a backup pushes us towards something that is capable in all areas.  I guess we should look at it as a "rounded, family, do-all vehicle"    

The kicker is she has a tiny Chevy Cruze that she has to put miles on for her company, so she spends the days traveling in that thing. I hate it and worry about her in that tin can

Have you looked into the crash worthiness of a Cruze vs a Wrangler?  I'd be happier with my wife in a Cruze.  Check out the IIHS site.

Are you speaking of a real H1 or the GM model.

JJK

The H1 used GM engines, you could get a 350 gas engine, Early ones had 6.2 Diesels and later ones could be optioned with the 6.5 Turbo Diesel, but both the Military and Civilian models were made by General Dynamics, the same people that brought you the M-1 Abraham tank. General Dynamics eventually bought the 6.5 Turbo Diesel making capability from GM, so the H-1 was never built by GM. :) 

Roger

We rented a Cruze one time. Seemed like everything was backwards. The gas filler door was on the right, the lumbar and seat position controls were swapped, gauges and speedometer needles were upside down, can't remember what else but there was more. Drove me crazy.

We rented a Cruze one time. Seemed like everything was backwards. The gas filler door was on the right, the lumbar and seat position controls were swapped, gauges and speedometer needles were upside down, can't remember what else but there was more. Drove me crazy.

It all depends on what you're used to.  My wife's last 2 vehicles were (are) German.  They insist on putting the turn signals and cruise stalks next to each other.  It drives me crazy on trips until I get used to it and then I still mix them up.  In her current vehicle you have to put the key in your left hand to put it in the dash on the left side of the steering wheel to start the car. 

For the H1 fans, kind of a neat story. A customer orders a trailer from me once, was supposed to be for a military H1. I tell him he's probably over the weight limit, but he explains its for a special forces fast attack vehicle that was stripped down and weighs no more than 5,300 pounds. So, ok, whatever, I get it ready for him. He drives from something like Montana, picks it up in a $120,000 Mercedes G-wagen, then heads to New Orleans. When he gets there, he realizes there's nearly 3,000 pounds of underbelly bomb-proof armor on it. He was skeptical of driving the entire height of this country with more than 8,000 pounds worth of Humvee on the trailer, so he rents a big rig to haul it all back to Montana. He later took the armor off but he snapped a picture of it squatted on the trailer with it still on.  Come to find out, this guy is a collector of such things, probably has a whole warehouse full of military used vehicles.  But yes, special forces supposedly kicked some *** in this rig over in Iraq.  Notice that its black and not the standard green or desert tan, they used it like that over there apparently.  

trailer3_zpsuadbhkch.jpg

• Like 1

For the H1 fans, kind of a neat story. A customer orders a trailer from me once, was supposed to be for a military H1. I tell him he's probably over the weight limit, but he explains its for a special forces fast attack vehicle that was stripped down and weighs no more than 5,300 pounds. So, ok, whatever, I get it ready for him. He drives from something like Montana, picks it up in a $120,000 Mercedes G-wagen, then heads to New Orleans. When he gets there, he realizes there's nearly 3,000 pounds of underbelly bomb-proof armor on it. He was skeptical of driving the entire height of this country with more than 8,000 pounds worth of Humvee on the trailer, so he rents a big rig to haul it all back to Montana. He later took the armor off but he snapped a picture of it squatted on the trailer with it still on.  Come to find out, this guy is a collector of such things, probably has a whole warehouse full of military used vehicles.  But yes, special forces supposedly kicked some *** in this rig over in Iraq.  Notice that its black and not the standard green or desert tan, they used it like that over there apparently.  

trailer3_zpsuadbhkch.jpg

Was the H-1 drivable?

Why didn't he just fly out and drive it back?

Roger

Was the H-1 drivable?

Why didn't he just fly out and drive it back?

Roger

At least at the time, military used Humvees weren't street legal for some reason, they don't really come with a title.  There was a whole bunch of them that initially went for auction as cheap as $10,000 each, but you can't drive them on the road, can't license them.  Apparently since then there have been more that were street legal, but this was before that time.  

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/military-humvees-sold-to-the-public-may-soon-be-122967003027.html

• Like 1